Saturday, March 20, 2021

A Finish - Beachcomber !!

Welcome Spring! And to all of you visiting my blog. Oh my goodness, my joints are sure loving the sunshine and warmer weather. I’m still a creaky old broad, but it’s nice to get out and walk and not have everything hurt. Heck, it’s nice to just get out of bed and not have everything hurt! LOL

So, as the title mentions, I finally finished Beachcomber. This is a Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) quilt that I began in March 2019 and finished the blocks and flimsy in October 2020. I basted it earlier this month (finally) and got it quilted this week. I am so happy to have this off my plate.  

I quilted this tighter than I usually do with lots of close, medium-sized loops. I wanted to add a lot of texture since there is so much white area (more than I generally like). I don’t have pictures from after laundering it, but it is yummy and texture-ful. If that’s not a word, it should be.


Beachcomber finished at 55.5 x 66.5”.  It will go into my pile of Quilts to Gift (to family and friends). It’s a rare Not-Donation quilt.  I’d love to start a new RSC crumb project, but will probably wait until calendar 2022 when I won’t have so many scrappy quilts to sew (or will I?) for Quilts for Kids. Regardless, I can now turn my sights to finishing up another RSC quilt or two in the second quarter of the year. I’m thinking that my Twin Sisters blocks are next in line. 

Speaking of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I finished off the last of my green blocks for March. Here are my chips which were started awhile ago but only finished this week. There are 12 each of white and black with green centers. They measure 4.5” each, unfinished.


And then I did all my waffle blocks. Again, I don’t know whether there are twelve 5.5” blocks here or three 10.5” blocks. I’m sewing them into fours like this (not yet trimmed), so I’ll probably count them as three blocks. I do know that there are others sewing these waffle blocks who are planning a different setting (scattered colors) so they are counting each 5.5” block as one. The four-blocks-as-one style will be easier to assemble in the long run, and more mindless, so it’s more my style, hehe. Probably not as pretty as the rainbow settings will be, though. 

And I quilted Dancing Seahorses too. Not well, mind you, but it is quilted. I used a serpentine stitch and lost my bearings “in the ocean”. So the lines are not straight (straight serpentines? you know what I mean). Do I care? NO. (Should I care? Probably, but oh well. If some kid objects to the quilting, I’ll get back to you....)


I will say, however, that I did a da** good job of machine appliquéing the two seahorses down. Don’t want them floating off where they don’t belong. So, this little donation quilt finished at 39x45”.


Like last week’s seahorse quilt, this one is backed with that same yummy fabric given to me by Sally that has the perfect colors in it. (Cathy waves goodbye to it, dabbing her eyes....)


So after those finishes, it was time to dig into more green fabric chunks and scraps. The ballerina fabrics in the little quilt top below were sent to me last fall by Angie. You are seeing every inch of what was there, with the exception of a 2” strip I cut off one of the cream fabrics to even them out.  I had a cute green and pink backing fabric in my stash for the back, so this little gem will be basted and quilted in the coming week. It’s about as simple as it gets, but some little girl will love it, I’m sure.


All that was left at this point (and I say “all” with tongue in cheek, because my green scrap bin was still overflowing) was to use up scraps and bits to make a scrappy green quilt or two. 

I’m calling these my Outer Limits green donation quilt tops. Those of us who are of a certain age *cough* may remember the opening monologue of the sixties’ TV show, The Outer Limits:

 There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission.  We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image; make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to the outer limits.


Outer Limits - Horizontal. Some of my scrappy strips called for a horizontal orientation because of the print or the words. So I grouped those together along with the 4,361 (or so) 2.5” green chevrons (fabric scraps of Riley Blake fabrics donated to Quilts for Kids) I cut out with my Accuquilt cutter. Some were made into seizure-inducing 16-patch blocks, or 4-patch blocks, or left as strips. There are 3 cute animal  strips left over from a jelly roll that I gave Cousin Kim last year - she didn’t use the green. 


Below is Outer Limits - Vertical. This is still a work in progress. The overall length will be 48” as determined by the eight 6” strip blocks. The columns, while sewn together by color, are not yet adjusted (trimmed or added to) for length. 

I’ll get it all finished up during the week for presentation next week (you have been warned!) Cousin Kim is coming over on Sunday for a Basting Fest. We’re going to baste (sandwich) one of her 4-year-old UFO’s - a Christmas quilt top that she sewed together last week. And then we’ll do my Stay at Home Round Robin (SAHRR) quilt, and any green quilt tops (2 or 3) that are ready. My goal is to get my four quilts quilted before month-end, and Kim’s shortly thereafter.


17 comments:

  1. Your Beachcomber quilt is just great, Cathy! I love those rainbow crumb blocks - and should make more of mine. The horizontal and vertical kid quilts are fun, too. You are a master at putting those different bits and pieces together to make them useful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beachcomer came out lovely! What a great Idea for using up scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic RSC finish, Cathy (and SEW much GREEN progress, too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great RSC week’s sewing/quilting! I’m not surprised you are sad that all the Seahorses backing fabric is finished. It’s such a great fabric, could be used for so many different colourways tops. Do you have the details of the fabric? As always I love your creative children’s quilts. All fabulous. 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your Beachcomer quilt, it is lovely Cathy, a great RSC crumb quilt, I have just added this one to my wish to do list. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beachcomber is awesome!! what a great quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're leaping into the new season with all these green projects....but first -- Beachcomber is so sparkly and colorful! Great job. And the little seahorses are charming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Beachcomber turned out great, perfect way to set those scrappy blocks! Love the "Outer Limits" quilts - too much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know...I didn't really care all that much for those Beachcomber blocks when I saw you making them but they sure make a WOW quilt. Surprise, surprise!

    Your Outer Limits quilts are cute too. I had to look up when that series aired. Looks like I was about 11--12 yrs old. I was the oldest of five and we lived with our father who worked into the evenings so we were left home alone. We watched Outer Limits one evening and were scared and called Dad at work. He forbid us to watch it anymore. Oh, sure! Well, we continued to watch it after that and we just all shivered together holding hands while we watched but we didn't call Dad at work after that. Ah, memories! If I was 11 then my siblings were 9,8,7 and 3.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beachcomber is dazzling. Like you, I'm not much for lots of white space, but sometimes, it's just the thing to make a quilt glow. As far as the not straight quilting in the ocean, just say it's organic serpentine (that's what the modern quilters would call it). We have a beautiful, sunny day with a high of 60, so I'm heading outdoors for a little clean up session.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Beachcomber quilt and all your play with scraps. Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your beach comber and waffle blocks! Now I have new Ideas to quilt!! yikes, can I buy some lifetimes!! Stay safe and sew on !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who hoo! I’m so excited to see Beachcomber finished! I’ve just about used up all my crumb blocks! Time to make some more! Dancing Seahorses is so fun! And your outer limits quilts are great! Thanks for the motivation! I’ve been in a slump lately!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on a lovely finish - just perfect for spring. As far as losing control of the serpentine stitches is concerned...the sewing machine is in control :-D I won't try to control it any more than I would recommend controlling the TV :-P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Cathy! Beachcomber is so pretty. I love all the different fabrics you chose, and the layout is fun. The seahorse quilt looks fun, too, and that quilting pattern is just perfect for the sea illusion. I can't wait to see your finished SAHRR project. I just worked on my quilting this weekend - I have to have a finish since I'm a co-host. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love Beachcomber! The way the thin lines move across the design is so, so great. The scattered brights against white: vibrant and wonderful. It's on my Must Do list, which requires that I make crumb blocks. I'm kinda over making them for now, so I'll store this in my disorganized Brain Closet of Good Intentions and just enjoy yours in all it's texturey glory. Textury glorey? Spellcheck hates both options :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are just ZOOMING right along!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!