Saturday, February 6, 2021

Sunshine on My Scrap Pile

We have finally been getting lots of snow time here in the Salt Lake Valley. The snow itself doesn’t seem to accumulate or stick around long here in the valley, but hopefully it is more copious in the mountains surrounding us. Like I said, it’s snow TIME - days of the white stuff (or rain) coming down, clearing up, clouding up, rinse and repeat. I just wish there was more white (snow) and less gray (clouds, wet streets, moods). 

And so, as usual, I turn to my sewing studio where it’s Yellow February for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. This week I decided to start off with these two Spring Stars. I’m doing two per month (they’ll finish at 12” each) so that I’ll have 20 to assemble into a quilt come the end of the year. 

Uh-oh. I just saw my mistake!! REALLY?!? How could I not see it when I sewed it? When I pressed the block then slapped it up on the design board? When I edited the picture?? Sheesh. It’s an easy fix, though, so I guess that’ll be the first thing on my sewing agenda today. 


Unlike the blocks above, the 20 small little square-in-square blocks below are supposed to go this way and that. Ten are bordered in whites and ten in black. They’re only 4.5” each so far. Many, many more to go over the year.


I also did one other yellow block which I showed on my mid-week post. It isn’t really for an RSC project, but for a Block-of-the-Month quilt that I abandoned last year (due to Covid lockdowns at the local quilt shop). I needed three more blocks, and since I had yellows out, that’s what I made. Oh, on that post you can also see my progress for this week on the Stay At Home Round Robin. 

After that I decided it was time to tackle the first yellow scraps quilt for Quilts for Kids. Among the scraps I was given to play with was a Duck, Duck Goose partial panel with the words and 12 little printed squares. There were six “Duck, Duck” blocks with Orange and blue borders and six “Goose” blocks with yellow and Orange borders. And other scraps. This is what I was able to cobble together.


It would’ve looked better if I could’ve switched the blue Duck print in the center with the yellow used for the wide sides, but the cut of the pieces I had to work with didn’t allow it. There was a lot of small piecing and “making do” with what I had, but that’s the fun and challenge of it! In the end, there’ll be a serviceable quilt that some kid will love, design aesthetics aside.



Duck, Duck Goose is about 38x46. The backing was pieced together with some of the same fabrics (different color way) and it’s all sandwiched together now, waiting for me to quilt it this weekend. 

A few days ago I got a call from Laura, who is my granddaughter London’s other grandma (London’s mom’s mom). We’ve been friends since before London was born (in fact, we planned and hosted the baby shower together all those years ago). Anyway, in our conversation, Laura told me how much everyone loves the kitty quilt I made for London. Apparently Londy brings it to Laura’s house when she sleeps over, and Laura’s six-year-old grandson Xander always cries when London takes it back home with her. So I offered to make Xander a quilt, which then meant I also have to make one for his three-year-old brother Brody. Xander’s HAS to be a kitty quilt, but Brody’s can be anything. I have 2 matching dinosaur panels that will be perfect; I’ll make them both this summer - one for Brody and one for Quilts for Kids. But back to the kitty quilt...

I decided there was no time like the present to start on the first “litter” of kittens.


This arrangement of a Mom-cat (my own pattern) and the kittens (Sally’s pattern) is different than the litters of kittens I made for three quilts for my granddaughters back in 2016, which you can see HERE. Instead of having a mom and 12 kittens per litter (too much work for her AND for me, hehe), these litters will only number five along with the mom.  I can make a nice-sized kid quilt out of nine cat families if I sash each 18” litter and add a nice border. I’ve already got another yellow cat family cut out and ready to sew. I’ll also add a couple blue families, a couple green families, and three other colors (I’m thinking orange, purple and brown or red). These quilts aren’t promised until summer, so I can follow along with the monthly RSC colors.

And finally, I got the next ten blocks cut out for my Wishing Ring quilt. 


Since I was sewing on kitty blocks and doing a lot of cutting, my Sewing Supervisor of the Day was Darla.  She was curious to see how kittens are made. 




18 comments:

  1. Just lovely blocks you are working on. I LOVE the kitties...and the little sq in sq's are so neat with that black...great choices, Cathy. I need to cut my Apostrophy blocks for the Punctuation quilt I am making this year for RSC Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give yourself a break, I didn't find it till you mentioned it and even then it took really looking for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way cats just knows what quilts are for them. They will avoid all other fabrics, except quilting cotton? Love your projects, they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have the best ideas for quilts, Cathy! They're always fun to see! One of those mama kitties will have to be Darla themed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoy reading your blog posts, Cathy. How you work out your quilts and designs intrigue me. Looking forward to the new Kitties quilt. Isn’t it interesting how, as quilters, we set ourselves up for more quilt making? You make a quilt for a friend’s first grandchild, then when subsequent babies come along you feel you have to make one for the latest arrival! So, I’ve made 2 lots of four quilts, one lot of three and SO many for two children! But it’s all lovely. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, there can't be tears over quilts! Glad you're able to rectify that situation. Kitty quilts are pretty cool (as I'm sure Darla will attest). As for the 'mistake' - I didn't see it until you mentioned it and even then it took me a minute or two to find it. Of course now I can't unsee it! I like the little square-in-square blocks and look forward to watching that quilt evolve over the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the reminder to get to work on the sunshine diamonds. And I see the fake AI kittens at Kitten Academy have inspired you to make some fake kittens of your own. And what a great photo of Darla...although I think she is asking “Where’s Alfie.”

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darla probably wants her own cat quilt! Pretty yellow blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the dose of sunshine...and Darla!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SEW sweet of you to make quilts for the "extended family", Cathy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cat families are so cute and will make a fabulous quilt in rainbow colors. I laughed about the oops in your block. I didn't see it until you pointed it out, either. Sad to read of the avalanche in Utah. I know the snow is welcome for many reasons, but sad when it results in disaster. I finished the baby quilt flimsy, so today I will pull out the yellow scraps and try to settle on a block. I also need an idea for this month's yellow Table Scraps.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a cute litter of kittens. They will be so sweet in a collection of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cathy! It's look like you SS, Darla kept you on task. Lots of great yellow blocks but I am especially partial to the stars on the tiny square-in-a-squares. They all look great. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such cute kitties! Xander will be thrilled to have his own kitty quilt, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Of course you had to offer another cat quilt for the little boy how happy he will be with his very own cat quilt. And a dinosaur quilt for his brother, sounds great! Your very own cat supervisor is taking all this work very seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love you kitty families! Sew nice of you to make quilts for the other side of the family too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Making another kitty quilt is just the right thing to do. It's a command performance :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!