Monday, April 26, 2010

Treasures from Weekend Estate Sales

On Saturday, the rain of the past week quit and Bruce and I decided to go out and visit a few estate sales.  The first one we ended up at was fantastic for Bruce because the people were extremely well read and were unloading boxes and bins of books.  I think we got a couple dozen books for Bruce (mostly science fiction), but I scored too.  I got a collapsible clothing rack for $1, which I can take with me to add to my Farmers Market booth to display aprons and children's clothing for sale.

My favorite estate sale was the fourth and last one we visited.   In addition to the lovely pictured items below, I got a wonderful pair of Wiss pinking shears for $2 and lots more bias tape (not pictured).


The three prints of Paris caught my eye because everything French seems to be the rage right now.  The couple whose estate was being sold were well-traveled and there were lots of scenic postcards.  But I had to focus on mainly what I came for - sewing related items, linens, porcelain and things I already collect.  Can't afford to start another new collection, LOL!!


I'd like to make a pin cushion in the teacup... I think.  I'm really loving that set, so may have to deliberate on that....

Isn't that mother-of-pearl swallow to-die-for??  And they were happy to unload all the single earrings on me.... And that brooch.  It probably isn't much older than 30-40 years tops, but it's beautiful.   The picture below isn't very good, but I hope it shows how deeply carved the rose is.


And speaking of beautiful, I have to sneak in some recent pictures of my sweet granddaughter London, who will be 8 months old in another week.  These pictures were taken in the park a couple weeks ago.


Happy London (no teeth yet)


Serious London (with lovely eyes!)


Grammy's attempt at an artsy picture!  :-)   

Off to stitch...  Have a wonderful day!
Cathy maroon

10 comments:

  1. Your grand daoughter is so cute! ^___^ And the things you got are just gorgeous - especially those single earings. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Cathy...Your grandauther is a very beautiful child and getting big.
    You done very well,at your week-end Estate Sales. The pieces of jewelry are very nice and you can do a lot with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Granddaughter London looks like a doll. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really like your treasures. I found some really cute tea cups and things this past weekend also. And of course London is the cutest of all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy how fast they grow. she will be walking before you know it. I had a nephew who never got a tooth until well over a year. Nothing wrong just slow coming in.

    Your finds are great and wrapping them around clothespins is a great idea. Couldn't you find little clear paper bags you could just put things in and seal with your own label. I receive them a lot and see them used but don't know where you buy them.

    Great buys at your estate sales. They probably beat the flea market if you can find a good one. I don't see many down here.

    Hugs

    FredaB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meant to tell you that your new header is beautiful. Did the same girl do it? I would like to find someone to help me.

    Hugs

    FredaB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cathy,

    So glad to hear you'll be coming East next year. It will be so good to see you after so many years! By the way, your granddaughter is adorable.
    Warmest regards,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos of London! She is so photogenic!

    Wonderful estate sale finds too!
    Hugs,
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cathy,
    what beautiful treasures you found.
    The mother-of-pearl swallow is to die for and your grandaughter is so
    cute.Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great weekend and good luck!
    Hugs
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Cathy, you found some treasures! I did a bit of garage sale-ing yesterday and found a few things but nothing to write about!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!