Saturday, October 5, 2024

Autumn Leaves, Sewing String Blocks, Kitchen Remodel Before & After

It’s going to be a picture-heavy post. It was such a beautiful and busy week and we took lots of photos along the way, so let’s get started. 

This week I was able to sew about 32 string blocks from my brown scrap strips. The top pic is from last week, the bottom one was taken after the 32 blocks were sewn. I think there’s at least another 30 blocks’ worth in there to sew up, what do you think??


Here are the string blocks I finished, shown in piles of five with the foundation papers still on. The two on the right side are singles. 


The It’s a Jungle Out There quilt top is done and I’ve snapped a picture. But I had to hang it sideways on the design board to get it all in the frame. So it looks a little wonky on the right side because that’s really the part that was hanging below the design board before I turned the picture. 

I doubt if I’ll be able to start quilting it this week, but maybe I can get it pin basted. The backing is mostly sewn and ready. But I want to finish off those brown string blocks first and then figure out what other things I want to sew in October in the way of black and gray scraps. I’m linking up to Scrappy Saturday at Angela’s blog. 

***********************

So that’s it for my sewing for this week, folks! So if you’re not interested in the remodel pics or those of our mountain day trip, I won’t be offended if you take your leave at this point. 

BEFORE

Let’s look at some “Before” pictures first. We bought this condo, built in 1980, and moved in at the end of March of this year. It was very clean but very dated, with virtually everything original to the build. These before shots were taken on a whim just to have them, and I did no staging or picking up (obviously) first. And there was much still to unpack. 


Above you can see that the kitchen had a layout with a peninsula. Behind the peninsula (below) it was too small an area for more than one person to comfortably move without bumping into each other. The work area lighting was recessed fluorescents behind a now-yellowed plastic grid. 


The cabinets were dated, but well-made and solid, and were likely pricey in their day. Our remodel contractors all marveled at the quality construction of them. We did save one upper set (above the desk area in the last “before” picture below) and had them mounted in the garage for more storage. 

The corner cabinet above the appliance garage in the photo below (click to enlarge) had a spice cabinet built into the door. The larger knob on the bottom right opened the entire door to the corner storage area behind, but the little knob on the bottom left of the front panel opened to reveal spice racks built into the door itself. I hated to see that go - it was so cute and clever. 


There was no lighting over the sink or the area beyond the peninsula that functioned as the eating area. It was so odd! 


Standing in kitchen vinyl floor area, you look out into the dining or family room or gathering area. The entry hall is the area with the welcome sign on the wall over Bruce’s cool old upright radio. The carpet was a mess by the time the movers had unloaded (even with the runners they used). There was an electrical outlet in the middle of the floor (no longer to code), and this high traffic area carpet always looked dirty. We knew right off that its days were numbered!


Finally, you can see the inoperative trash compactor at the end of the peninsula below, taking up valuable storage space. The pantry, which you can barely see on the right side, we kept as is. It just got a fresh coat of paint with everything else. 



AFTER

Well, this first picture isn’t *quite* “after”, because the painting had yet to be done and the fan over the range hadn’t been installed. But you get the idea. 


In the pic below you can see the fan hood installed and the painting complete. I realized a couple days ago that we never got hardware for the pantry doors to match the cabinets. We will remedy that very soon! And we absolutely love the breakfast area under the microwave. The doors open to reveal a toaster, coffee grinder and all the necessities for breakfast-making. Everything is hidden just by closing the doors. And see how the coffee pot (which does fit in the cabinet but can’t be filled if stored there) is plugged in to the underside of the cabinet? There is an electrical strip behind all the under-counter lighting. 


Between the breakfast bar and around the corner (below), there are nine hidden electrical outlets! The backsplash tile is allowed to just shine. 

The window covering for the kitchen window (that has a deep plant ledge), is a duette roman-style shade.


I wanted some open shelving here for my cookie jars and other pottery, below. I’ve finally found some baskets on Amazon to fill the space under the countertop there to hide the clutter. It’s where I throw mail, coupons and other things. All I have to do now is order them!


Same area, different angle, looking out into the family room area. The room is bright, and the sun sometimes makes the sage wall appear greener than it is. Hopefully some of the other pictures will be more true. As you can see, there is nothing up yet on the accent wall. I’ll probably move our big round clock (currently in living room) there and add smaller framed pictures or art around it. 


One last picture of the island, showing the dishwasher and refrigerator along the outer wall.


We had plantation shutters installed in the other three windows of this area. 


Moving on to the (unfinished) family room/sitting area/ gathering place…..


Why yes, that’s Alfie, our tour guide showing up late, as usual. ;-). 

The standing lamp is just a placeholder until I find a more decorative floor lamp. And I need to add seasonally appropriate cushions and another side table, and, and…. But these things don’t happen overnight. It has potential…

The following three photos are not part of the remodel per se, but the entry did get a new plant shelf and light fixture. It will likely be painted in the same sage green as on the family room accent wall. 

The old radio faces the front door. As you enter, you You go left into the living room or right into the kitchen/dining area. The entry wall and hall got new light fixtures to match the kitchen’s pendant lighting. The entry landing is flagstone which I love, and it matches the fireplace which I don’t love. 


Bruce and I have spent some time scraping lichens off some of the fireplace stones. Lichens aren’t at all harmful, and some would argue they’re lovely and natural. But I wouldn’t be among those!  I’m considering giving the six black stones a color wash to tone them down and more closely blend their color with the other warmer-toned rocks. And when all the year-end seasonal decor is put away, I’ll be searching for a proper mantel clock! 


We are going to replace the (original) fireplace insert with a new one this fall. Which means I’d better get busy figuring that out so our feline overlords won’t miss their winter evenings in front of the fireplace!

So that’s it for the house pictures. As we begin working on other areas of the home next year (master bedroom and both bathrooms), I’ll bring you along. 

******************

There are years in the mountains of Utah that the colors rival that of New England. While this year was not one of those years, the trees were spectacular nevertheless. I’m just going to upload a few without much commentary of our day. I’ll be getting more pictures (of Bruce, Ruby and me) when Ruby’s daughter sends them. If there’s anything worth sharing, I’ll do it. But for now, here’s a sampling of some of the lovely sights we saw as we traveled around the canyons of the Salt Lake Valley and east to Park City. It’s Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid territory! 

Rock face at Timpanogos Cave area, Alpine, UT



Guardsman Pass, Heber Valley



Trailhead at Cascade Springs







Underground springs bubble up to the surface and form the headwaters of Cascade Springs, above. The springs feed into Deer Creek Reservoir and are some of the 82,000 miles of streams and rivers that that provide Utah’s drinking water. 


Coming down Big Cottonwood Canyon, almost ready to drop down into the Salt Lake Valley

Backlit aspen trees. Is there anything more beautiful?


This was our view as we sat in our camping chairs and feasted on sandwiches and fruit. It’s looking down on the Heber Valley.


I think that just about wraps it up from here. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Love the brown string blocks!! I would estimate that 30 is a good guess for what's left....
    I am still basting my new project down--it really is "slow stitching" for sure...but fun.
    Your new kitchen is so much brighter and cheerier now!! Beautiful to work in...I love your little pottery shelf...and such a lovely fireplace with that stonework;))
    We don't have much in the way of tree colors yet--mostly early yellows and with our mammoth dry spell here--leaves may not be as showy--in fact they are falling already...
    sigh--I do so look forward to that brilliant Autumn display...maybe it will happen...
    hugs--enjoy your new space...Julierose

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!