Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Quick Mid-Week Update: Stay at Home Round Robin

Hello! I’m popping in quickly to show you my progress on the next round of the SAHRR (Stay at Home Round Robin).  This week’s hostess, Anja, called flying geese blocks. So I got right to work and figured I’d join the link-up early this week.

All the colors are intense (which I love), so I figure a little bit of background “breathing room”, which in this case is Kona Snow, would be in order. I will probably begin next week’s round with a small, plain stop border to frame it. Currently, however, it measures 26.5” x 32.5”. So far, I really like it. 

I also sewed 20 blocks for the next 4-Patch Posy quilt I’m doing for Quilts for Kids, but no pictures of that yet. I also did a yellow block for a sampler quilt that I need to finish up. It was started as a Block of the Month quilt at a local quilting shop, but when the pandemic hit last year, I quit the class and the blocks have languished. It’s all done in solids, so I figured that since this month is Yellow February for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I’d add a much-needed yellow block (and then only 2 blocks left).

The problem is that I forgot I was making 12” blocks (duh) and this one was only 10”. So, I had to add a 1” border all around. The other issue is that I was OUT of the yellow tonal fabric for the squares, so had to piece two little bits together to get the final 2.5” square. See if you can spot it.


Naturally, I was looking through my stash (not the scraps, but the larger yardage) and found another piece of the yellow (half yard or more) once the block was done. Isn’t that the way it always goes?

This morning Bruce and I went for a nice walk in the neighborhood and even got to visit with some friends outdoors. It’s a bit breezy, so we’re hoping that means that maybe a snow storm is coming. Gotta check the forecast. We desperately need the moisture.

Stay safe, friends, and see you on Saturday!

11 comments:

  1. Lovely SAHRR, Cathy!! I like your corner choices and the long white strips that rest the eyes...
    We had 13" of snow but then rain came on strong and the snow diminished to about 6" by morning...the winds were really strong though...so far so good-no power outages...
    Hugs, julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm liking the bold colours in your latest creation. Looking forward to seeing what will appear for the next round. Hope you get some moisture, whether it be rain or snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your RR! Using the geese just in the corners is such a great idea. Makes things look fresh and bursting with flavor :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job with Round 3 of the SAHRR and a brilliant start to YELLOW month for the RSC!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the flying geese border you've added, Cathy! I like the look of the geese going in different directions around the center. Your colors for this project really are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way your round robin is progressing. Very bright and colorful. We had about 6" of snow from the storm as we were well west of the most intense snow. Still enough to give me a good workout this morning and my car is still partially surrounded by snowplow piles. But then, I don't really have anywhere to go except the grocery store and that's not urgent. Maybe tomorrow.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your geese in the SAHRR! They are great as corner accents!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your SAHRR, colours bright and cheerful. Your idea of having a lot of white fabric in the latest Flying Geese round works well. So, will your narrow stop border be red or green I wonder? I had to look hard to see which square was pieced in your yellow block, you joined those two bits together very well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cathy! I saved your email about your post and finally had a chance to enjoy it! I didn't realize you were playing along with the SAHRR. I just LOVE your center block - that fabric has such movement. Those piano keys are just the perfect size - I adore how this quilt top is coming together. I'd be glad to send a little snow your way from here. We've had enough now, thank you very much Mother Nature. If only! Can't wait to see Round Four . . . see you on Monday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your SAHRR! I hope to finish my flying geese tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the flying geese in the corners. Your colours are vibrant. Thanks for sewing along with us.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!