Saturday, August 17, 2024

Where’s the Tiger? And Kitchen Remodel Week of Waiting

Our kitchen remodel continues. We knew from the timeline given to us before the project started that this past week would be the one with little to nothing happening. The quartz countertop templates were made the previous week, and their construction is in process. Next week we’ll have painters here Monday through Thursday, and the countertops installed Friday. But this week they only installed the cabinet hardware and most of the crown molding. 


The new refrigerator will slide in here (above). We’ll meet with a designer next Wednesday to measure three of the four kitchen/dining area windows for shutters. The fourth window, a deep ledge for plants over the kitchen sink is a wait-and-see item for me. Depending how the winter sun behaves through this window when it’s low in the sky, I may eventually put a valance there. But for now, nothing. 

Obviously, the island doesn’t have the countertop yet, but it does have the hardware! These drawers will be handy for pots and pans, Tupperware and other things. It will be nice to have an abundance of storage!


The sink will go into the big hole in the above photo, and the pull-out drawer - adjacent to where the stove will be - houses two lower spice shelves and three containers to house bigger cooking utensils, like spatulas, wooden spoons, and the like. 


The bracing at this end of the island will support the rounded quartz countertop/table. We did go out furniture shopping again this week and bought six swivel counter-height chairs. They, along with a new coffee table for the family room, will be delivered on the 30th. We are well and truly closing in on an end-of-the-month finish!

***********************

I enjoyed spending time this week sewing some orange string blocks in keeping with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge’s color of the month. I sewed 16 blocks at 6 ½” (unfinished size).


Next week I’ll be working on crumb blocks and a scrappy orange coin column. 

*******************

And where did that pesky tiger on this jungle panel go? Hopefully, back to Asia where he belongs. But do you see his outlined ears peeking out? I thought it wouldn’t bother me, but it did. 


So, another little fabric patch will be added there. Here it’s just pinned in place, but it will work well. I used more Dean Russo fabric that I found in my stash that matched perfectly. It probably came from the same fabric line.


It was my friend Wanda who mentioned “ghost block”, which perfectly articulated the patch idea I was mulling over. And with that help, I did actually sew patches in checkerboard fashion, and then added and subtracted a bit here and there. It was a fun exercise in camouflage. 


Other than that, not much else is new. Bruce had a cold this week that I think he passed it to me. Ugh, summer colds. But it’s not serious, of course, although we felt it best to stay away from the swimming pool this week. Summer is waning, and I’m ready. How about you?

11 comments:

  1. Your ghost block is working so well that I doubt most people will even notice it is an addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for banishing the tiger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new kitchen is coming along beautifully, Cathy! If you haven't had utility drawers before, that is my favorite part of our kitchen. So much easier that stacking pots and pans on a shelf! Glad to see that you managed some ORANGE scrap sewing for the RSC and I hope that summer cold goes away soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely ready for some cooler Autumnal weather--unfortunately our extended forecast says warmer than usual Fall this year!! Darn!!;(((
    I love that Jungle print...so vibrant. And your orange string blocks--well, we both know how I love those:))))
    Your kitchen is really coming together; it will be so beautiful and functional to work in...
    Feel better soon...
    Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the kitchen progress, Cathy! I've never seen those pull out cabinets that have a place for utensils to stand up - so helpful! And your ghost block is a neat idea - looks like it was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know it seems like forever to you, but I think the kitchen remodel is making remarkable progress. No major hangups in supplies and all the work seems to be flowing smoothly.
    I doubt anyone would ever know that you disppeared the tiger. What a great idea, although I'm not sure I would have managed as well as you did.
    I've noticed how the light is changing as August progresses. It's still hot here and I'm looking forward to cooler temps so I can get back in the garden as well as the sewing studio. My house is just too hot to do anything but sit in front of a fan and read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The kitchen is coming together! What fun. And the tiger solution is inspired! Awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very clever solution to the tiger! When we did the kitchen one thing that surprised me was how many drawer pulls and cabinet knobs we needed. At first place I went to (a fancy kitchen/bath shop) they were $13. EACH. So I went to a big box store where they came in bags of 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s from Nann on the iPad.

      Delete
  9. The kitchen is coming along nicely! Love the cabinets & that skinny one for the spices & utensils looks super convenient. Love the orange strings & congrats on disappearing the tiger. It's a great solution!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very clever way to banish that tiger back where he belongs. Your kitchen is looking amazing and hopefully the rest of the install and finishing goes as planned and you're able to unpack and get back to using it. You will love those drawers I know. We have a small cupboard/island/thingie that RC built that has drawers and they are definitely well used.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!