Saturday, June 17, 2023

Short and Sweet

have no idea how the week passed so quickly, but here we are again at Saturday morning! There’s not even that much to tell you about or show you, but there are a couple small things. Mostly, I spent a lot of time reading, sleeping and/or napping. A little sewing, a little garden work, lots of friend time and some errands. Maybe I’ll feel more ambitious next week, but this week was a good one to give myself permission to just vegetate and think and enjoy this crazy spring with pouring rain, sunny but coolish and breezy days. The garden, like life, changes daily, and it was time to slow down and appreciate it.

The pink and light blue scrappy quilt top is done. I had a baggie of scraps given to me by someone at  Quilts for Kids, and together with some of my other tidbits, this scrappy top was born. It was, as always, a trial and error process. The ombre pink strip in the center felt too much like a black hole, so I appliquéd three little diamonds on it to break it up and give the quilt some life. What do you think? I rather like it, but it needs a good pressing. 


I’ll get it basted and quilted in the next week, hopefully. I also sewed 30 light blue string blocks, below. Light blue is the color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. These will go to Quilts for Kids as two sets of 15 blocks to be put into quilt kits where they will play with other fabrics. 


A highlight of the week for me was Game Night at my friend Ruby’s house on Tuesday. Our friend Lory took the picture, so she isn’t in it. The rest of us are in the same Weight Watchers workshop and have been friends for varying amounts of time, from 2-7 years.


L-R: Ellie, Ruby, Annette, me (Cathy) and Lisa. 

Today, Saturday, Ruby and Cousin Kim and I are going up to Park City to shop at the weekly Amazon clothing near-giveaway. Pieces of new clothing (tags on, etc) are sold for $2 each from overstock/unsold inventory. Ruby has given both Kim and me some cute blouses, sweaters, etc over the past few months. Now we’re making it a Girls Day Out today. I hear it’s a madhouse, but I’ll try to take pictures!

In the meantime, I’ll leave you with some photos of the roses along our backyard wall.




Have a lovely week!

14 comments:

  1. What beautiful roses you have blooming!! They must like fences--for as soon as I planted
    mine by our fence they went crazy growing and blooming!!:)))
    I just really like your pink/light blue piece...so pretty...I have been sort of vegging out too...
    must be in the air hahaha
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun week to me! Your pink and light blue scrappy top is delightful - you've got the perfect shades of light blue to go with that pink. And your roses continue to amaze me - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your blue and pinkish quilt. The appliqued diamonds were the perfect solution. Hope you have a fabulous Girls Day Out. And your roses are glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, your Roses are beautiful! I'm happy when I get 2 or 3 on mine that survived the aphid infestation of spring. I usually get ladybugs at the local gardening store but they were out this year so I had to keep vigilant and squish 'em by hand, sometimes gardening is a violent sport.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Strippy quilt. As always your String block are great. Glad you had a bit of down time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these colors together! Great idea to add the little blue diamonds, they are shining.
    Your roses are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Rose's, they are pretty but take a lot f work, I believe. You can never go wrong with string blocks, can you. Happy shopping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, yes, the roses are the highlight of this week's post. We finally got some rain this week and cooler temperatures. Gott get that mulch before it gets too hot later in the week.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. "It needs a good pressing" is pretty much the story of my life! Your roses are so, so beautiful. The quilt top and blocks are very nice, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my those are fantastic roses! It sounds like your having a very busy week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The diamonds were a great addition. They provide focus. For someone who claims to have slept through the week, you sure managed to do a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds as though you had a pleasantly busy "recharge" week. The Amazon giveaway sounds interesting, especially because I'm currently reading Secondhand: Travels in the New Global Garage Sale by Adam Minter......The turquoisey blue/pink combo is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The new scrapppy quilt is pretty. Nice. Oh, MY ! what beautiful roses. I have had wonderful roses (three houses ago), a lady walking by one day, says "you have such beautiful roses, and yet you never do anything to them" (I was out there every day with my babies). Glad some one appreciated them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How did I manage to let a month get past me and not be commenting on your blog? I do get there, eventually, but sometimes it takes me awhile. Those roses are incredible! Remind me of the ones I saw in bloom in England.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!