Tuesday, May 5, 2020

We Miss You, Paula!

Welcome to the Quilted Legacy Blog Hop, where we are honoring a friend who would have been 79 years old today. Paula Budinger was a prolific quilter and a personal friend to so many of us with whom she crossed paths over the last several years.





I first met Paula on the Rainbow Scrap Challenge linkups about 4 years ago. Over the months, as we wrote back and forth oohing and aaaahing over each other’s blocks and quilts, a friendship formed. We exchanged telephone numbers and tried to talk and gab about our quilts and our families about once every couple months. She became ill last fall and after a hospital stay was released into a rehab hospital. On February 8 of this year, Paula passed. So here we are this week, many of her friends gathering together to remember this remarkable woman. You can see some of her quilts at her blogs. From 2013 to 2018 (approximately), she blogged at Blogger HERE. After that she switched to Wordpress HERE.

Before we get to the quilts, I wanted to let you know that there will be prize drawings for following along on this blog hop! At the end of the post, you’ll see the links to all the participating blogs AND a list of the prizes. All you need to do is enter a comment whenever you visit a participating blog. How many you visit is up to you, but you’ll get one entry for every comment you make. I’ll talk more about this again below.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A quilt that Paula made in March of 2018 is what inspired me to make this quilt (which turned into these quilts) in her honor. Paula belonged to a local quilt guild (she lived in Wisconsin) that supported the Project Linus charity. Making simple kids quilts from bright and lively fabrics was one of her joys. So, I channeled my inner Paula and decided that giraffes, yellow and green colors, and a simple layout would be the way to go.  

Giraffes #1

This is just a simple quilt. The focus fabric was some cute giraffes, and the yellow and golds, green and white of the print dictated the color scheme.  Because of the personal health issues in my immediate family (unrelated to Covid-19, which is also a major stressor), I chose to do very simple piecing - Happy Blocks and variations thereof.  I know Paula would have approved!

The white printed background fabric is also giraffes. It was a smallish piece, and I used it all to frame the alternate blocks. The gold strips were leftovers in my stash, and the giraffe fabric was added as a wider border on the top and bottom to give the quilt some length.  It finished at about 40x50”. It’s partially pinned and partially hanging from my design board, so please excuse the wonkiness.



The quilting was just a simple loop design. I used more of the giraffe fabric on the backing and binding in hopes of using it up!  This will be a donation quilt for Quilts for Kids.


Another closeup. It really is cuter and much more vibrant in person than my camera (aka my iPhone XR) can capture. 


But wait, there’s more! Here is Giraffes #2. The giraffe fabric was still going and going..... so I cut the remaining fabric into 20 more squares and pieced a second quilt because why not?



Now these quilts aren’t exactly Lookers, if you know what I mean. They aren’t meant to be. They’re cute-ish, simple and very soft and cozy. Perfect comfort quilts for some child who loves giraffes. And so that’s why you’ll see all sorts of scrappy strips and bits as I did my best to extend the remaining greens and matching golds and yellows into a workable size.



I made a mistake and tried quilting some fans on this quilt, starting at the bottom. It quickly became obvious that this was a missssssnake of epic proportions. I switched to doing echoing scallops that looked absolutely terrible on the front.  After a hissy fit and crying jag, I pulled up my big girl panties and unpicked all but a couple rows of the scallops. Then I finished with just a basic horizontal serpentine stitch with my walking foot.  I’m only showing you this hideous quilting so we can come back to this post in a few years when I’m a world-renown fan quilter and we can laugh together hysterically (without masks on). 


And finally, the two finished quilts, ready for their labels.


So, that’s my stop on the Blog Hop. But there is a lot more quilty goodness that’s been created to share with you today and for the next couple days. Here’s a list of the quilters participating with links to their blogs.
And now for a list of the great prizes. Thank you to all these ladies for their generous donations. And a double thank-you to Lorna of Sew Fresh Quilts, who allowed us to use her design for the blog hop button. 

Lorna, Sew Fresh Quilts, $50 gift certificate for her pattern shop.
Yvonne Quilting Jetgirl, 2 PDF patterns of choice.
Bernie Needle and Foot, $25 certificate for her shop.
A fat quarter bundle from Figo Fabrics
A set of quilty gift cards from Initial Thought by DMF  Note cards set 1
A pattern of choice from Karen, Sugar Free Quilts
A $30 gift certificate for Doris, Cactus Queen Quilt Co
A PDF pattern of choice from Joanne, www.etsy.com/shop/CanuckQuilterDesigns
$25 gift certificate to Fat Quarter Shop (donated by Janice Holton)

HERE IS HOW THE PRIZE DRAWINGS WILL WORK:  You will get one entry per comment per blog visited. The more you visit and comment, the more entries you will have. The comments will be open until May 15, at which time our Blog Hop hostess, Janice Holton, will tally up the entries and use a Random Number Generator to determine the winners. They will be announced on her blog and on all of ours, too, so be sure to check back. Oh, and make sure that your comment contains a way for us to contact you. If it doesn’t link back to your blog or an email, please be sure to leave it in your comment. 

Good luck! And thanks for stopping by!

* * * * * * * * * *
Finally, a special thank you to Janice Holton for putting together this blog hop. You can visit Janice here:
Etsy Shop:   That's So Janice




62 comments:

  1. Love the giraffes! sarahsgiftnship(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s a lovely quilt Cathy, and just what Paula would have made. Thank you so much for participating in the hop, Janice and I really appreciate your support, and Quilts for Kids will too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She must have been a special person to have so many quilters paying her respect in this project. Enjoying seeing these quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize Paula had passed, was wondering why I hadn't been seeing her posts. Sweet giraffes and sweeter quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these giraffe quilts are perfect for children!! Nice work on them..that is such an adorable fabric...I like that you made the big blocks so the fabric shines out;)))
    Great work for a worthy cause ~ ~ ~ waving under clouds Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your giraffes are adorable! I love both giraffe fabrics but especially the black and white one. Laughing with you on the quilting (and the fame!) because I've been there. ;) Glad to be joining you in this hop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great quilt for a child. Bright and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post radiates love and friendship! Paula would be so pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right, I think Paula would have loved this quilt! Chuckling as I read about your quilting, but also cheering you on because at least you are giving it a go. I have free motion fear, and don't do it, much! So you are encouraging me to give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A cheery quilt, it will make someone happy...I have not tried free motion quilting yet, my next project!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My granddaughter loves giraffes, so this would be perfect fabric for any quilt for her. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure Paula would be honored by the simple sweet quilts made in her honor. They will be loved and cuddled by some child in need.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, that giraffe fabric is just darling! Perfect focal print for these two gender-neutral and very cute quilts. Soft and snuggly! I had no idea that you and Paula were close and spoke regularly on the phone. I hope fond memories of her give you comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun quilt! The green fabric is bright and happy! What a wonderful way to honor a fellow quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Soft and cuddly quilts are the best! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I think you captured Paula’s sense of color and fun prints perfectly for quilts that will be loved by little giraffe lovers. This is a delightful way to honor your memories of your friendship with her and her giving nature. How sweet that your relationship extended beyond digital exchanges to “real life” conversations. That must make this week especially bittersweet for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. double the pleasure and the fun...i love giraffes and these are such cute quilts

    ReplyDelete
  18. What fun prints! I love these very cute quilts!! This is a wonderful way to honor a special lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some little person is going to love your giraffe quilt to snuggle under!
    yoyopattycakes at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is one of the happiest quilts I've seen in a while! How fun. Also, nice to "meet" you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You had me at giraffe! What a cute quilt for some quilty snuggles.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your quilts are really awesome!! So neat! Enjoy your day! 🌞🌻🦋 angielovesgary2 atgmail dotcom

    ReplyDelete
  23. You made the most out of the giraffe fabric! Such happy, sunny quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice way to honor Paula. Your quilts are going to comfort a couple kids. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't know where I've been. I didn't realize Paula had passed away. I remember her RSC posts.

    Cute fabric. Cute quilts. I don't know where you found the time.

    I've hand quilted plenty of fans and just love them but have been too afraid to try FMQ fans. Good for you for giving them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a nice way to honor and celebrate Paula's life and work. Your quilt is lovely and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great quilts. I haven’t tried fans and I applaud you trying with all you’ve had going on!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a sweet quilt. So sorry about Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Definitely channeling your inner Paula with these two adorable quilts. Nice work, Cathy! Paula would be SEW pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love that giraffe fabric! Great quilts, I know two lucky kids will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  31. So cute!!! When the fabric is so cute, it is best to keep the design simple to let the fabric shine. When the giraffes multiply the quilts make themselves :-)
    You did both beautifully. I am sure these will be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I bet you could make Happy Blocks in your sleep. Maybe not the Unitarian fans however. Of course, the children who receive these cheerful quilts won't even notice the quilting, so don't lose any sleep over it. You get an A for trying.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  33. You have had so much going on it is amazing you made even the one quilt but two? As for the quilting frustrations, I get it. I, too, plan to be a world renowned quilter one day so all of the documentation of my less than gorgeous quilting will be much appreciated at that point. The kids won't care, the giraffes are perfect and Paula loves it.
    I hope Bruce is healing well. Hang in there Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  34. That quilt is sure to make some kid smile with that cute giraffe fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Two quilts with all the distractions going on in your life. I knew you were a rock star. Paula would be overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Giraffes are always cheery and fun. Great job! I also quilt lines that I don't like and then feel stuck. Seems we are in good company.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow 2 quilts. The fabric just keeps multiplying. Kids will love these.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Isn't that giraffe fabric cute?! I love how you used that for your inspiration and added other perfect fabrics to complement the giraffes. These quilts are going to be so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love giraffes so this is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Two Giraffes, they are wonderful and the green and yellow perfect for their tall heads. These will be so welcome, and give love where it is so needed.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh, Cathy, your posts almost always bring a smile to my face, if not an audible laugh. Most likely because I can usually relate to whatever it was you just said. Anyway, your 2 quilts are adorable and there will be two children feeling very loved and warm. A very special tribute to Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I remember Paula from the RSC. What a lovely friendship you had. I love that you started a post with her pic. The giraffe quilts are cute. I love the story on the quilting. Can't wait until the day that you are a world famous fan quilter and we can laugh--without our masks for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your quilts will bring a lot of comfort to a child in need of it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I think your giraffes are very cute. And I somehow doubt the recipient will notice. It's nice of you to honor Paula. She sounds like a friend you will miss.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your fan quilting story made me laugh. Way to rescue and persevere with the project:)

    ReplyDelete
  46. What a fun and happy quilt. I also smiled at your fan quilting story and look forward to your progress to world renowned expert in the area. Lovely work that is sure to bring a smile as well as comforting cuddles.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I get frustrated whenever I try any kind of machine quilting other than straight lines so I can understand your quilting story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  48. You had me laughing about your missssnakes on quilting those fans! Oh, I've been where you are and have been so frustrated with trying so hard! Good for you for showing us all what we all do at some point! Every kid loves giraffes (in my opinion), so this quilt will certainly be treasured by some little person!

    ReplyDelete
  49. The quilt is wonderful. No child will complain about scallops or other quilting. They will just love the quilt!! Thanks for making a project in Paula's memory!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thanks for the laugh regarding unpicking the fans. You sound like me - I finally resolved myself that I am a "straight-line quilter" and I'm good with that. Your quilt will be well-loved, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I beg to differ. These quilts ARE lookers, and very creative use of fabrics. I hate ripping out quilted stitching! It wouldn't have mattered if you left the stitching in, because a child who loves giraffes would never have cared about the stitching. These are wonderful quilts and a great honor to Paula's legacy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Cute! Love the little giraffe fabric

    ReplyDelete
  53. You have made a great quilt for a wonderful way to honor Paula. I am taking a break in mask making and making a skinny twin sized quilt for the Youth Detention Center which is our guild's project this year wanting to all color to their sterile spaces. Nancy A: SewingGranda@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  54. Adorable quilt. Who doesn't love giraffes :)
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  55. What a fun blog hop! I just got back from visiting with everyone and it was so heart-warming to read all the amazing tributes so someone who was obviously so well loved throughout the quilting land. Wish I had known her!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hi Cathy! This is a perfect quilt that any kid will love! You and I were definitely on the same wavelength as I also made a square in a square quilt. :) Thank you so much for participating in this memorial blog hop for Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Thanks for your contribution. Blessings on your health

    ReplyDelete
  58. Lovely quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Giraffes happen to be one of my favorite animals. The black and white print you used is too cute. What a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  60. What fun quilts. They remind me of the quilts we loved as kids, made by our grandma. Pretty simple things, just squares, tied with yarn. Loved to scraps, loved until they were threadbare. Kids don't judge, they just love what they love.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!