Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Good Fortune Part 4 and a Finish!

The Part 4 clue for Bonnie Hunter’s Mystery Quilt-along was string pieced rectangles. I was up early to order my copy of her new book String Frenzy, so I printed off the instructions for the clue and had them done before dinner. So.Much.Fun.  I love string piecing!  I substituted gold for orange in her suggested colors, although I did use orange as well. So, they comprise a rather nice, warm range. I’m linking up to the Good Fortune Part 4 Mystery Monday linky party. Come see what everyone else is doing!


Next, I finished sashing the blue and green selvage quilt. Here is a picture of the finished flimsy.


On Saturday and Sunday I quilted both this selvage quilt and the gray/brown/red/purple one. They are all trimmed now and ready for binding, which will happen in the next day or two.

After Sunday, I decided to take a break from selvages and turned to a quilt I had committed to do for Quilts for Kids. Last month I attended a gathering at The Quilters Lodge. The Utah Chapter of QFK is run by Sandy Schut, who happens to be the wife of one of my former bosses when I worked in health insurance. Fred was probably my coolest boss ever. Anyway, when I attended the meeting, Fred and Sandy were off on an anniversary trip, so I haven’t been able to reconnect yet (although Bruce and I have actually run into them a couple times over the last decade in restaurants!).  Oops, I digressed, didn’t I?

Anyway, this is the quilt (from a pre-cut kid that Quilts for Kids provided) that I sewed, quilt, bound, labelled and is now in the wash. It measures 39x45” before washing.


I selected this quilt to complete because of the saturated, bright wonderful colors that remind me of Africa.


And here is the label sewn on to the back.


I’m not sure if I’ll call Sandy to turn in the quilt this week or just wait until after the Christmas rush.

For the rest of the week, I’ll probably finish binding the selvage quilts. And then maybe I can tackle some pillowcases and my colored pencil zip pouch - some small finishes before the year end. I’m also finalizing my 2019 quilting plans and goals, so stay tuned for that. Have a good week, friends!

7 comments:

  1. I am always inspired by your productivity! Best wishes for a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat yellow rectangles--just that pop of orange is nice. Hugs, julieroe

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're coming along nicely with the Mystery quilt! I still need to get started with our Guild's mystery quilt. Now that I'm ready for Christmas, maybe that will happen during the next week or so. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some child will be truly blessed by your cheerful quilt. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the wonderful saturated colour in that quilt - someone will love it I'm sure. I've started following Bonnie Hunter's blog - not that I ever (in a million years!!!!) plan to make one of her quilts, but have to say they're beautiful and definitely inspiring. I like your selvage quilt - but still astounded at the sheer numbers of those you have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The gold is quite nice...I expect it will give your quilt a nice elegant look...assuming the final quilt design isn't clown faces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this Quilt for Kids piece! Bright and happy. The label is really neat! Did you design that?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!