Friday, September 18, 2026

Catching My Breath

It was another busy week around here, but the rest of September looks to be finally settling down. Our family visitor from Arizona, Bruce’s older brother Marv, ended up arriving on Friday and leaving for home on Sunday morning after his high school reunion. He originally planned to stay about a week, but the travel wasn’t agreeing with him (he’s almost 83) and just wanted to get home. So the visit was short and sweet and Bruce and I may or may not have given each other a high five when he pulled out. Don’t judge; there are so many things I am not sharing! 

Other happenings this week that were fun: taking a landscaping class at a local garden center, playing cards with my friends at the clubhouse and picking out all the rest of the things for the upcoming remodel of the two bathrooms, living room floors and fireplace, as well as carpet for the master bedroom. The electrical work in the bathrooms (adding outlets and covering others, changing switchplates) has been completed. I also had a nice lunch out with one of my sons on Friday. Not so fun was my sleep study in order to get a new CPAP machine, but it wasn’t bad. The worst part was having to go check out the equipment at the hospital and then return it the next morning. On Saturday (tomorrow morning as I write this on Friday evening) a friend and I are going to the Jordan Valley Water Conservation Garden Park at the south end of the Salt Lake Valley to check out their water-wise gardens, weather permitting. It’s been raining a lot here lately, so we’ll see. Rather ironic, I think, if we were to get rained out.

But I managed to squeeze in some sewing this weekend, which is always fun. Not too much sewing, but then it was more than I thought would happen. I finally trimmed up the 45 yellow string blocks from the previous week and added another set of 15. So, here’s a total of 60 string blocks, pinned in sets of 15 for our Quilts for Kids chapter to use in kits. 


I always like to look at others’ pictures of quilt blocks or scraps to see if I have any of them in my stash. Do any of these yellow or gold fabrics live in your stash too?

My goal at the beginning of the month was to finish the final four blocks I needed for the Block of the Month class I took over the last year. I hated several of the blocks the instructor chose, so I decided to do my own. Last week I didn’t show any because I never got time to work on them. But this past week I got the last three sewn up. So here are those three blocks, which will each finish at 12” in the quilt.


This next one was easy-peasy, and is a contender I’m considering as one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks for 2027.


The next block is an RSC27 contender too. I think if I do select it, I’d use a multi-colored print as the center and constant (wherever the maroon dotted print is) and then use 2 different but complementing shades of any given color each month. 


So anyway, here are all 12 blocks together as I begin the assembly of the top. Right now, the only sewn sashings are the vertical strips between the blocks. Everything else is just pinned.


On the right is the backing batik fabric I’ll use, and on the left is what I’ll use as the outer border after I get the sashings and stop border sewn on.

My hope is to get some serious sewing done next week, if the sewing gods will cooperate. I think we have a plumber coming this weekend to move our sprinkler shut-off valve up from the crawl space to under the kitchen sink.  I’m also getting a haircut this weekend and attending our HOA Board meeting on Monday - my first as Vice President. Our President seems to think that I’m going to be his b*tch - he asked me to organize a going-away party for our trash collector person. Seriously? I suggested we meet him when he drives into the complex for his last garbage collection and serenade him with “For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow” on kazoos! Yes, that’s a joke - and it’s going to remain that way. I’m going to just say I thought he (the President) was joking. We all have more important business, right? Right.

Have a great week, friends. I’m linking up to Scrappy Saturday for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. 

7 comments:

Nann said...

Busy days for you! Your sampler quilt is coming along so well -- the Tula print is a great unifier.

Julierose said...

Oh I love that background fabric--I have some of the same that's waiting in the wings for inspiration to hit me.
Also, we love company--but (at 83 and 87 now--yikers!!) we also love it when they leave...hahaha.;)))
I like your yellow string blocks a lot...nice yellows, Cathy... you have so many nice projects going. Meanwhile, I am still "sort of" sorting through my stock of crafty stuff as well as fabric.... and trying to finish up my "littles". Four left now. Have a great weekend...
Hugs, Julierose

Sara said...

Your blocks are beautiful, and you chose well with that background. Sometimes company is good in short amounts of time. LOL I love those string blocks too.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What an awesome sampler and I love your contenders for the next RSC. We might have had a polka dotted fabric the same in the yellows. I too always look to see if I had some similar fabric in my stash!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

maybe there should be a committee to do going away parties and such? Sounds like a short visit from the brother was probably best

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I think a short visit from a relative is always better! I love your yellow strings, Cathy - can't say that I recognize any of them in particular, but I've probably had some that were very similar. The BOM quilt has lots of neat blocks! I like that star, too, and also the first one you showed made with the friendship star variations. We have been away from home this week, and I'm ready to get home and spend some time with my sewing machine again!

grammajudyb said...

Your BOM quilt is so so pretty. I 'm glad you were able to provide the brother with accommodations for his reunion and glad he didn't overstay his welcome. Mr. Busy says "fish and company go bad after 3 days". He turned 82 this week, so he knows what he is talking about. I don't think I have any matching yellows, but maybe the polka dots.....I love polka dots. Hope you get some serious sewing time in this week and don't have to practice with the BODs and kazoos.