Monday, March 30, 2009

Shopping for Vintage Linens - Part IV

It was a busy weekend. Besides working one full day, I did a lot of cleaning and organizing in my studio (I'd like to catch that messy gremlin who whirls through my studio every time I do a project, LOL!). Today it was errand-running and housework, but I did get some stitching in this afternoon. I'm working on a beautiful block that belongs to Karen South . We're in a Hearts themed round robin together for the Yahoo group Crazy Quilting International. Her block is done in rich jewel tones and has a centerpiece heart beautifully stitched for Karen by another of her RR buddies. I'll be able to show the block and my work on it in a couple days.

But for now, let's continue with the eye candy from Mormon Trader Antiques in Salt Lake, where my friend Joan (and DH Les) really ROCK the Antique World! LOL.


I'm going to caption each photo BEFORE it appears, so you can read about what you're seeing. Some of my insights will be brilliant, such as the following: Jester Marionette. (see?) (truth is, I just ran around snapping pictures of interesting things. In this shop, most EVERYTHING is interesting, so I had to whittle it down to a reasonable number of pictures. And I don't know the stories or information to tell you on some of them)....
Table of vintage plates (and other goodies tucked in)

Pinkness: glass and porcelain


Shelf #1 of Vintage Christmas (and other) decorations

Shelf #2 of Vintage Christmas (& other Holiday) decorations


A lovely, vintage SILK apron with incredible ribbonwork.

Close-up of the ribbonwork on the vintage silk apron

One rack of vintage adult and children's clothing (yes, there's more not pictured)

I loved this!

Here's a dressform with a lovely lace collar that I neglected to show before ...

Some hankie cases circa 1940's & 1950's


Parasol (don't know if it was a child's, but it looks so to me) & quilt


Moire book cover, painted


This is a corset, obviously. But look at the size and proportions compared to Joan's hands. Seem small to you? That's because it was a salesman's sample. The salesmen would carry several of these, in different styles, to the department store buyers. From the samples, the regular stock would be ordered.

Just a shelf o' goodies - hats, capelet, and a CQ Bear!

And so we come to the end of our antique store tour. I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have!! Next weekend there is an Antique Fair at the South Towne Expo Center (Sandy, UT) and Mormon Trader Antiques will be there - with new things (well, new OLD if you know what I mean) ...... can't wait!!

Hugs,
Cathy

6 comments:

  1. O.M.G..... a person might as well just bring a sleeping back to this place.... it could take you days to go through everything without missing one lovely piece. Wonderful tour Cathy.... thanks for taking us along. Hugs....Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Day, More lovely things, thanks for sharing them with us. Sucha wonderful antique place to shop at. I love everything lace soooooo all the laces I really enjoyed seeing. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those linens are gorgeous! What a fun place to go shopping. Thanks for all the fabulous pics!

    I just wanted to thank you for coming back to comment after my big goof, OOF!!!

    You have been officially entered into the giveaway and you are actually comment #201, how's that? Since blogger only shows the first 200 comments on the first page of comments you won't see it readily, but it's there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wear a corset just like that...LOL..just kidding. Can you imagine what those did to the organs????? Yikes. Love your shopping trip to antique malls. Next time I go I will take my camera and share with blogging friends too. It is lots of fun just to see goodies I think.Keep having fun for all of us, I'm enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the tour, it was awesome and beautiful. I don't think I could stand it, everything was great. glad you had a good time, bought some things and took pictures for us to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a fun trip, Cathy! Thanks for sharing pics! Are you going to the Antique Fair in Sandy and take more pics? hint,hint

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!