Saturday, March 24, 2018

Green and Other-Color Quilts

I have a lot of green in my stash. Green fabric in my fabric stash that is. (Too bad I’m not talking about money). But I’m saving a lot of the greens for both a cactus quilt I’ll be making later this year (more about that in a couple months) and for our second green month with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge sewing later this year.

But I had an idea to combine this month’s color green with last month’s color purple and do a quilt. My inspiration was some green and purple Tamara Kate fabric (surprise, surprise!) I’ve had in my stash a couple years.


I just cut simple 5” squares in the primary fabric (the two-tone green with purple flowers) and  used other matching scraps or fat quarters. Isn’t it cute?? It Measures (after washing, drying and shrinking) about 43x53”.


It sewed up so quickly! And it was even super quick to baste out on my tabletops. While I had them cleared off to baste this quilt, I basted up another one that I had pieced last summer (more about that in a minute).


I didn’t have quite enough to do the squares and the entire backing with the feature fabric, so I added a purple stripe down the back.

This will be a charity quilt for Sarah’s Hands2Help charity drive. Two of the charities are local (-ish) to me, and I will probably make and collect several quilts before delivering them at the end of the program.


The second quilt I basted and then finished was made from my pink and pastel vintage sheet scraps last August or so. It has languished as a top since then.  But here it is all finished up and washed.


This quilt measures 40x40” 


And while I’m on a frenzy of quilty finishes, here is a peek at two more Rainbow Scrap quilts that will be done before the end of this month.

Remember my plus sign blocks? They were a Rainbow Scrap Challenge block I worked on all of 2017. But rather than making one huge quilt, as was my original plan, I divided them up into two quilts. Here Alfie is modeling, showing, oh heck.... he’s just goofing off.


Both of these are actually ready to be basted and quilted this weekend.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Note:  If you entered my Quilty Orphan Adoption contest or my blog giveaway last week, the winners were announced in yesterday’s post HERE.


Linking up to:
Rainbow Scrap Challenge at Angela’s So Scrappy

SaveSave

14 comments:

  1. Oh Cathy they are beautiful! Love the purple and green combo, your quilts will add smiles to some faces. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is most charming! The purples and greens are so pretty together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the green and ourple combo, too - that focus fabric was a perfect inspiration! Looking forward to seeing how your plus quilts turned out, too. The layout looks intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilts! I love the first one very much, green and purple is just a winning combo! Cute cat, and great plus quilts too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In some states a "green stash" means something completely different! Love your purple/green quilt. A78mandel at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay...that's the Cathy I know...showing finished quilts while the rest of us show blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great combination, purple and green! Kitty seems to be having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the finishes for H2H already! Both are adorable.

    I'm stalled on donation quilts because I need to Frankenbatt but I'm almost out of Frankenbatt parts so need to get some bigger quilts finished so I can add to the Frankenbatt part box. It's an endless loop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love purple and green together! I'm working on a purple quilt for my best friend and I picked a green for the background. Your other quilts also look great. I especially like the plus signs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! on completing your H2H quilt (and SEW much more!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fabrics in the purple/green quilt work so beautifully together. After reading the comments you can see it was a HUGE success.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - you've been busy finishing up! All the quilts look great, but my favorite is the green and purple!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those greens. It's super cute put together with your purple scraps. The pink vintage sheet quilt looks so soft. Thanks for doing what you do! Hip hip hooray for H2H.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The purple and green caught my eye - never been a huge fan of pink, and purple is one of my favourites. Alfie is a wonderful model - better yet, he works for treats.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!