Saturday, October 14, 2023

Goals

I don’t know about you, but without goals in my life, I’d be rudderless. As the saying goes, if you don’t know where you’re going, how will you know when you get there? That’s not only true for our lives in general, but for all the mileposts and events along the way. Now, I’m not going to get into life goals or religion or anything like that, but I am going to mention some of the “interim” goals I’ve set for myself over the last year or two. Are you a goal person? A list person? A fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants person?  

But before that (and in case you’re only here for the sewing and quilting pictures, LOL), I’m going to share what I worked on in the studio this week.

First up, I basted two quilts and actually got one quilted, bound and labeled. It’s a small donation quilt for Quilts for Kids. The top was made from a kit in our last workshop (September), and I haven’t shown this before now.

The pattern, which I’ve seen in an old magazine, on the Missouri Star site and the Fat Quarter site - all named something different - starts with a charm square. To that you sew two random 2.5” scraps along one side and two longer ones across the top. The strips are kept in the same orientation for all blocks, and yields a block that is 9” (8.5” finished). The blocks are then turned around to different positions for the quilt top assembly.


So, this whipped up very quickly, and measures 38.5x46.5”. It’s the first quilt finish of my Fourth Quarter Finishing Frenzy, a personal sewing challenge.

Next I tackled the Christmas Stars quilt. My goal for the week was to sew 4 (of the 8 total) sections together. And I met my goal! Come to think of it, once I get the 8 sections together, there is still a row of single 8” stars (already made) to add to the very bottom edge to lengthen it, so I guess there are 9 sections. But anyway, here is a picture of the four finished sections hanging out and getting to know each other on the design board.

Yes, that right-most section is supposed to be 4” shorter; the section that will go beneath it will make up the difference. One thing you can’t tell unless you look closely (so, of course, you’re going to click on the picture and look closely, aren’t you? I knew it.....) is that although the Kona red background is the same throughout, it did come from two different bolts (read: same color, different dye lot). I’m thinking that even the Quilt Police won’t notice it once it’s quilted. 

And here is the same picture marked up to show the sections. “A” is on the left, “B" is top center, “C" is bottom center and “D" is on the right. My numbering lettering system is to help me retain my sanity. 


Please excuse all the weird lines and text as I learn to work with Markup on my iMac - not as intuitive as on my iPad. 

So, next week my goal is to finish the top; Sections E-H. I’ll get a picture at that time if I can. The above sections, roughly half of the quilt, take up the entire design board, so unless my friend Ruby is back from India and Nepal in time to be a quilt holder (she’s the only one except my neighbor Jason who is tall enough!), we may have to wait until it’s back from the quilter. More on that next week.

Before moving on to show you my string blocks sewn for the week, I want to share this tool with you and see if any of you use it or are familiar with it. It’s called a height compensator, and comes with Bernina machines. Do you have or use something similar? It’s three little plastic wedges held together by a screw that swivels, and you place it behind the needle (see picture) to help your machine get over “humps” in the seamline. You can use one, two or all three plastic pieces for varying thicknesses. With all the star points made of HST’s in this quilt, you can imagine that no matter which way you press the seams in a given block or row, sooner or later you will have to sew over 4 or more layers of fabric. Enter the height compensator.


Without it, the thread breaks or the machine stalls out or the fabric gets pushed into the feed dogs... In other words, this little tool is worth its weight in gold. You just sew up to the edge of the bump, stop, raise the foot and insert the height compensator behind the needle (it lifts the entire foot), and then resume sewing. Works slick as a whistle! You’re welcome!

Ok, here are 75 more string blocks from this week. The 75 from last week are the large pile at the top (back), and the other 5 piles are 15-block batches, as usual. I’ve sewn a few more than these, but since I group them in batches of 15, I just carry the leftovers into the next week. :-) You may remember that my goal for this fourth quarter is to sew 400 string blocks. 

Other goals accomplished this week: I ordered fabric for a quilt I’m planning for a friend who gave me an unbelievably generous gift a few weeks ago. It’s a story for another time. I’m hoping my fabric picks align with some of her favorite colors, because the name of the collection matches her first name. We shall see. Even if I have to select other colors, I already had a layer cake of this line and needed yardage for borders and backings, so I can always use that for another quilt. 

Bruce and I took a huge load of Stuff to the thrift store (in the rain, but hey - there were no lines to unload!). We got the arborist scheduled for our annual yard/tree pruning. And several pieces of furniture we need to unload have been claimed and taken. The Downsizing continues!!

Now, that’s all of the usual stuff; the rest relates to my weight loss and Weight Watchers, so if you’re uninterested in that, you are excused with thanks for visiting!! xo

*****************

It was 1975 (when I was 21 years old) that I joined Weight Watchers with my mom. I had all of 12 whole pounds to lose - and I did, gaining Lifetime Membership pretty easily. I kept it off, mostly. There were the natural ups and downs weight-wise of having three children, LOL. But I lost my lifetime status sometime in the ’90’s from eating too much and not exercising enough; working too hard in an office, feeding teenagers and making sure I got my share of the goodies. The idea of Not Being Invincible or Not Living Forever finally dawned on me around the turn of the century, in my mid-forties. A new prescription or health glitch here and a few pounds there and there..... you know how it goes. All that to say, my mid-life crisis was realizing I had to take care of my health. But diet and exercise/activity were on again, off again priorities.

Fast Forward to last year. After a bout of sciatica, I decided to finally get serious with my weight. I hated the idea of tracking what I ate, but it’s so easy now that there’s a phone app to handle it and lots of “free” - zero-point foods with low abuse potential like turkey, chicken, vegetables, fruits, all seafood, and beans.  I only have to track things like breads, dairy and fats that aren’t on the free list. What really changed my outlook about tracking was when our workshop leader Kris asked if we had a family budget to track our finances - money in and expenses out. Well, duh, of course! And then she asked us if our health was at least that important?? Bam! I was sold on tracking.

I’ve now recaptured my Lifetime Membership (free unlimited attendance). And the attendance at weekly workshops is necessary for me personally. It’s like a friend reunion, weight and health coaching workshop and a psychotherapy session with humor - all in one! I love all my WW friends. I still have about a pound to go to reach my original weight loss goal, but the app converted me to Lifetime status at 2 pounds over (because I recaptured it). Anyway, I want to lose another 11.5 pounds to get to a total of -75. That is my goal for this coming winter.  I hope you’ll be here to share in my periodic updates! Thanks for all your sweet support!

Linking to Scrappy Saturday for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

18 comments:

  1. I am a short-term-goal person: get the binding chosen this week, sew two blocks in short sessions etc. Long term goals totally paralyze me...I am trying to stay in the "moment". That being said--I admire your ability to set and reach those long term goals of yours--especially with your weight--just amazing. :))))

    I guess my quilt efforts over the years mostly seem to follow that, too: Chinese coin pieces sewn as they appear, string blocks as the string bag fills up etc etc...
    Lately following patterns has been a new challenge for me--BUT (and mine, pardonnez-moi, is way too big hahaha) I am beautifully "shown" how to put them together on YouTube, which seems to work the best for me. Winged Strings was one and now The Old Italian block follows in that vein. My Grand-mere "showed" me how to do many crafts--and I guess I need that "one-on-one" instruction. It is what I am used to--even in my piano playing--it was one-on-one...phew-- Got carried away here from your thought-provoking questions.....;)))
    ANyhoo---I must say again how much I LOVE your stars piece--just wonderful work on this hugs, Julierose (now I will go take a nap--my brain is numbed out!! :}}} )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It won't surprise you, I suspect, to learn time management and goals are as natural as breathing in my life. Thanks for the tip on the height compensator. My Bernina, that I've owned and used for several decades came with that. Never knew what it was. I have been caught on thick seams. Nevermore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I continue to be amazed by your WW results. Well done! Has your sciatica problem disappeared along with the weight? Hope so. You have done so well with the Christmas Stars quilt, it’s looking great. Your little quilt finish is unusual, I need to go back and read the explanation again to get the hang of it. And another 75 String blocks! You must now see your piles of strings diminishing very fast. Good luck with the sorting and downsizing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes - I am a goal-setter and list-maker! I need that feeling of satisfaction gained by checking something OFF the list. Well done on the WW goal. It's so difficult as we age. I'm holding steady at my 30 pound goal, but have reset that goal recently to lose another 10, as a cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. is there a free ap for keeping track of what you eat every day? Good luck on your weight loss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try My Fitness Pal. There's a free version

      Delete
  6. 400 string blocks - wow - that looks a like a great scrap quilt

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is some serious progress! Good luck with the last few pounds! I love the red Christmas stars quilt, and of course the string blocks, too. The older I get the less goal oriented I am, which is good because all the goals I started the year with are in pieces at my feet. It is what it is. Just trying to stay sane at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love seeing all that you accomplish in a week! Your finished quilt is so fun - great, easy block that makes a neat design. The Christmas Stars look beautiful together! Glad you have done so well with WW - that is a great feeling of accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the components of your first pictured quilt. My fabric seems to be lots of that multi colored variety! That looks like a good block. And your multi string blocks! OMG, they are awesome. I agree, no one will be able to notice the different red tones in the Christmas Star quilt, cause it gorgeous! I didn’t and I was looking! 😀 lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have that height compensator tool and never knew what it was for until a few years ago when I read about it on another blog. I don't think I've ever used it, though. Three cheers for your perseverance on the weight loss journey. It's not easy. A quilting friend has lost of 60 pounds (over several years), but it's a real struggle for her to keep it off. I can't imagine making 400 string blocks, but you will put them to good use.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need lists and love the satisfaction of crossing off the things finally done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Making lists and setting goals keeps things running along. And I look forward to marking something as "done"! Congrats on the first finish. I've been intrigued by that block, might make one sometime. And wow, what a wonderful Christmas star quilt! Good luck on your weight loss journey, it really is part of looking after our health, especially as we get older. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Cathy! Big huge congrats to you on obtaining Lifetime WW membership again. That has to make you feel fabulous. I am 100% certain you can get those last 12# in hand this winter and then set yourself a new goal. I know you're downsizing but are you staying in the same general area? Your Christmas quilt is beautiful! I just love the red background although that is a color I've never used. Your piece is inspiring and encouraging to me to give that red a try! Have a great week. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on achieving your goals -- sewing and avoirdupois! I really do like the Christmas stars.

    ReplyDelete
  15. P.S. I have a plastic thing to use for bulky hems, such as blue jeans. I think it was a freebie with a Nancy's Notions/Oxmoor House promo years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so bad about making a list I'm guilty of making a list of the lutst😄 luv all your projects,I was just looking at the 2&1/2" strip method, 💞 the backing you choose!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!