Thursday, April 28, 2016

First Finish of the Quarter

I finally finished the Cityscape quilt after spending waaaaaaay too much time quilting.  Not to mention too much time watching Netflix, LOL.  And errands, appointments and having our alarm system upgraded.

This is the first finish of this second quarter of the year, and was #1 on my Finish Along Goals, Quarter 2.

It’s been rainy and gloomy here, so my only finished picture is with the quilt pinned (not very evenly) on my design board.  I will try to get better pictures outdoors when the sun decides to shine again.


I outline quilted most of the buildings.  While the rays of light were done a few weeks ago in white (on the light upper background), the buildings were quilted in black. The quilting on the front and back really just disappears. I don’t intend to wash the quilt at this point as it will be a wall hanging for my son. I did add a hanging sleeve to the back.


The first black border, as I mentioned in a previous post, was quilted in the ditch. Then the outer colored border was just given simple straight line stitching, using my walking foot as a guide (but still not very straight...)


When I do the next one (yes, I have another identical panel), I am going to do the same light ray quilting, but it will morph into a simple quilted grid. But I don’t need to worry about that one until fall; it will be a charity quilt.

Meantime, I found an afternoon to catch up on the Splendid Sampler blocks I’ve chosen to do. There are six, and I believe one may be an alternate block. And two were changed by me (the Measure Twice and the house). We are encouraged to do our own thing. I modify designs I want to and ignore the embroidered and paper pieced blocks.


I have 20 6.5” blocks so far. I’m not sure how long I will continue to do these - I should sit down and do some math. I think eventually I would like to add some plain blocks and sashing to extend these. When we get to the months of green, yellow and pink, I will see what the stash says, although I could probably finish a nice sized quilt with just the fabrics I’ve already pulled for this thing.  :-)


And that’s it for this week’s finishes. Tomorrow I plan to cut into some fabric for my next quilt. If I can get it cut out before the May rainbow color is announced (I am betting on red), then it will be ready to start piecing when my colored blocks are done.....

See you on Saturday with my Orange Scrappy Update.

Cathy maroon

4 comments:

  1. I'm in love with that Cityscape Quilt! The border is perfection.

    the pink blocks turned out great. I especially like the top left corner..just caught my eye.

    Have a great weekend. We will be rained in.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Cityscape quilt is awesome! I have that same panel and have been pondering what to do with it. It's a shame to cut it up, isn't it?

    I'm also quite impressed with the number of simultaneous projects you are undertaking. So many orange blocks, and everything is part of a larger effort!

    I'm really looking forward to seeing how the final quilts look, many months from now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that cityscape panel - the colours are amazing. I like what you did with it and look forward to seeing what you do with the charity version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lovely finish, such a beautiful quilt! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!