Saturday, October 29, 2022

Just Another Month End

It’s been a week of cool, rainy weather. Nothing of note happened this week around here. It was just the stuff of everyday life - errands, sewing, housework, phone calls and visits to and from family and friends. One highlight (for me) was that I finalized the details with a new housekeeper who has been cleaning for other extended family members for decades. She will start with us on Monday, and return every other week. That’s perfect timing because on Tuesday night, several of my friends from our Tuesday morning Weight Watchers workshop are coming over for a game night here. It should be a blast, and I may get some pictures if they’re willing.

But you’re probably here for Scrappy Saturday, so let’s talk about what I got done to wrap up Green October. First off, elephants! These four blocks (pattern by Wendy Sheppard) will finish the blocks needed for another elephant quilt. 


So these blocks will be added to these piles, 


which represent other quilt tops in various stages of assembly. In total, there will be three more elephant quilts, a pink and blue patchwork quilt that I never finished last month, and a Community Quilt that needs a backing to be pieced. Once assembled, the tops will be pin basted and added to my stack of 7+ tops to be quilted. All of that will hopefully happen during November, which is shaping up to be my Finishing Frenzy! I’m hoping to turn out at least a dozen finished quilts in November.

But I did finish one quilt this week, so here’s that one. It’s the Little Green Bricks (block pattern from Sylvia at Treadlestitches)


Little Green Bricks finished at 42x48” and will go to Quilts for Kids. The back was mostly this green tree print (I’m refusing to call it a Christmas print, because evergreens exist in all seasons!):


I also sewed up some fun wrapped candy blocks, which will finish at 8”. This is a new Rainbow Scrap Challenge block that I’ll carry over into RSC23:


The centers are 4.5” crumb squares with flip corners, and that will not be enough size to help whittle down the crumb piles, so I’ll probably begin doing 6.5” crumb squares in addition to the candy blocks beginning in January. But for this year, I did use some crumbs to finish off one green placemat.


In November, I’m also going to try to finish up the last miscellaneous mixed-color elephant blocks in order to put together the final two elephant quilt tops before year end. And I hope to tackle my black, brown and gray scrap drawers - the black one won’t even close anymore. I’ve been saving ideas, and look forward to sorting those scraps and putting together some quilt tops. So much to do and never enough time!

I’m in a bit of a hurry this morning - can you tell? - to get going to our last Quilts for Kids scrap workshop of the year. I think I’ll just be taking along my solid scraps and Accuquilt 2” square die and cutter to cut squares for future Zipper quilt kits. Today I’m turning in three finished quilts, 180 multi-colored string blocks for kits, 45 green string blocks for kits, and one completed Zipper Quilt Kit. And I’m going to resist all the sweets they always bring so that I don’t backtrack on my good recent weight loss (which I may or may not discuss at a later date, LOL). But for now, time to pack up the car! Have a great week. 

13 comments:

  1. The candy blocks and elephant blocks are just the cutest. I have a herd of elephant blocks hanging in the closet just waiting for layout inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been searching for some fabric like the background of your fir tree quilt. Do you remember the name of the fabric house, designer, anything to help me find it? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elephants and little bricks, both such nice blocks. I'm looking forward to seeing your elephants stomping around their own quilts sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to miss the elephants once you're all done with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Little Green Bricks quilt is so fun, Cathy! Cool and refreshing! I've been loving all the different elephant blocks you've made - looking forward to seeing the next quilts of them, too. Hope you had a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. By now your are home from you QFK workshop! Hope you had a great time and aren't too tired. I always come home from days like that a little "pooped"! Hurray for some housekeeping help! That's so great! A bit of help with the floors and such would be welcome around here too. Right now I'm searching for snow removal help. No one want so get out of the truck and use a shovel. Our driveway and short sidewalk require shovel work instead of just a plow. Mr. Busy cannot shovel anymore.

    Looking forward to seeing your elephant quilts. They are so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of eye candy in your blog post, Cathy. Love it all, especially those spotty elephants. Can’t wait to see all the elephants parading through your finished quilts. The numbers of String blocks you were intending to hand in to your meeting were impressive! Do you ever see the quilts other members make from your kits? Hope so. Glad you have someone to help in the house. We have a husband and wife team come once a fortnight and it’s wonderful. Have a good week, enjoy your Games Night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh! Polka-dot elephants! The best kind in my book. lol. The ears match their bodies so well. Love it! congrats on the finishing the Little Green Brick quilt. Green quilts are rare so this one has a double value. I see that you've used the backing in the blocks too. Kudos! The candy block is on my list of contenders from RSC 2023. I will also make the center bigger and crumbly (?). Anywho! To finish a dozen quilts in November really baffles me. Good grief, do you sleep sometimes? ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The candy blocks remind me of Jolly Rancher sour apple. (I have become so good at NOT snacking that I will just imagine rather than indulge.) At first I felt mildly guilty about hiring a housecleaner but I soon got over it. We love her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful projects and the candy made me hungry. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. November is going to be super exciting. I'll stay tuned for sure. ~~Kathy S.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a major amorous affliction towards thy pachyderms. I am just trying to say it differently what I have already said so many times before - I love your elephants. They have stomped their way into my heart and have a permanent residence there. Candy blocks so close to Halloween? Absolutely yes. I prefer these to sugary, teeth-rotting stuff any day. Of course you are busy, sewing up a storm, as usual. Hope we can chat soon. Big squishy hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always like the elliefonts, no matter the colour. I used to be in total love with the birds you did a year or so ago but the ellies are edging their way into my heart.
    So glad you've found a lovely lady to clean for you - just think of how much of a workout your sewing machine will get if you don't have to dust!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!