Wednesday, April 4, 2018

April Goal for OMG

Once again I’m linking up to Patty at Elm Street Quilts for the monthly OMG - One Monthly Goal - challenge. I’m three for three with my finishes so far this year. But April’s goal is going to prove to be a bit tougher given my history with this project

Anyway, my goal for April is to finish THE TOP (minus any border I may decide to add) of Bruce’s Guitar Quilt. To refresh your memory, this project is a fused appliqué project designed by Robbie Joy Ecklow that I started for my DH last year.


My plan has added a bit to the dimensions to make the quilt bigger. For example, that orange guitar is only a half-guitar in the pattern, but I rounded it out to complete it and add a few inches on that side. The same will happen at the other side. And I am not planning to cut off the bottoms of instruments or the tops of their headstocks. That will add a few inches all around. And then I’ll finish up with some sort of bright border (maybe piano key piecing or just a plain bright-colored border) to bring it up to lap quilt size.

It’s a complicated process with these odd pieces, and my brain struggles (no comments from the peanut gallery please, LOL) to work in reverse with the tracing, fusing, etc. This project has been in Time Out more than not. But I really want to make progress on it, even though I’d rather be sewing something else. Anything else, actually.

If I can get all the piecing traced, fused, placed and assembled by the end of the month, this girl will be a happy camper. Ecstatic. The border can come later, because I will probably have to purchase appropriate fabric for it.

So, to sum it up, my goal is to finish fusing and assembling all the instruments and their parts for the main part of the quilt top.


I’m linking up to Patty’s goal-setting linky party. My fingers are crossed. If I can finish this quilt top by month end (with my hair still intact), it will be a double win!  Why not visit us over at Elm Street Quilts to see what others are up to?!

8 comments:

  1. Living in Music City, I am really excited to see your finished projecy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about having to think inside out and backwards - not something our brains are willing to do easily. Bruce will be thrilled when it's done I'm sure - but, I suspect, not half as happy as you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely guitars--I finally got my guitar central panel cut and the borders ready to be sewn tomorrow if my shoulders permit! I cannot wait to finish this one up...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your goal, I really like this guitar quilt and look forward to seeing how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this looks really great! Such striking colors! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm confident that you'll make your goal and that the brain busting part of this piece is mostly behind you! It sure looks great so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this guitar piece. It doesn't take much to bust MY brain, lol.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!