Saturday, September 25, 2021

September Sendoff

Bruce’s brother Marv (one of his three brothers) has been visiting us from Arizona for a couple weeks. As I write this on Saturday morning, he is on his way back home. But we had to have a family gathering before he left so everyone could see him since it’s been 8 years or more. Last night was the party night at our house. It was a lot of work, but boy was it a lot of fun! 

There ended up being 16 of us, with 3 in the under-12 age range. We had pizza (three kinds), tossed  green salad, a fruit salad, cookies and a great lemon zucchini bread. The kids had a blast picking their allotment of pumpkins (limit 3 each), onions (limit one each), and grapes (limit one small brown paper bag each). I had already picked tomatoes to pawn off on any willing takers. We sat out on the patio until past dark (the patio has lights and a fan). What a wonderful, wacky and fun group the family is! Even cleanup was a snap with several of us (women and men) pitching in.  

*******************

In my sewing studio, the carpet people arrived right on schedule Monday morning to trim and re-stretch and lay the carpet. As soon as they were done, I shampooed the carpet, and when it dried it looked as good as new! We began moving in the tables and shelving units on Tuesday and Wednesday. On Wednesday I went to Home Depot and got panels of insulation foam (like styrofoam). I used a staple gun to cover the panels with white flannel. 

The insulation panels I used came in a six-pack of 3/4” boards measuring 14x48” for $10.60.  Odd dimensions, but that is probably some standard building measurement for the space between studs. I had to run to JoAnn’s to get more flannel, but I had it all done by Thursday except where I ran short. 

I’ll have to go get one more insulation board to finish up. Later this morning our contractor and family member Jeff is coming to hang the blinds for us. Tasks like that are a bit problematic for a numbskull (me) and a one-armed man (Bruce). My final bookcase - a Hemnes bookcase from IKEA - will be delivered on Wednesday. The horizontal storage unit I wanted from IKEA isn’t available *anywhere* at present, but there is a similar one in stock at our local Target. I’m picking that up later this afternoon. The 3” bed risers for it will also be arriving on Wednesday. Then all I have to do is find a board to pad and cover for use as an ironing surface on top. With a little luck, I can get it all done this week and finish moving in my fabric. As soon as it’s all complete, I’ll give you a tour! 

*******************

But I do have all my sewing tables set up again, and Cousin Kim and I had fun sewing in the “new” studio last Wednesday for a bit. Here are the blocks I was able to churn out this week for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge’s orange September:


I started off with eight framed four-patches, above. I’d been sewing some regular 4P’s here and there earlier in the year, but this week decided to try them out with dark and light frames around them. Much better, and a great scrap buster! These framed 4P’s will be one of my RSC blocks moving forward into 2022.  And then I tackled my crumbs and got 12 6.5” (unfinished size) blocks.


On Monday, I’m planning a marathon basting session to get at least four quilts basted. My goal is to get that many finished up by the end of September. I feel as though I’m finally emerging from a long “tunnel” of remodeling, garden chores, and family guests/obligations. Not that I would change any of it; it’s just that I’m so ready for a rest and some serious sewing time! Life is good. Have a wonderful week, friends.

22 comments:

  1. Enjoyed seeing your Orange WIPs for RSC--you have had a really busy time of it lately.
    Have a great weekend...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your garden was a huge success! What fun to have so much family nearby! Your summer has been one for the books! Thanks for reminding me that my “funk” is unwarranted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a banner year in your garden! A family get together sounds wonderful. So glad the sewing room is coming back together nicely, too. I like those framed 4 patches - they would be a good block to make lots and lots of. I'm going to try and focus on finishes for the next few months, too - I have the makings for plenty of them, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your nice orange blocks. It is absolutely amazing what you get done! Can't wait to see the new sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the crumb blocks, great use of small scraps, Cathy.
    The Party in the garden sounds like a fun and special time for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alas, our family is so scattered now that I couldn't come up with 16, and we used to do that routinely! Anyhow, yours sounds like it was wondrful, especially the pumpkin /onion part! And I like the framed 4patches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your family party sounded great, great news also that your sewing room is slowly getting back to normal. I'm making some framed four patches too, they are a nice simple block but rather effective, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very busy week for you, glad you managed to squeeze in some sewing. How lovely to have a family party to send off your brother in law in style. Pleased the studio is coming together, what a relief for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh,my! I felt so bad when the studio was flooded and now you are right on track getting it back together :) You get so much done! Love the orange crumb blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hurray for a reassembled sewing room, plus a family party on top of it. And a great design wall too! Have fun basting-- a chore if I ever heard of one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good to have some family gathering during these crazy pandemical times! Glad to see your sewing studio is back in the swing - I'm envious of your fancy design wall! Mine is just a piece of batting pinned to the wall. I'm thinking about the framed 4P blocks myself after watching another Karen Brown video. Thanks for the push!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome ORANGE scrappy blocks, Cathy! Looking forward to the "new" studio reveal. SEW glad things are coming together for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a special time to spend with family - glad it turned out to be a great experience for you all! And your sewing room is coming along nicely. Fun to have orange as your color this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not sure how you found time to sew with all the other goings-on. And how do you sew crumbs so fast. They take me forever, probably because I overthink them and try to find a crumb just the right size to add. Doesn't help that the orange crumbs have very little variety left. I'm glad you were able to have the big family get together. Given what's happened the last 2 years, it's certainly evident how important those connections are.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so happy for you that the light at the end of the tunnel is there!
    I bet it was wonderful to have family over. I wish we could do that here, but most of our family is in California and busy, so can't run up (900 miles) to visit. My sisters keep saying they will come, but one runs their business and just can't take off. I would go, but the 25+ animals to be fed and watered twice daily just puts a damper on travel! (I don't mind)
    Sewing has happened though not as much as I would like. I take care of my grandson while my daughter is out shoeing horses and any sewing room is a danger zone for a 16 month old! Sheesh! Even his play yard is a danger zone the way he goes at things! So I sew when he's napping and if I'm not exhausted when my daughter gets home and I turn over custody.
    I love your framed 4P's. I have lots of scraps and have not used them in a constructive way. How scraps multiply like this floors me, especially when I'm not getting in the sewing on major projects.
    Keep up the good work! You are always an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Cathy! It looks like your studio is nearly complete and coming back together. It has been a long haul but you've made it! {{Hugs}} to both you and Bruce. Happy Sunday. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a wonderful family gathering. Bet it’s good to have your creative space nearly back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great family gathering! Your studio looks better with each post. And I recognize those framed four-patches!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Family Party night clean-up proved the adage: Many hands make light work! Glad the kids got to experience picking fresh veggies from the garden, not just the farm stand. Your sewing room is coming right along. You are so right, company & family are great but there's nothing like sitting & creating in your studio. Have a great week and I'm looking forward to the sewing room tour!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulous design wall that is, Cathy. I am sounding like Yoda but I love a big design wall. In fact, I have thrown batting on walls in a few places to have mini design wall/areas. I wish I was a kid at your party picking veggies :-) Looks like you are back to normal, sewing up a storm in orange. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful that those stresses are nearly done, and life as you once knew it can be as normal as can be at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like wonderful family time - something we all treasure right now. Glad to hear that your studio is coming back together and you'll soon be creating happily in there. Hopefully there won't be any more turmoil for a very long time!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!