Saturday, October 28, 2023

Hip Hip Hooray!

The blog post title has a double meaning today. I have a quilt finish and some new string blocks to share, as well as some news about a certain left hip.  Let me back up a bit. About a year ago, I had a bout of sciatica that sent me to the ER, where they did a hip X-ray to rule out the hips, although in the process it was revealed that my left hip had extreme osteoarthritis. Anyway, after the diagnosis of sciatica, some physical therapy and losing 60+ pounds over the last year, I had hoped to stave off problems with the hip. I worked like a madwoman in the yard this year, doing a lot of planting, hauling a full cubic yard of soil and just generally pretending to be a gardening superwoman. The yard is now put to bed for the winter (save two flowerpots that need to brought in), and it looks like I’ll be turning from garden beds to a hospital bed. 

View of Salt Lake Valley from surgeon’s 5th floor office window

The pain hit relatively suddenly a couple weeks ago. So I talked with my dear friend Terri, whose nephew is an orthopedic surgeon. Long story short, I went to see him (such a nice man!), got xrayed again (“the osteoarthritis in your hip is extreme PLUS”) and hip replacement surgery is scheduled for mid-November. I’m sorta scared, but I honestly can’t wait to be out of pain. I’m in good hands. So, listing the house is probably on hold for a couple months, and hubby Bruce is totally on board with helping me out. It seems fair enough to both of us since we’ve gone through his 15 arm surgeries together up to and including his arm amputation. We’re a great team in that regard!

But let’s turn to sewing. In keeping with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge’s October color of Light Neutrals, I continued sewing 6.5” string blocks. I used all my loose light neutral strings, as well as two of the handmade rolls of strings (two remaining for some future project) to make 3 groups of 15 blocks plus another 13. That’s 58 neutral string blocks. 45 of them will go to Quilts for Kids and the other 13 will stay here and join the 25 I made last week.


I also finished 15 multi-colored string blocks. So the total number of string blocks for the week was 73, and the October total string blocks sewn is 75+75+25+73, or 248 string blocks. My goal is to sew 400 by year end. 

But I’m also working on my annual Finishing Frenzy, and I finally have another little quilt to show. You’ve seen the top before, but now this is quilted and bound and ready to turn over to Quilts for Kids.



This aqua string quilt finished at 42x48”, and isn’t that backing fabric just perfect???

I also made some progress on the next RSC quilt in line by completing this top of blue, aqua, green and purple framed four patch blocks. This will be #2 of three planned Framed 4P blocks, which were sewn during 2022. 


I also wanted to share a picture of my Thousand Dollar Clock, LOL.  That was my nickname for the new range before I read the users manual and tried using it. But it’s great, and  it’s really nice not to have to rely on the microwave and other small appliances to cobble meals together!

When the old range was moved out, we naturally cleaned out from under where it sat for 17 years. Archeologists would’ve had a good laugh, concluding that there must have been cats in the house. Among the treasures: six felt catnip mice, a sparkly ball, 9 colored plastic straws (back when we used them before switching to reusable metal straws, the cats LOVED the neon straws and they’d routinely go missing from our drinks). And … a puzzle piece! Those little imps!

Linking up to Scrappy Saturday.

17 comments:

  1. sorry you are getting a hip replacement but I have heard recovery from that is much faster than one would think - it is knee replacement that has a much longer recover. Glad you and your husband (soon to be ex if I understood right) can work through this and wait a little longer to sell the house and start to lead separate lifes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your aqua string quilt is just beautiful, Cathy! I love that coordinating print that you put with the string blocks. The framed 4 patches make a great quilt, too. Your new stove looks quite amazing! Can you control it with your phone like a local friend showed me with her new one? :) Oh boy on the hip replacement... I would be scared, too, but you know you will feel a lot better when it's done. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers your surgery gives you relief. So much has improved in that surgical procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous quilt and quilt top finishes, Cathy! Best of luck with your upcoming surgery. That's one swanky thousand-dollar clock, too, and now you will be able to enjoy it for a little while longer during your recovery period! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you've had to endure such pain but glad you got a diagnosis and have the surgery scheduled! Does it hurt to sit and sew? (Thinking of the contraction of nerve/muscle when you bend your leg and ankle to push on the presser foot.) Your blocks will be the stars in many upcoming quilts! The first thing that comes to mind are the neutrals set together so the low-volume lights, lighters, and medium-ers catch the eye. Maybe with contrasting corners (lots of reds).

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one pretty cook stove! And digital clock too! You made great progress on your neutral strings. Fingers crossed and healing thoughts as you go forward with the hip surgery. I’m sure it will be successful and recovery easier since your WW success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're color sense is wonderful, that aqua quilt is a stunner! Good luck on your surgery anything is better than living in pain. Though I have heard from friends who have gone through it hip surgery is better than knee or ankle surgery, the procedure is so well studied now it's "easier" on the patient. though I would be wary of the "er" there's a lot not covered in "er's"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Firstly, I am really sorry to hear of the pain you are experiencing in your hip but glad you have the surgery scheduled. You are a strong minded lady so I am certain you will approach the forthcoming operation in a positive manner and be prepared to do all the follow up exercises. You have been sewing like a demon this week. All great - and the little aqua string quilt is beautiful! Love the colourful rectangle in the centre. Are the sides made from strips or squares of the colourful fabric ? Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sad to hear about all your pain!! That is so difficult to live with;000
    But happy to hear that you will be able to have surgery to repair your hip...I will be sending may good thoughts and prayers for you....;)))
    I really like that aqua string quilt and, yes, that backing couldn't be more perfect...
    Take care and don't overdo...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your achievements are all the more impressive considering your current pain. Wishing you all the best with your surgery. I'm not surprised you opted to showcase the turquoise and "rainbow" quilt. Stunning! You still have your sense of humor. Cats do have a way of secreting items under appliances and sofas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your picture of the mountains caught my attention. One of our sons live in Salt Lake and I love those mountains. Don't be worried about your hip surgery. Three years ago I was told I needed a hip replacement. Hummmm, if I lost enough weight and exercised more I'm sure I could avoid the surgery. Wrong!! In July, I had my right hip replacement. I'm 71 and within days I stopped pain medicine and was walking with the help of a cane. Bending restrictions lasted about 6 weeks but I was walking great by that time. Thank God we live during a time when this surgery has been perfected.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best wishes with your hip replacement, although scary, these ops are very sucessful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hip replacements are so common now, I'm sure you'll do fine, especially since you've lost weight and lead an active life. They get you up and about quickly. You sure do make string blocks fast. It's unfortunate that you have to postpone the house sale, but a few months probably won't make much difference.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, if it's not one thing, it's another! I'm sorry about your hip, but as others have said, the surgery seems to go really well. I'm sure you'll be dancing before too long. The aqua quilt is a stunner, and I love that backing fabric. And I'm insanely jealous of your new 'clock!' Take care of yourself, and I hope the pain is better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm just a month out from my second hip replacement, and you'll find it a LOT easier than most other orthopedic surgeries. My pain had also reached a point where it was constant, and I can honestly say the pain is gone!! You'll be so relieved! Love how you used that bright colorful fabric with those string blocks - so clever and looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great read, Cathy, other than the news about your poor hip. But with modern medicine these days, I'm sure you will be relieved of pain and moving around much better than before. So good luck with that.
    Love seeing your pretty projects and my, great progress on them. You have an eye for choosing fabric combinations. I think I've told you that before.

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of our friends had a hip replacement and he is thrilled with the results. He needed crutches and a cane for a little bit but now you'd never know. So worth it not to have pain!
    Good idea to put off the house sale and let Bruce do some nursing. Better make sure he knows how to use that shiny new stove!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!