Friday, June 25, 2021

Purple Has Left the Building

It’s not even the end of the month yet, and I’m totally done with my purple scraps. There are a few strips and bits left to use as “seeds” for accumulating more purple scraps for next year. In the meantime, I have two more quilt finishes to show you and a patriotic Squirrel! project in the form of a table runner.  

But before that, typing the preceding sentence (squirrel!) reminded me of a story from when I was a little girl, about age 4. My parents were both born in the US (New York) of immigrant parents - all from Hungary. While everyone spoke English, if the grandparents didn’t want us grandkids to know what they were saying, they’d speak in Hungarian. My mom and my aunt spoke basic Hungarian. My grandparents also spoke German, so if they didn’t want anyone to know what they were talking about, they spoke German. I loved languages. My little girlfriend Phyllis and I had our own made-up language we spoke (as if we really knew what we were saying....). But I digress... When I played with my dolls, I had them speak in different languages. One day I was playing with my dolls in my room and my mom came in and asked me to repeat something. I said the word “mo-kush”. She told me it was the Hungarian word for squirrel (mokus, with an accent mark over the ‘o’). So, “squirrel" was my first Hungarian word!  

Without further ado, here were the last of the purple scraps that I sewed this week.


14 four-patch blocks from 2.5” squares (above) and 9 crumb blocks, 6.5” unfinished size (below)

That brought my total purple blocks for June to 89. I’m linking up to Scrappy Saturday at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.


Early in the week I basted the two quilts I had finished tops for. These will go to Quilts for Kids, as usual. Once they were quilted and bound, I added them to the ever-growing pile of quilts to be delivered. First is this cute little pink and purple scrappy number that finished at 37x43.5”


The pictures don’t do justice to this sweet little quilt! I had the perfect backing (a 1-yard cut that my friend Angie sent me last year) and to that I added this leftover purple Twin Sisters block and some darker purple strips as they seemed a bit strong for the front.


The fabric is adorable!


Next up was the dark purple donation quilt that I could not bring myself to name (and why bother with a donation quilt after all?). There were sure some great suggestions in the reader comments last week, though! I just hope it doesn’t give any kid nightmares!


This one finished at 38.5x43.5”. The backing (a questionable choice, but I thought the gray was more purplish....) is a piece from Connecting Threads that I bought six yards of - enough for four quilts. So you’ll be seeing it again.


And it was about this time, Wednesday, that The Squirrel Struck!!  I have been separating patriotic scraps from my Quilts for Kids scraps, because they really try to avoid holidays and patriotic in their little quilts. I ended up with lots of strings and a few chunks and 8 navy and white HSTs.  I thought doing a few stars would be nice - and remembered the leftover red HSTs from this project (where I cut a block wrong) one. So from there it was easy to come up with three sawtooth star blocks with string centers.


I did make a mistake and use a non-Kona white in some pieces around the center red star and it bugs me. How did they get into my Kona White Scraps drawer, anyway? But oh well.  Another oops - I meant to alternate the direction of the star stripes, but that got all futzed up too. Leave it to Cathy! Anyway, there was a 2.5” navy strip of star fabric that was just enough for a border if I added cornerstones. So I did. And then it was finished off with the perfect red and white striped binding.


It’s not the best of pictures, but I wanted to take it upstairs and put it on our dining room table. Maybe I’ll get another picture later in situ. Anyway, my favorite part (besides the binding) is the cute fabric I’ve had a couple years to use as a backing. I consider this totally reversible!


I’ll be joining in with the monthly Table Scraps linkup with Joyful Quilter and company. 

I’ve been working on my latest iteration of the Zipper Quilt (so addictive!) - this one to use as a sample for a scrappy workshop this fall for our local Quilts for Kids chapter. The bottom four rows have been sewn, the last two are still pinned on top of one another on the design board. Usually I work bottom to top in order to keep my color order while growing a quilt. It’s easier to let sewn parts hang down below the board.... (does that make sense?)
 

I would love to finish this before the end of the month to give me 39 quilt finishes in the first half of the year. I was shooting for 40, but I won’t make that. 

Finally, I’ll be joining the linkup on Sunday with Bernie and Preeti for the Positivity Quilt Along progress link-up. Here are my first 24 blocks - exactly half of what I need. I wish these looked a little more orderly and more nicely pressed. But I love the gender-neutral blues, purples (not pink!) and turquoise. I’m not sure yet if I’ll be alternating the light-dark backgrounds or creating a dark frame like the picture below.  I have a few weeks and lots more sewing to do before I have to decide.

And with that, I’m off to order another small iron for my workshop. My current little iron died after only 9 months. I’ve tried just about every brand and none has lasted me more than a year and a half. I use my irons every day in my studio, so they need to be sturdy little workhorses. They sure don’t make ‘em like they used to.....

25 comments:

  1. Cathy, what a productive month!! I love all, your blocks, aoll of them, the 2 pretty quilts you made for donation, I'm sure no kid will have nightmares with the pretty purple quilt. Because this color helps to have a peaceful sleep. The patriotic table runner, even with the little problems you pointed out, it is very beautiful.Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your patriotic runner. I've never thought of using a string piece in the center of sawtooth stars. It's so frustrating when a project doesn't end up as great as we think it should! Ha. It is just fine the way it is. And, the red and white striped binding is super. You've got a lot more positivity blocks done than I do. But I have tomorrow and part of Sunday to keep working. I'm trying to decide if I want to put flip and sew triangles in the corners. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super quilts and RSC blocks! I the love the one purple block on the back of the pink and purple donation quilt--it looks like it's tied with a bow--so cute!!
    Your patriotic runner is really neat--I like the look of white and off white in the same piece (ole scrappy moi!!)
    You have had a productive month for sure...nice works hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your children's quilts are lovely. Don't worry about a child having nightmares; he/she should have his/her eyes closed anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved seeing all your purple blocks for the month - just yummy! Loved that "tied with a bow" backing on the QFK quilts; so happy to see my scraps being put to use. Cute tablerunner! The red and white striped binding is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a pretty impressive pile of purple!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must admit I'm sad to see purple leave - it's a favourite. I love that dark purple quilt and it would be one I think will be well loved. Sorry I've been MIA with comments lately - blame my obsession with all things Christmas cross-stitching and small!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many purple blocks -very impressive! I only dream of getting to the bottom of my scrap bins. I guess that means there are too many. Your table runner looks terrific on your table just in time for July 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 89 purple blocks - Wow! Love the 2 strippy quilts, you are so creative with scrap strips and assorted blocks. I’ve never tried to make a quilt like that, perhaps you have pushed me to try. Loved your story of the Hungarian word for squirrel. Did you go on to learn Hungarian and/or German? I always think parents miss a trick when they don’t bring their children up to be bilingual. We have a good friend in NZ whose parents were Dutch but they deliberately made the decision to bring their three children up only able to speak English. Always a sadness for our friend Anna.
    Those Zipper Blocks are looking great. Wish I could whizz over to join your workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking up with the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge, Cathy! Sorry to hear that the squirrels took over this month's entry. They sure know how to quilt a pretty Patriotic runner! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  11. An excellent finish to purple month. It's neat that the creature quilt came out loking like a creature. I've been a dud at getting much of anything done. I was going to jump start my RSC projects because purple is my favorite color, but that didn't happen. And I only got as far as a fabric pull of neutral backgrounds for the Positivity Quilt (which I always knew was probably doomed from the start). But I did finish my Table Scraps runner (just in the nick of time). It's too hot to think right now, but I'm going to 2 houses with AC on Sun and Mon, so maybe I can get back on track.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love seeing what you're able to do with all kinds of different blocks for your QFK donations. Purple month is no exception! The star tablerunner is just great - and that backing is so perfect! Have fun using it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The backing on the one quilt looks like a wrapped up gift...so sweet!
    I'm laying real low this week. Our temps are in the high 80's for the next couple of days. I moved to Washington from California because it is so much cooler here. (One of the reasons at least) Now the summer heat is starting earlier and getting hotter. I AM NOT moving to the north pole for cooler weather!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goodness!!! You have had a productive month!! LOVE all that purple!!
    and the patriotic runner is awesome!
    Too funny - you spoke a language and didn't even know it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My maternal grandparents were from Poland and they spoke English very well. My mother also spoke Polish so when they didn't want us to hear what they were saying, they spoke Polish. This was especially true around Christmas, which was very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All your purples are so lovely. My father and his parents spoke/speak Czech. My husband and I have learned enough Spanish that it is our "talk over the kids" language.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Cathy! Ooh-la-la! You are not above sharing a little squirrel project yourself, are you?!! Those sawtooth stars. How the heck cute are they?!! I adore the sawtooth block, or really any and every star. This happy piece would look fabulous gracing my table. And your Positivity blocks are positivity just fab. Yowza - you have had a productive first half of the year, haven't you?!! Great job all around. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  18. So much purpley goodness! I, too, saw a be-ribboned and bowed backing on your purple girlie quilt! Some little miss will “love it!” If you hadn’t pointed out your “oopsies” on the table runner, most of us wouldn’t have noticed! I like sawtooth stars with unconventional centers. You had a good month it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  19. SO. MUCH. SEWING. Lots of purple. Finished quilts too??? And then you found time to write a post as well??? You are the champion for Quilts for Kids. I love that backing with spots of teal/aqua. That has to be over 10 years old. I don't remember seeing it on CT. It is remarkable that the Mokush squirrel found you just in time for July 4th Holiday. Of course, I LOVE the Positivity blocks. They sing so sweetly. That shade of blue is gorgeous. I am so happy that you joined the QAL.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Too funny that you managed to say squirrel in Hungarian! I really like the turquoise backing with the purple top. It's punchy and fun. And I can't believe you FINISHED your purple scraps?? The universe might just wobble off its axis with that kind of unbalance...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Random thoughts: I am so impressed with how much quilting you get done. You stopped me in my tracks when you said you had used up almost all of your purple scraps. Funny how your first Hungarian word was for squirrel. You were just meant to be a quilter. I just love the backing you made for that one little quilt--it looks just like a ribbon wrapped package with a bow. And the color combination of your positivity quilt is so fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your production output amazes me and your table runner is so fitting for the upcoming special event.
    Happy July 4. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  23. Where to start??? The amount of purple you managed to compete is astounding. So far, I have cut out four blocks with purple and the pieces are sitting there waiting for me. It is the 29th for goodness sake. Next, the kids quilt - I just love it. The simple design and cute fabrics are wonderful. The plus blocks - so great - I think any layout will be fun with those. But mostly I am just in awe of how focused you are, enabling you to create such great projects and so often!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful array of purple stuff and love the table runner and mokus story!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Goodness you have been a busy bee! Love the language story! Your purples look great but I just love that patriotic table runner.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!