Saturday, June 5, 2021

Summer Arrives and Easton Leaves

Summer has arrived with a vengeance here in the Salt Lake Valley. Yesterday, it got up to 99 degrees F (37.2C), with more of the same expected today and over the next few days. We are  currently in a severe drought. But have the Powers That Be banned fireworks in the county this year? Of course not! At least, not yet. Fingers crossed. I’m petrified about the fire danger here in the mountains surrounding the Salt Lake Valley and in the state in general. We all know what can happen when drought, heat, humans, lightening and other incendiaries combine. But I guess I should just go back to worrying about something else like the pandemic  politics my sewing. 

It was just a regular old week in the sewing room. That is, it was once I linked up on Monday to the Hands2Help final Linky Party. You can see my Hands2Help post here. I finished Tic Tac Toe (formerly “Dog’s Breakfast”) and the yellow and green 9-patch donation quilts before month end. 

Angela, our Rainbow Scrap Challenge leader, has called purple for the month of June. I’m linking up with the other “scrapettes” to Scrappy Saturday, where we are showing off our first week’s efforts. I started off with Spring Stars; one in a blue-purple and one in a reddish-purple.


Next was the purple litter of kittens and their Mom-cat. The mama cat will finish at 12” and the kittens (Sally’s pattern) at 6”.  


Here they are with their other “friends”. Six litters down, three to go; one each in aqua, dark blue and orange. I haven’t decided yet on possible sashing, etc.


And then I finished the flimsy for the Double Disappearing Nine-Patch, which was made from those pink and blue nine-patches that I won back in March.


I sewed the backing for this yesterday and pressed everything well. So now it’s hanging and waiting for another flimsy to be finished. I prefer to baste quilts in pairs. The next donation quilt I’m working on is another string quilt - I figure I could do one string quilt per month for the rest of the year and STILL have strings left over. 

The working string project for June is String Stars. There are one full block and one half block of the 12 needed blocks up on the design board. The huge beach tote is full of strings, and the solid background blocks are cut out in front of the tote. (Angie, did you notice the flamingo?)


I’ve also started cutting out my pieces for The Positivity Quilt-Along being hosted by my friend Preeti. I’ll talk more about that next week.


Last night we attended the Farewell Party for our grandson Easton, who graduated from Utah State University in Logan and is leaving this weekend for New Hampshire, where he will begin his officer training in the US Navy’s Nuclear Engineering program. Here are some pictures of the party.


Easton (extreme right) and some of his friends

My son barbecued hamburgers and hot dogs for everyone. Here is Ryan and his wife Kim, the proud parents.



Granddaughter Lauren and her boyfriend Graham

L-R: Marilyn (great-grandma to Easton and Lauren), Paula and Bill (Kim’s parents)

You may remember that Paula and Bill are the extended family members that I made quilts for last fall (Tyrol and Bear Tracks; see 2020 Quilts tab, above). Bill told me that he loves his quilt and that is was the best quilt he’s ever owned! I was so tickled!

Granddaughter London (son Shane’s daughter). 

London just finished fifth grade and is going into sixth. My ex-husband Scott and his wife Callie were there; Scott says London reminds him of me at her age and of our daughter Megan at her age. 

Scott, Callie, Kim

And a final picture of Bruce and me with grandson Easton. There were so many tears as we all said goodbye. But we all know he will do just fine. The Navy will be lucky to have this fine young man!


P.S. Yes, I’m finally showing a picture of myself with the 20 pandemic pounds I gained. I could only bring myself to do this because I’ve started back on WW (formerly Weight Watchers). 

Have a good week, friends. Life is good.

19 comments:

  1. Hard to believe you have a grandson graduating from college, Cathy! Looks like a happy event and lots of proud family members there. Your string stars are fun! Are they foundation pieced?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off - Congrats Easton!! that is awesome - I wish him lost of fair winds and safe seas!! I am so with you on the fireworks and fire danger - last summer was awful - we do not need a repeat! and your Cats! Oh My - THose are absolutely adorable!!! I love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name "scrapettes" and I am going to use that to describe myself from now on! I adore your litters of kittens... such a wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely family gathering, Cathy! Nothing wrong with showing your "Covid 19", as most of us gained them, as well. Nice job on getting some PURPLE sewing done this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the Navy is getting a fine young man. What a great sendoff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mamas cats and kitties blocks look so cool together. And those 2 stars blocks are beautiful.
    You have a beautiful family. So good you can be together and celebrating.
    Have a Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who knew Kitty Litter(s) could look so good!
    It is wonderful to see lots of people celebrating together sans masks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to Easton and his family! I know it takes a village or at least a family to raise good kids these days!
    I too have started back up with WW. I don’t attend meetings. Last time I checked, they had been postponed! But my annual medical visit revealed an elevated HDL.....so I had to do it! I miss my ice cream! 😀
    Your mama and kittens are sure adding up. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful family gathering pictures---the Navy is getting such a wonderful young man...

    I love how your kittens with their Mama Cat are coming along...
    and... S I G H
    Haven't we all just gained during this pandemic? I still haven't gotten back to my careful eating plan...snacks at night are my big downfall...;000
    Hugs, julierose

    ReplyDelete
  10. There must be something horribly wrong with my computer monitor because I’m not seeing kittens with paisley, herringbone and chevron patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pleased that you had such a happy family get together, I think these occasions are so important. Hope Easton enjoys his chosen career. Love the Kitty blocks. Now looking forward to seeing your latest String Quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Mama and kitty families (I hesitate to call them Kitty Litters) are so cute. Someone will love that quilt. Congratulation to Easton on both his graduation and entry into a rewarding career. The son of one of my quilt buddies has been involved in the construction of a new nuclear submarine for quite a few years now. I think it is almost ready to launch. We're only getting to 90 today, but also very dry. Rain all around us, but only a tenth of an inch fell on us.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you on the fireworks thing! How can intelligent people think it is okay to blow off fire into the sky and think all will be okay? Especially these days!
    Congratulations to Easton! He is a remarkable young man. Your family must all be so proud of him.
    It's good to put faces to names. You have such a beautiful extended family!
    I love the picture of you, Bruce and Easton! You have such a beautiful smile!
    I went to the doctor Friday because I haven't been since before the COVID. I gained fifteen pounds! I am ashamed of myself. At my age I should know better! The doctor asked me why I thought I had gained the weight...all I could think of is that I was bored to tears.
    I'm in love with your kitty litters!
    We got a new furry family member here on the farm. He's an extra large donkey called Lumber. There's an official name for his size of donkey, but for the life of me I cannot remember it. Let's just say he is ginormous! I have changed his name to Assquatch. Sasquatch lives nearby, (although I have never seen him) so I thought a nod to him would be appropriate. (tee hee)
    Enough of my gabbiness. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cathy! What a nice celebration for Easton. How wonderful that you can all gather together and just be. Congrats to Easton - the Navy will be very lucky to have such a wonderful young man. You'll get that extra weight off in no time. I gained about 15# and have just said goodbye to the last of it last weekend. {{Hugs}} a bunch. I'm happy that you will be joining in on Preeti's QAL. It will be fun and I look forward to seeing your fabric choices. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your family looks so happy together! Sounds like a wonderful party :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yup, noticed the flamingo right off! That's going to be some serious string piecing...maybe I should join you, I've got tons of strings leftover from my flamingo hexie quilt. Wonderful to see pics of you and your family! Our basic family is so small and spread out - I love seeing big family gatherings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what a great party ! Lots of family and a great accomplishment! It is hard when they leave but they do don't they! Great Kitty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Easton must be so very smart -- Nuclear Engineering sounds way, way, WAY above my head. I think I'll just stick to the math of quilt making! Haha! The pictures show just how supremely proud everyone is of him.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a beautiful family. Love the cat and kitten blocks. Good luck on your WW journey. I too gained 20... well, 20+ pandemic pounds. I went back to the new WW mid May. You can find me on there -- kathy13352 I am on the blue plan. I LOVE the new app. It makes things so easy to track. I'm trying not to abuse the zero point foods. I feel different this time with the new program. I really do think that I could make this lifestyle change and make it work.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!