Saturday, October 22, 2022

October Nights

I love October! It’s been a glorious week weather-wise with warm sunny days, clear blue skies and cool, crisp evenings. Today is cooler with a 90% chance of rain this afternoon (YAY!) and snow likely in the mountains. We are ready! The garden is all put to bed and we *could* consider all our yardwork done. We still do have to cover up the patio furnitures and Bruce will close down the sprinkler system and disconnect hoses. If we do get another nice half day in the next week, we’ll do some final clean-up behind the sheds and spread some mulch. 

I honestly can’t remember how this week sped by so quickly. We did make a trip to Costco, got our Covid boosters and flu shots, and as mentioned we worked in the yard. I had a lot of laundry this week and some fall cleaning. And I’ve been working to hire a permanent bi-weekly housekeeper. Can I get a hallelujah?!? Sandwiched in here and there between all that I got some sewing in. 

This week in the studio I focused on getting some light and bright green blocks sewn to round out a lot of my 2022 Rainbow Scrap Challenge block sets. 

Four Framed Four-patches that will finish at 8” …


The bright green patch in the block in the bottom left really bothers me, but I’m not going to change it. When these blocks are mixed in with all their colored friends, it won’t be so noticeable. 

Next I sewed together last week’s Little Bricks blocks (pattern courtesy of Sylvia at Treadlestitches). Here is the 42x48” flimsy (quilt top):


But then I realized I should sew a few more of these blocks in greens to add into a multi-colored version that I’ll continue working on for RSC23. Eight more Little Bricks Blocks. I loooove sewing them! I’ve got some chunks of green fabrics that I’ll fashion into a suitable backing next week. 


The mess of scraps in green, brown and purple have been officially sewn into a top that measures 38.5x46”.  I don’t know why it looks bowed in this picture. It is square. But I do have trouble reaching up so high to get it on the board. I think I’m shrinking! 


Next came the string blocks. I had to set aside my multi-colored string bin to work on the greens instead. I’ll pick up the multis again next week, but will probably only sew 2-3 sets of 15. That means I will not make my goal of 300 multi-colored string blocks by the end of the month, but oh well. Any that I do sew will be appreciated by Quilts for Kids and will help reduce the string pile! So, here are my green string blocks instead, 3 groups of 15 (6” finished).


Finally, the last blocks sewn were these 4” bowtie blocks. They’ll join the other colors and I’ll continue making these next year until I come up with a plan. 


That’s what I have to show for the past week. I’m linking up to Angela’s blog for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge’s Scrappy Saturday

Next week I’ll get back to sewing *some* multi-colored strings. I also have about 6 green elephant blocks to sew, plus the final Bear Paw blocks, crumb tumblers and a placemat to assemble. But my primary goal is to pin baste between 6-8 little quilts in preparation for a “Finishing Frenzy” in November (or sooner if I can get to it).  But first, exercise!!!

Have a great week!



11 comments:

  1. More super blocks and two flimsies. The green, purple and brown one looks really good. I am trying to imagine what your enormous stash of strings look like! A mountain? I know what you mean about shrinking - I’ve lost a couple of inches in height and now can no longer reach up to put our dinner plates in their purpose-built rack. We had to rearrange their storage to a shelf I can reach! Looking forward to seeing what you produce in your November Frenzy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the green. What do you use for a foundation on your string blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha--I KNOW I've shrunk for sure--MD's office measured me and-- Yep--I am now the "amazing shrinking woman"--we should start a group;))
    I am loving all your projects--but those green strings make my heart go "zing" [remember that song?] I am enjoying making my scrappy string pieced Christmas Web blocks. All from stash and I need to pull in more reds--they are the smallest pile for some reason...
    I hope you are enjoying this gorgeous weather--sun-shiney days and cool sleeping weather nights here...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny how we find a block we really love to sew. Those bricks are cute and I suppose they have a variety of layouts. I really like the Framed Four Patches. You are right...they will all be okay when all is said and done.

    I'm going to try and have a quilting marathon/finishing frenzy in November too. We shall see if that really happens. I do have a new roll of batting! Need to check thread though. I've been waiting to quilt more until after my cataract surgeries. It was getting so I could not see where I was stitching anymore!

    Beautiful weather here the last few days. I've been trying to do end of season garden clean up between cataract surgeries so am thankful the weather is nice when I need it to be. I'm not ready for really cold weather and snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always fun to see what you've been up to in your sewing room, Cathy! I love your fun green little bricks top. I think I'll put that block on my list for 2023. Lots of finishing to do here, too - a couple tops are still left from last year! It's good to have your fall yard clean-up done. We have so many huge trees in our yard/neighborhood that the leaf clean-up will go on for awhile. We took two pick-up loads to the recycle center earlier today and then came home and took naps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful collection of greens you have to choose from...all your blocks are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always in awe in what you churn out each week! The little green brick's look perfect in their top. More elephants coming? You know I love those blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The little bricks top is so pretty, Cathy. And yes, I love all your variety of beautiful green scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another inspirational array, Cathy! Those little bricks are very appealing. Your hourglass purple/green combo turned out well. I opted for the forest preserve yesterday though I ought to have been out in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It finally rained here in the GNW! Hallelujah! Everything is greening up from the crunchy yellow and brown sear we had all this summer. Though I'm sure the new complaint will be "It's so gloomy out!" at today's sit-and-sew. I'm ok with the gloom and I love it when it rains!
    It's funny how our different eyes get "Caught" on different things that paisley patch is the one that seemed "Sticky" to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to be rather sorry to see the end of greens because I've really enjoyed all your projects. I especially like the green/purple combination in that top.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!