Saturday, December 22, 2018

Two Selvage Quilts Finished!

Working with selvages was one of my projects for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge in 2018. I pieced 149 blocks at 6.5” (unfinished size, 6” finished). That was enough to do three quilts, but the 3rd quilt will be tabled until January or February. So, I only finished the two I showed as flimsies last week. Today I’m linking up to Angela’s Scrappy Saturday linky party. Come see what everyone is finishing up for the year!

The first finished selvage quilt is my purple, gray, red, orange and brown selvages with a gray linen-look sashing. It finished at 54” x 62”. The sashing was cut at 2”, finishing at 1.5” in the quilt.


The quilting was a simple loop design. The backing was a piece that I got at a local quilt shop last March on a very deep discount (l think I paid $2.95 per yard). It sure was off-grain in a bad way - no wonder it was discounted! Originally it was intended to be a back for another quilt (Linked Squares), but I changed my mind then. It sat unloved until this donation quilt called for it!


The second selvage quilt was the blue and green one.  It was set 7x7, which is unusual for me because I rarely do square quilts. Anyway, it measures 58x58”; the sashings were 2.5” (2” finished).


The quilting was just wavy lines, and I didn’t try to keep them equally spaced. I was more interested in nailing down any selvages that might be thinking about fraying, LOL.


The backing is a wonderful Joel Dewberry print (supplemented by a tiny sliver of another JD print from the same Notting Hill line) that I’ve had in my stash for years. Had to piece the back, but did a pretty good job (sheer luck) of matching it up. Both of these selvage quilts go into the donation pile.


Finishing a selvage quilt was Goal #9 on my 4th Quarter 2018 Finish-Along goal post, which you can see HERE.  So, not only did I finish one, but TWO! YAY! And with this done, that means that I completed 8 out of my 10 listed goals. My hope was to finish 7 of them, so I’m pleased with that, too! You can see the quarter-end linky party HERE.

These two are the final quilts for me for this year, which bring my 2018 total quilts to 26. You can see them in the Gallery above (blue link under blog header). For the last week of the month I’ll be sewing on Bonnie Hunter Good Fortune Mystery Quilt clues, making a pencil zip case for myself and sewing up some pillowcases. Clearing the decks a bit!  And then next Saturday I’ll do my 2018 recap post, including my 2018 RSC quilts and my Favorite Nine quilts of the year.

Somewhere in that agenda for next week is celebrating Christmas with family. We are doing our usual Christmas brunch for some and then Christmas dinner for others. We’ll be on our own for Christmas Eve, which is just fine.

Have a wonderful Christmas, friends. Some of you likely celebrate other Holidays (or maybe don’t celebrate anything), but even so may your week be full of family, fun, good health, love and peace!

11 comments:

  1. Your selvage quilts are great, Cathy! I bet they are a lot of fun to sit and read and look at close up. You've finished an amazing amount of quilts this year, very inspiring! Have a wonderful and quiet Christmas Eve, and enjoy the family on Christmas Day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful selvage quilts--my you have collected so many--could it be that you have
    a GI-NORMOUS STASH heh heh heh???lol

    I am sewing up crumbs right now--full blown craziness, I know;000

    I trekked through the hordes at the grocery this morning where all the cashiers were 8 deep--phew--talk about people in a hurry. I kept on getting passed by whizzing cart wielders...(look out old lady!! yikes)

    I only have wrapping left to do for Christmas Day Eve when we travel to my son's to celebrate with our side of the family...I am entrusted with bringing a cheese platter--easy peasy, huh?
    Hope your Holiday is filled with joy (and perhaps a tiny bit of sewing...ya think?)
    hugs, Julierose
    --

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those both turned out beautifully. Congrats on your finished quilts and surpassing your quarterly goal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilts are great. How did you like working with selvages? Did you have any issues there? I collect selvages but give them away because I've never found that working with them was a good fit for me. Just curious how it went for you. Your quilts are stunning and so simple at that!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those selvages! The back is gorgeous. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congatulations on finishing up so many quilts on your list. The backing fabrics worked out so well. The second one especially. Always nice to put those long term stash members to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to your year-end wrap-up post, although part of me will feel really unproductive seeing what you have accomplished, especially given your summer travel.
    Enjoy your Christmas celebrations. We have family coming Christmas Eve so our Christmas Day will be our quiet one. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to the sewing machine.
    Merry Christmas
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finishes, Cathy! I really like that rainbow backing fabric, too, wonky or not. Have a wonderful Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a selvage-saver myself, but I do enjoy seeing what other folks do with them! Your quilts are fantastic!
    Have the very very merriest of Christmases!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have earned the title "Queen of Selvages"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work! I think the blue is my fave (but then, blue is my fave colour!) Very kind of you to be donating, good on you. Have a great 2019!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!