Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Laborious Labor Day

It’s been well over a week since I’ve blogged, and while there’s been a lot happening around here, I’m pretty sure it’s only blog-worthy in summary. I’ll catch you up with some pictures and basics. As for me, I’m so glad that fall is beginning to make itself known and felt. It’s my favorite time of year!

******* The Garden ******

It’s keeping me busy. And now that the extreme heat of summer is past, even Bruce’s garden interest is once again revived. That’s good because I need him to annihilate chop down trim the weeds between the garden beds so I can harvest veggies without tripping or otherwise being dragged under by the unruly growth. We have lots of tomatoes and onions that I’ve been processing. For the grandkids and neighbor kids we have Jack-be-little pumpkins and bunches of grapes to pick on the grape arbor. Surprisingly (or maybe not), they all seem to love picking and eating the cherry tomatoes too. 


Our green beans and Armenian cucumbers were plentiful enough for us to eat and still have extras to share. The giant sunflowers bloomed magnificently. When their heads drooped, I cut them off (oh the humanity!) and set them out for the birds. And finally, this year we’ve been able to answer the burning question, “How much is too much spaghetti squash to plant?” The answer is 12 plants. Or maybe eleven, because one of them turned out to be a gourd plant. Gourds are inedible, but great for fall decorating! Don’t ask me how that happened, because we only buy seeds from nurseries. Anyway, we have enough spaghetti squash to last us all winter, plus we’ve been sharing with friends and neighbors and family and …you get the idea. Think zucchini. 

****** The Studio Remodel ******

How’s “studio remodel” for a positive outlook? Sounds better than “basement flood repair and recovery”. Well, it was no big surprise that our homeowners insurance didn’t cover one bit of the damage repair. Rainwater (or even sprinkler water) is like flooding, and unless you specifically have such coverage, fahgetaboutit. Good thing we didn’t wait on them; we got the insurance decision yesterday, the same day that the repairs were completed by our contractor and paid for by us. 

This is what the room looks like for now - a mess as we wait for the carpet guys to come back and re-stretch and trim the carpet. I can then use my new carpet cleaner (not the vacuum pictured) to shampoo the carpet.


The extra water-proofing and insulation ended up bringing the wall in a couple inches. That means I have less floor space in my studio - and it was a tight squeeze in some corners before. We were planning to get shutters for the window, but they mount to a window surround that would take up additional inches on the wall that would prevent a bookcase (for folded fabric) to be placed. So we have wide-slat wood (composite) blinds that will mount inside the window casing instead. We will install those this week.  Finally, I have new white flannel for the design board which has gotten filthy between years of use and all the construction mayhem.

Anyway, the smaller floor space means that one of my IKEA Billy bookcases won’t fit in its previous space, to the left of the window. And I hate that old oak bookcase I have, but desperately need the storage. So the plan is that once everything (window coverings, carpet) is installed and cleaned, we’ll move back what we can and then begin the process of assessing which storage pieces that I need and that will fit. But at least while that’s going on, I’ll be able to get back to basting and quilting again!

****** Sewing ******

I’ll show all my September orange Rainbow Scrap Challenge sewing on Saturday when I link up to Scrappy Saturday. But in the meantime, I’ve been sewing string blocks. I gave up counting somewhere near 100. Plus I already had that many on hand. I need to do a full count, but this is what they look like for now, sorted out by color on top of my treadle machine that is tucked safely out of harm’s way for now.


****** Family and Cats ******

Tomorrow we take Alfie and Darla to the vet for their annual physical and booster shots. Our fingers are crossed that they don’t need any dental work. 

My daughter Megan, who lives in Seattle, has gone back to school (nursing), so is just working part-time in a bank. They mask up and are separated from the public by a plexiglass screen. She is fully vaccinated, yet recently contracted Covid. It’s a mild(ish) case and she is already feeling better. She is out for two weeks or until she tests negative. And they’re still paying her, so she feels very fortunate. 

Bruce’s brother Marv is driving up from Arizona. He’ll be staying with us for a week while he visits friends and attends his 60th high school reunion. If his schedule allows, we’ll be having a family gathering  so everyone can spend some time together. 

So that pretty much catches us up. I’ll be back here on Saturday!

12 comments:

  1. Glad to see the "renovations" moving along and not surprised insurance didn't cover it. When you read the fine print, not much is covered except fire. We just returned from 4 days in Seattle last night. We were impressed at how most everyone there has accepted masks as a way of life. That trip convinced me I need softer ear loops on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the catch-up post, Cathy! Sorry you've had a setback in the studio. I feel your pain, as I just discovered that some of my storage pieces won't work in my new quilt studio. Hoping your space comes together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Progress on the restoration front, even though it involved lost storage space. Maybe looking at it with fresh eyes will lead to a better result. Yes, the cooler autumnal weather is welcome. I've been able to get back to sewing, although it's mostly disorganized sewing of charity block donations. I do need to get back to the Minecraft quilt. The blocks are sewn but need to be sashed. Sorry your daughter contracted a breakthrough case of Covid. She's a brave lady to pursue a nursing career at this moment in time.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. A positive attitude can do a lot of good, particularly in your situation! We had an old barn roof collapse this winter and our insurance not only would not cover its removal (the structure was specifically listed on our policy), but went the extra step to cancel our insurance because we had an unsafe structure on the property! Of course, the first warning letter "got lost" and, due to covid, the removal took longer than anticipated (when the crew you've hired not only get it, but end up in the hospital, you just pray for them and wait), so we were out shopping for new companies on the fly! Thankfully that went well and all is good now, but I'm sure you have wondered, much like we did, what is insurance for?! Oh well, I chose to focus on the fact that we had savings to cover the (ever-increasing) cost of removal and move on. Just keep sewing! (Even if that is temporarily in another room!) I hear you on the space limitations), though. My sewing room is the third, smallest, bedroom in the house and I'm maxed out for furniture in there. Right now everything works, so I'm happy. Let's hope I don't have any spontaneous remodels! I look forward to seeing how you get everything set up. Maybe you'll find a new configuration that works better?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The room is progressing nicely! I have a bookcase the same style as yours! It's in our spare bedroom, and the other day I was thinking it looked extremely dated. But it's one of those things you don't 'see' after awhile, so it will stay. Your string blocks are numerous and amazing! I need to haul my scraps out and try to stitch some up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to read your update, Cathy! It would be hard to reconfigure and then readjust to a sewing room that you (editorially speaking) had developed/refined/im-perfected over a long time. At least spaghetti squash are good keepers. I've seen so many sunflowers in gardens this year. I must try some next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think you have enough strip blocks!!! LOL!!!
    Great to see the progress on the renovation. It sucks that you have lost space, space is at such a premium. I know you will work it all out to your best advantage. Unfortunately having that space that you did have came at a price and I am sure you don't want to revisit that.
    I'm looking forward to a tour of the newly renovated quilt retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really enjoyed your catch up on all the things going on at your house. All sounds very busy! Looking forward to seeing your sewing area when it is finished. Good job you hadn’t installed your preferred choice of shutters for your window.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome sunflowers! We get volunteer sunflowers from the seed in our bird feeders, but never any that huge. Glad to hear the studio renovations ;-) are winding up - I'm sure you will be happy to have things back together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was very happy for this an update…how rude to go off the grid like that! And your garden is quite impressive. And you still have a massive pile of blocks made. For your next challenge we may take away electricity so we can see treadle work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in awe of your stamina and positivity! Garden harvest, studio remodel and more sewing! I’d just be in a heap on the floor! Won’t it be great to have a new bright design space! I’m sure the storage issues will get resolved! Hope you have an enjoyable visit with family and that your daughter continues to improve!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Could you, maybe, paint the offending bookcase to make it more eye-pleasing? I really would love to have my sewing room re-painted but then I look around at the sheer amount of upheaval that would happen to actually do it and the feeling passes.
    So sorry that your daughter has had covid - hopefully she continues to improve rapidly.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!