Saturday, February 11, 2023

Three Finishes and Studio Tour

This week, three little quilts “got their wings” (were officially finished) - and none of them are pink. Two are little blue quilts from January and one is an RSC finish of blocks from last year. I will be getting to some pink quilt tops and some Community Quilts once I spend this afternoon pin/spray basting them. I’m hoping to get five finished next week, but if I could only get three done this week (did I really just say “only” out loud?) then I’m not going to hold my breath for five finishes next week. Whatever happens, happens. 

Let’s see which little quilts got their wings. 

First up is this cute little Bow Ties quilt. These were some blocks I did for last year’s Rainbow Scrap Challenge. 

It measures 42x48} and was quilted with a simple stipple. The backing is a piece sent to me by Jo Kramer for her Community Quilts donation quilt program,.



As usual, this one will to to Quilts for Kids.

Next up are the two blue quilts pieced in January. This first one, pieced with dark and bright blue strings, reminds me of frosted winter window panes. So I’m calling it Frosted Window Panes.

It finished at 42x48”, was quilted with loops, and used up most of the rest of this blue print for the backing. The remaining bits will be cut up for Zipper blocks. 


The final finished quilt this week was this Creature From The Blue Lagoon quilt, using leftover blocks, chunks and all manner of scraps. The finished quilt is 44.5 x 60.5”. I forgot to take a backing photo. 


Working with my pink strings, I finished sewing 63 string blocks at 6.5”, unfinished size. I safety-pinned them into four groups of 15 blocks for the QFK quilt kit makers. 


The remaining three blocks will hopefully be incorporated into my pink Creature quilt later this month. I’m open for ideas for a pink Creature quilt name (hint, hint). Last time I did a pink Creature quilt, it was The Creature From the Bubblegum Factory, LOL. 

This next photo is a bad one, but it shows that this next elephant quilt is ready for basting. I promise that despite how wonky it looks on the design board, half hanging and half pinned, that it is squared up. I’ve also assembled a backing from scrap chunks, so this will be a finish next week hopefully!!
 

What follows is a mini-tour of my studio. I’ve had three separate requests (from Linda, Kat and Anonymous) to show how I store my fabrics and scraps. First up, here is a photo taken of my one studio wall after the flood and remodel from about 18 months ago. It will give you a “lay of the land”, so to speak. 


Although things have changed since this photo was snapped, it is the window wall that I’ll be talking about and showing pictures of. I’ll start on the left with the two plastic storage drawers, then move to the right and eight cubbies on which the ironing station rests, then finish with the three IKEA bookshelves. Ready?


Scrap storage for (top down): Kona White, White/black and black white scraps, Kona Snow, Zip Block contrast squares), Low Volume, Brown, Black. On top of this unit rests my bolts (yardage) of Kona White, Kona Snow, Kona Black and Kona Red. 

Next up: 


Fused scraps (appliqué leftovers), Zip Block ingredients, gray scraps, Linens and scraps pulled to work with them (someday I’ll get back to these, and the drawer that houses the Orphan blocks and Parts Department. 

Moving to the right under the ironing station are:


Top Two: lighter (L) and darker (R) backing pieces for Quilts for Kids.
Bottom Left: precuts. 
Bottom Right (in polka dot bin) Low Volume print yardage and pieces greater than a fat quarter.

Moving to the right, here are the other four bins


Top Left: paper, phone books and lightweight backings for string blocks
Top Right (polka dot bin) African fabrics
Bottom Left: backings for personal quilts
Bottom Right: flannel and muslin

Next, we’ll tackle the bookcases. 

Bookcase #1 (two pix)

I think I missed the very first shelf . That houses a long-term clothing project I’m working on. 



Top Down: miscellaneous string blocks, 2022 RSC Bear Paws and on top of that plastic container are RSC 2021 Chips Blocks to be assembled.

Next: three current RSC projects in their storage boxes.

Lower shelf: two more current RSC boxes
















* * * * * * * * * * * *
Blogger stopped working at this point; I will recreate the rest of the tour in next week’s weekly post. 

15 comments:

  1. Just lovely finishes--I really like "Frosted windows" a lot;)))
    Your sewing space is so organized--mine--not so much...
    I unfortunately have tested positive for Covid--isolating for 5 days then I can go out masked (what else is new?) So glad to have had all my shots and boosters--this is definitely bad enough as is!! Hoping it doesn't worsen...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your three finishes. The Bow Tie one really appeals because I like the simplicity of the fabrics you chose and the clean lines. And of course String quilts always tug my heart strings and Creatures Quilts intrigue me. The elephant quilt is my all time favourite, the striped border makes it. Loved the tour round your studio and storage arrangements. Makes my sewing room look like a junk shop but has inspired me to press onwards and upwards. Have a happy week Cathy. Lots of sewing and R&R! Hope you feel better soon Julierose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful finishes, Cathy! Love the bow tie, so happy and full of colors, also love the blue string quilt, I always love string quilts. Great use of orphan blocks on the 3rd quilt.
    I enjoy seeing your studio, so organized, looks like a nice place to stay for hours and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your sewing room so organized and it looks like a lot of space. I haven't made a bowtie quilt in some time I think the last one I did the layout was different then yours and had an applique border - you can do so many layouts with those blocks

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blue string quilt turned out gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely finishes, Cathy. I hear Frosted Window Panes calling my name. Lol. LOVE the elephant quilt too. So cute. Well done. Your studio is so well organized I feel just a little jealous. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tour, Cathy! It's always fun to see how other quilters organize their fabric and scraps. Congrats on your THREE finishes and PINK progress, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always have lots of fun quilts to share! I love the backing fabrics that you showed, too. Looks like your sewing area is nicely organized and has good lighting - it's fun to get a peek!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on three finishes, all beauties! Adorable elephant quilt and pretty pink string blocks. Love your sewing area, well organized.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice finishes there, I particularly like the Bow Ties and the darling elephants.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Cathy, for sharing a tour of your studio. You are so organized. I need to keep working my mine and you’ve given me some ideas. I look forward to the rest of the tour next week. 😃

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am always thrilled to peek into your studio. It is a riot of color and joyfulness. Love the bow-ties, the blues are so handsome, they broke my heart and then I saw the elephants and my heart was whole again :-) Have a fun Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Only should never be used when talking about finishing so many quilts in a week. That is amazing! Congratulations on a great spurt of productivity.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of course you know I love the blue string quilt - how can I not, it's blue!
    'Only' three - geez. Whattsa matta wit you?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the tour! Each of us has a method for our madness.:) . . . . Was the blue Creature quilt from your Creature spree a couple of years ago, or a new one?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!