Saturday, June 24, 2023

Blue and Pink Donation Quilt

Sometimes I wish I had more time to write blog posts more often (say, twice per week), so I could record all the fun things of the week. But then I’d have to remember to take more photographs! In fact, that’s probably a habit I need to get into, regardless. but there are a few from this week. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a photo of Bruce’s daughter Emily and two of her three kids that were down here visiting from Idaho. Emily’s other son, Deacon, is training as a certified lifeguard (he’s an excellent swimmer), and our son-in-law had to stay back home with Deacon - and also because he himself just got a promotion and the new duties started this week. Bruce and I plan to drive up to Idaho Falls to visit them all sometime in July.

This week I’ve pretty much finished up working with my light blue scraps for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge’s blue June.  First up, six Split Nines blocks.

Next I put together different-sized scraps and orphan blocks to rough out this light blue quilt top. It’s not sewn together yet, but that will happen this weekend. I need to add some size to it, so I’ll use up some light blue strips for borders. 


With those scraps out of the way, it was time to make some crumb blocks. I already have crumb candy blocks in light blue, so I used the bits and scraps crumbs to make ten 6” (finished size) crumb blocks.


The pink and blue quilt top that I showed last week is finished. The size is 44x49”.


I quilted it with just a basic meander. Here’s the back. I was delighted to use all scraps in both the front and back. At this rate, I may be able to justify buying some new fabric … in about 18 years!!!


This past week also included other family visits, fun working in the yard (after the rain and wind abated on Wednesday), and a trip to Park City

My friend Ruby drove (about 35 minutes) because she’s the veteran at this weekly sale. Apparently, Amazon ships dozen of boxes to the Re-Store (Habitat for Humanity) in Park City and they in turn sell the clothing for $2 per piece. Here’s a shot of the parking lot with the clothing-filled boxes. They let you in at 10am and everyone just digs through and fills their bags (and/or boxes). 


There was no pushing and shoving, and everyone was polite and having fun. I ended up spending $12, getting two sweaters (to save for next winter), a knit short-sleeved top (a good layering piece), a royal blue one-shoulder top for summer, a long summer knit nightie in salmon, and a black striped maxi tank dress for summer. All are very stylish and fit me well. Ruby does this almost every weekend! As for me, I’ll probably join her at least once again this summer. 

Ruby

Cathy and Kim

Next week we have two more evenings out - dinner with neighbors and my son Shane’s birthday dinner. Yardwork is on tap today - I’m still working toward getting the flower beds in shape, while Bruce weeds the garden. There’s still rhubarb to harvest, too. Next up will be the blackberries, but the cool spring has them way behind schedule. It’ll probably be another 4 weeks before we can start picking. 

On the sewing side of things, I’ll be working to finish up the light blue scrappy quilt and to get my International Sisters quilt to the finish line. Wish me luck! 

Have a great week!

9 comments:

  1. Another busy and varied week, Cathy. You managed a lot of sewing. Love the Split Nine patches, your blue orphan blocks top, and all the other ways you used blue scraps. The pink and blue quilt has turned out well - combining the two colours has really brought this little quilt to life. Like the idea of the Amazon $2 bins sale. You were very restrained with your purchases but I’m pleased you were happy with what you bought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to live in Idaho Falls years ago - loved it! Have been back there a couple times over the years and always enjoying seeing the park at the falls. Love all the quilts looks like you are busy as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so impressive all the different ways you have found to use up your scraps. Those 18 years until your next fabric purchase will fly by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really loving that split 9-patch one!! Nice work on all of your projects. Hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a fun week! Pretty light blue split nines - that's my job to work on this coming week. I love how your pink and blue quilt turned out, too. It's so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the split 9 patches, and the pink and blue quilt turned out great. We love the Habitat ReStore, but somehow they don't have the Amazon castoffs that you found! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun with the last week of RSC Light BLUE sewing, Cathy!! Are you ready for RED???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a wild time at the habitat store, great work putting those bits together. I have lots of orphan blocks to get to. This year will see them in a quilt! (maybe? ) Stay safe and sew on !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fun trip to the Re-Store. We have one here in town but generally avoid it because it's run by a rather obnoxious woman who makes the shopping (and donating) experience a gauntlet. When we were cleaning out my friend's condo I called to see if they would accept things like dishes and furniture. Dishes...nope....not unless you had a full place setting for 12. Who in the world has complete place settings anymore? Flatly refused furniture of any kind and refused to send their truck to pick up anything else. Needless to say, we donated elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!