Saturday, March 17, 2018

And Even More Sewing O’ The Green!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Spring is coming our way, slowly but surely. We’ve had warm shirtsleeve bike-riding weather this week, as well as snow, rain and wind. Not all on the same day, but even in the same week - well, you know it must be spring. Things are greening up in the yard already. But they’ve been green in my studio all month!

I’m joining in with all the other lassies who are linking up to Rainbow Scrap Saturday over at Angela’s Scrappy Saturday linkup. Why not join us? You may not find a pot o’ gold at the end of our rainbow scraps, but you’ll definitely find some green!  :-)

Here are my Linked Squares blocks. The bottom one was done last year as a test block to see if I’d like it. But I never counted it in my production totals, so it will be counted this month. And just to give you an idea of how old some of these scraps are, you might be able to pick out the carousel horses on hunter green in one of the blocks below. It’s like the nineties threw up all over it, LOL!!


And then we have some green quarter log cabins. These are way too fun and wacky. I’m thinking that a quilt of just QLCs might be a bit wild. Maybe they’ll need to be tamed by an alternate block, like selvages or something.


And the last of my blocks are just the scraps and crumbs blocks. I even threw in some narrow selvages to make these 6.5” blocks. 


Since the selvage blocks (shown last week) and the quarter log cabins and the crumb blocks are all 6.5”, it gives me a lot of design possibilities. Maybe I’ll combine all blocks of one or two colors for a quilt. Or maybe I’ll just do rainbow crumbs. Or rainbow selvages mixed with crumbs. For now, I’ll just keep on sewing the color of the month.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

I got a bike for my birthday, a few days early. Good thing we bought it early so I’d have a chance to ride it at least one afternoon before the aforementioned snow and rain moved in. Unbeknownst to me, while Bruce was cleaning my bike helmet for me and I was testing out the brakes, my brother shot this rather unflattering picture of me. (I’ve given up on ever getting a flattering picture of me at my age ever again).  I’m just concentrating, not scowling. Honest. But I rather like that my gray hair matches my saguaro cactus t-shirt and bike. That’s one out of three. I’ll take it. 


And just to let you know - I’m having a giveaway here on the blog. All the details are on the previous post. Shortcut link HERE.  I’d love for you to join in!

11 comments:

  1. You did a great job combining the different greens in your Linked Squares blocks, Cathy! They're going to make a fun quilt! I also love the quarter log cabins. It will be fun to see what you end up doing with them! Enjoy your new bike, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those linked squares and would love to make a quilt with them. Would you mind if I put them on my Pinterest board?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many nice green projects here and enjoy your new bike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Linked Squares look great, and I'm in love with the quarter log cabin blocks. I've seen quilts with the blocks set all facing the same direction, which calms down the pattern a lot. Can't wait to see what you do with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not surprised to see such productivity coming out of your sewing room. However, I was a bit shocked to see you with gray hair! I always picture you with the blonde hair of your profile picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your green Half Logs. I have made some before but you have inspired me to make more. Thanks for sharing. The link blocks are also pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blocks and you have a lot of them, too! Funny, I always think every pic of me now is not flattering. I've let the blonde grow out of my hair too. My hair is mostly silver, but it doesn't look that way in my lighting at home. But when we go past a mirror in the store, I am shocked at my image. I never think of myself at age 66 because I feel and think much younger in my inner self. You have lost a lot of weight!!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! A new bike! I used to ride a lot, but once we started kayaking, the bikes just collected dust. Maybe some day..... Love seeing a picture of you, and in shirtsleeves,at that! Your greens are coming along nicely. I need to take a pic of the little green quilt I put together before retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your greens are all great - Love the linked blocks !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the QLC blocks too! I have never made one, but they can't be that hard! Right??

    I may have to experiment!
    So brave to want a bike. I am afraid to get back on one! This 70+ old grandma has become timid in my old age!

    ReplyDelete
  11. More pretties this time - and a pretty good looking gal posing on the bike too! There happens to be a bike residing in my sewing room right now - an early purchase for a soon-to-be 4 year old grandson's birthday. He's crazy over Spiderman and when an appropriately themed bike crossed our path, we couldn't resist....even though I have to trip over it for the next three months!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!