Friday, October 12, 2018

Dancing in September - IN OCTOBER

Hi friends! I hope you’ve had a lovely autumn weekend. For those of you impacted by Hurricane Michael in Florida, the Carolinas and other areas, I hope your experience was mild and that you and your families and belongings are all safe. How can anyone doubt that the climate is changing when these horrific storms occur now on such a regular basis? I hope you’re registered to vote and that you will give serious thought to supporting candidates whose heads are not buried in the sand on this issue. But enough said of that...... we’ve got scrappy business to attend to!

First out of the gate is my second quilt finish of the month. This one is a Rainbow Scrap project that I started a year or two ago. After showing the flimsy (in a post called Dancing in September, named after the Earth, Wind and Fire music I was listening to) and remarking how the piecing of it made me happy while I listed to music and danced in the September sunshine streaming in the studio (couldn’t resist the alliteration), my friend Louise suggested that I name the quilt Dancing in September. Thanks, Louise! Although it’s now October, may I present the finished Dancing in September.


Dancing in September finished at 65x73” and was quilted using a simple stipple. The backing is a great black and white windowpane fabric I got somewhere (Connecting Threads?) and the binding used up the last of a green print I had left over in my stash. I am so in love with this quilt!! It’s a keeper.


This is my OMG - One Monthly Goal - for October. Now that it’s done, I can link up to Patty’s Finish-up Linky Party at Elm Street Quilts.

It’s also Goal #1 on my 2018 Quarter 4 Finish-Along Goal List. YAY!! See the quarterly linky party here.

And last, but definitely not least, I’m linking up to Rainbow Scrap Saturday, because this was a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project. Today at Angela’s blog we’re having some serious October sharing’ O’ the green. Our color this month is medium to dark greens, plus dark neutrals. Sew ‘em if you got ‘em!

My plan this month is to get all my RSC green blocks sewn up as quickly as possible. Since this is the last month of color before we spend the last two months of the year completing our projects, I wanted to get those done and out of the way. I’m anxious to begin sewing all the RSC projects together!

So, here are the last four (of the 31 needed) birds for Birds in the Lattice. I hope to begin assembly of this quilt during this 4th quarter.


Next up were my Squared Away blocks. First, I made one additional green block from the March pattern (the top one in the picture below), then two blocks from the pattern Mari and Angela gave us for this month.


I got so excited about these now being done, that I put them up on the design wall. And sewed them together!  I even used my reject block (left column, middle blue one). It looks like I still have to add the 1” white stop border! This is next up to be basted and will finish at 56x56”.


Moving along with more green blocks, I sewed up my strings and ended up with 18 quarter log cabin blocks at 6.5” unfinished.


That brings my total of quarter logs up to 138. I only needed 120 for my original plan, so it looks as though I will be able to enlarge it! Another project that’s waiting in the wings for later this quarter.

And finally, I used my green crumbs to make eight 6.5” crumb blocks. For the project I have in mind, I will need this blocks in multiples of four. That means I’m good in the dark green department, but will have to review my other colors and add between 1-3 of several colors. That means this project, working title “Crumbcakes”, will carry over into 2019.


So, this coming week my goals are:
1.  Sew the borders on the Squared Away, and baste. Quilt and bind.
2.  Sew the California Poppies flimsy (already started, no picture today) and baste it.
3.  Sew the black and white checkered round to All You Need is Love.
4.  Sew the pink hearts round to All You Need is Love.
5.  Finish the plan for my rainbow scrap selvage blocks and pick a background fabric.
6.  Sew black and gray selvage squares for Item #5 if needed.

That should keep me busy!!

19 comments:

  1. Dancing in September is wonderful! I would dance too if I had just finished this beauty! You are making good progress this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got busy! Dancing in September is as lovely as his story ;) Love your green blocks, and the fussy cutting for the last featured, cute fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dancing in September really is charming. It makes me think of Ring Around the Roses as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dancing in September is a beautiful quilt! Congrats on the finish!
    I love your green birds. I think I say that each time I see your blocks...they are all so pretty. That is going to be a very happy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Autumn is a great time for you to treat us to the happy exuberance of your dancing bowtie quilt. Its such a mood lifter. And your squares flimsy is beautiful--and already sewn together--of course. And I look forward to seeing your completed crumb quilt next month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bowties. Congrats on that finish. I can see why it's a keeper.
    Your crumbs are a lot more fun than mine! Cute. Can't wait to see what you do with them. I love crumb cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bowtie quilt looks wonderful, Cathy! That is next on my list to baste and quilt, and you're inspiring me to do that this week. You've been sewing with lots more pretty green this week, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not just regular dancing - happy dancing is called for! What a great bunch of quilts!
    And your little birdies are making me smile, as usual. Can't wait to see where they go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dancing in September is glorious, it really does shine and move. Love all the other blocks, as always. The log cabins and Crumb blocks really appeal to me and are distinctive made from one colour instead of the normal assortment of colours of these sorts of blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bowtie quilt is absolutely gorgeous! So bright and cheery! Lots of beautiful green blocks coming out of your sewing room too. You certainly have been productive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK - now I know! You never sleep - you don't eat - you don't go to the bathroom - you must have an elastic body like Stretch Armstrong and can reach your sewing machine from everywhere in the house. Phew. I've been trying to figure that one out ever since I've known you. I, too, love Dancing in September but the birdies are definitely my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those bowtie blocks in Dancing in September! I am seriously considering bowtie blocks for next years Scrappy Challenge! I will have to work at beefing up my low volume neutral stash though! Oh no, shop hop!!!!!"giggle"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your newest quilt finish! I can totally see why it's a keeper. I'm in love with it, too!! Nice work on getting SEW much dark GREEN sewing done for the RSC.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dancing in September is a fantastic finish! I will think of your happy quilt and start happy dancing whenever I hear EWAF's song! The green birds are adorable - I'm really looking forward to seeing all the birdies together in their nest!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dancing in September—great name for such a happy quilt. I love rainbow prints with black/white backgrounds. Your other projects with all the green are wonderful, too. I’m always surprised by how many different projects other quilters get out of RSC. The squared away quilt is so pretty. I’m having fun seeing how the blocks are coming together for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay, yay, yay!! I love seeing Dancing in September all finished up! So fun and happy and scrappy and wonderful. And your Squared Away blocks are getting awfully close to being a quilt, too. Congrats on such pretty progress all around :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dancing in September turned out beautifully! Congrats on a getting it all the way to the finish line. Love your birdie blocks too. I'm looking forward to seeing that quilt come together. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your Dancing quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Did you know September was the happiest song ever written. I read that somewhere. EWF is one of my all time favorite bands. I was a able to see them in concert twice in the '70's. I believe your quilt is a great visual for that happy song. You are a very busy quilter. It's fun to see all of your fun projects. Also, yes global warming. From where I live I can see the Alaska/Canada Coastal Range, which has had a layer of snow on top, year round forever, until this year. The mountain tops were bare for the first time ever. I think it's the first time in history these mountain tops have been exposed. It's very sad.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!