Friday, August 10, 2018

Pets on Quilts 2018

Cats shouting in unison:
Hello everybody, we're the Little Rascals, Alfalfa and Darla! 

Alfie: 
I'm Alfalfa (that’s me in orange) and my sister Darla is in the brown stripes. This is our third time participating in Pets on Quilts at Lily Pad Quilting to show off pets, quilts, and pets on quilts! It’s always fun to party with Snoodles, Padsworth and Dragondrop!


Usually we hang out with our mom during the day in her sewing studio. We have impurrtant responsibilities there, and we take them very seriously. 

Even as a young kitten, I would help my mom measure her quilts.


And that’s me helping her cut some yellow fabric. 


And of course I supervise the things Mom cuts, too....


Darla works hard, too.  Here she is winding bobbins....


Or she supervises the actual sewing and occasional ripping out of stitches.... It’s a tough job, but someone’s got to do it!


Here we are, checking out Mom’s progress in picking colors. Darla sometimes gets a little impatient.


Darla: 
Now this is me, Darla, taking my turn to talk to you. I get to tell you about a little surprise we prepared for you. You see, we want to EARN your vote in this awesome Pets on Quilts show. How are we going to do that, you ask? 

Well, for your viewing pleasure, we have taken the time to re-create some of your (and our) favorite fairy tales and other stories!! And most of them involve a quilt or two or three.... So, here we go....


GOLDILOCKS AND THE THREE BEARS

HAHAHA..... Alfie hates when I call him Goldilocks!


SLEEPING BEAUTY


I do believe my furs are more beautiful than Alfie’s, but he insisted on equal time for the Sleeping Beauty title.



PRINCESS AND THE PEA



PUSS IN BOOTS

Well, here is Alfie, checking out the boots.....


Sheesh, he’s not the sharpest tool in the shed, is he? I TOLD him put the boots on, but I guess I didn’t tell him which end to use.



BEAUTY AND THE BEAST



Naturally, I play Beauty and Alfie is the beast, but I’m sure you already knew that....


RAPUNZEL


Well, here I am up at the top of the tower, just like Rapunzel. But my furs aren’t really long enough, so you’ll just have to pretend, OK??  Really, I tried.


ROBIN HOOD


I know, this one’s a stretch. But we didn’t have a green quilt, Alfie wouldn’t wear a hat or tights, and Mom doesn’t let us play with arrows. So we’ll have to pretend that he’s just taken something from the rich and is hiding it under the quilt to give to the poor (probably himself!)


(Alfie and Darla in unison): BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE!!!!


Alfie:
My mom went to Africa last month and you know what? She met my 14th cousin, 22 times removed. His name is Leo, and he is the KING!!  I guess that means Darla and I are royalty. Well, probably mostly me, since I’m the same color as Leo. Mom said she gave him our very best greetings and that he was very nice. We wanted his pawtograph, but she didn’t get that close to him (I think my mom is part chicken....)  So anyway, I compiled some photographs from our family albums to show you the Striking Resemblance between me and my cousin Leo. Hold onto your furs!!



And with that, I’ll turn you back over to Darla.

Darla:
See what I mean about Alfie being a beast? Oh, gag me with a spoon!


Hey! I look just like that leopard that Mom met in Africa! Maybe we’re related....



Alfie:
Well folks, it’s time to wrap up this fun post for Pets on Quilts. And we’d like to remind you that cats and quilts are meant to be together, whether you are being all cuddly and stuff...


Darla:
.....or just looking beautiful with a polka dot tummy ...



Alfie and Darla, in unison:
...or working hard to help your favorite quilter....  Thanks for dropping by!



This is Cathy here, taking over from the cats, who discovered a wee bowl of catnip that mysteriously appeared upstairs and ran off to imbibe.

One of the purposes of of the Pets on Quilts Show is to highlight Padsworth's Project. Padsworth and the gang like to focus attention on projects to help local animal shelters. You can get more information HERE and follow the links given. Or, you can just do as we do here at Crazy by Design - work with our local pet shelter directly. We love our Best Friends Animal shelter in nearby Sugarhouse, Utah. To date, we have donated 96 kennel quilts and dog beds there. Of those, 69 were in 2016-2017, and 27 have been from September of last year through July of this year. You can click on my Labels (in the right column - they are links) for Best Friends Kennel Quilts, Doggie beds or charity sewing to see some of the pictures.

Thanks for joining us in our Pets on Quilts! Voting will open 10 days from today and I’ll remind you.   :-)

25 comments:

  1. I loved seeing all the photos of your cats, especially the fairy tale ones. It must have taken some time to get the kitties to pose just right. Is the parade just for bloggers or can anyone enter their pet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alfie and Darla--you really are a couple of rascals but kudos for helping your mom out in the sewing room! Love your fairy tales!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all those adorable pictures of Alfie and Darla! Especially the Princess and the Pea, and the ones by the sewing machine. Curious kitties and all that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've all done a lovely post!! My felines aren't nearly that creative or articulate!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, what a purrrfectly wonderful post! Sew much fun to purrruse and enjoy! Love the photos of fairy tales, and the look alikes from mom's trip were pawesome!
    You got me misty-eyed when you told about your work for the Padsworth Project -- so very glad that you are helping your local shelter! Big hugs!
    Snoodles from Lilypadquilting

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fine post. My staff says that the first photo--Alfie and Darla holding paws--is her favorite. I, however, favor the photo of Alfie and Darla sitting side by side on the cutting mat. I would have preferred Alfie to politely curl his tail to match Darla rather than let it trail off in the wind, but at least he isn't trying to pose with his cousin Leo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely post! The fairy tale photos and the lion collage are brilliant! Good luck in the show and in all the good work you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had so much fun visiting with Alfie and Darla! Alas I no longer have a furry studio helper but I make do quite nicely with Ellyron (my studio dragon who oversees all I do). She doesn't purr though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable posting ;))) love the comments! Hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun post! Looks like you have your work cut out for you keeping those fur friends happy! Loved the fairy tales!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh this is a cute post. Love the ancestor comparison too. Those two kitties sure have a friendly competition going on.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful post. I and my hubby both enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alfie and Darla, you guys are a hoot! Great job helping your mom with all those kennel quilts. I'm sure even your cousins are proud! I'm thinking you might get the most votes. Your tales are pretty funny! P.S. You two are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alfalfa and Darla, you tell a good tail. We here at the Three Cats Ranch appurrove. Smitty and Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I know that your Mom shared her safari stories with you two! I hope you aren't too jealous that she ran off to a whole other continent just to look at big kitties :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a couple of cuties! And so well read! I didn't know that cats were into Fairy Tales (or is that Tails?)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a fabulous and fun post. Just love the collage of the small cats and the big cat!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the Little Rascals are amzaing, especially as the youngsters (5 - 8) at our swimming club are callled Little Rascals. Love the quilts. Hugs, Susie & Treacle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such great fairy tales of these too - you're pictures were perfect for each!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great blog post Alfie and Darla (and Cathy). I really enjoyed your re-enactments.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really enjoyed your cute post... very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your post is absolutely delightful, and so are your helpers!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!