Saturday, August 24, 2024

When is a Summer Cold NOT a Summer Cold?

Answer: when it’s Covid-19. Seriously, Bruce and I have Covid. We naturally cancelled our usual Sunday gathering last weekend (that includes Cousin Kim and friend Ruby) because weren’t feeling well and didn’t want to pass on our “colds”. Ruby came by later on Sunday and dropped off (literally dropped off on our doorstep, then ran!) a couple Covid tests. We chuckled - until we used them and found out we were both positive. Oy! We’ve wracked our brains - such as they are  - to try to figure out where we were exposed, to no avail. 

And so began a week of missed friends, family, meetings and appointments. The painters were rescheduled and will come in two weeks to do the kitchen/family room painting after Labor Day instead of before the countertop installation. The countertops in the kitchen renovation were installed on Friday, and I’ll have photos later on in the post. Bruce had to reschedule appointments at the Veteran’s Administration, I missed HOA Board meetings and Weight Watchers, and we had to reschedule our appointment with the window treatment people. But we got in lots of naps, and the kitties loved having Mom and Dad around 24/7. Needy little buggers!

We’re still testing positive as of today, but we’re hopeful that we can begin with a clean bill of health by Monday. I’ll spare you the descriptions of misery and boredom, except to say that we never lost our sense of taste or smell. And while I didn’t even feel like sewing much, I did do some. We also watched a fair bit of TV (the DNC) and I read and played video games. 

*********************

Here is the little bit of sewing that I got done over the course of a Verrrrry.Loooong.Weeeek. I had enough orange scraps to make eight 6.5” scrap blocks and one column (only partially shown) of strips to finish out my orange blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge’s August color.

So, for the last week of the month (what? how did that happen?), I’ll get to focus on my African and batik fabric blocks. I did get six of those sewn this week too. 

I’ve sewn 28 blocks of the 48 total I’ll need to surround the jungle animal print I’ve shown the last couple weeks. Maybe by next week I can start bringing the parts together into a top. On the other hand, the week after is good too, hehe. 

********************

And here are the progress shots of the kitchen with quartz countertops installed. The two installers knew we were sick, but didn’t care as long as we stayed away, which we did. It only took them a little over 2.5 hours to install everything. Here are the pix in no special order (because Blogger does as it da** pleases):


Above: The island. Electrical outlets still to be wired in. I’ll spend the next couple days (depending on my energy level) cleaning out the drawers and making a list of dividers (etc) to pick up at IKEA. It’ll be substantially cheaper that way rather than ordering from the cabinet makers!


The shelves and cabinets will have LED lighting strips added when the finish electrical work is done. 


Above: the cabinet guys will be back on Monday to install the beverage station/microwave cabinets on the wall above the counter here.


Yeah, it still looks pretty rough in here with the staining on the walls left over from where the old Formica backsplash was. Our new tiles will be installed next week! In the meantime, you can see the light veining in the quartz, and the double stainless undermount sink in place. 


A closeup of the island top. 

The seating will go around this end of the island. We’ll fit 4-5 comfortably and could probably squeeze in six if necessary. The six chairs (and refrigerator and stove) all get delivered next week. 

The paint will be white on the ceiling and a creamy white on the walls, except for the accent wall in the family room area, which will be Sherwin Williams Baize Green. To me, green is a neutral.  We’ll see how it all comes together. If I hate it, paint is easy to change! 

So, stay healthy my friends. This variation of Covid is highly contagious. They’re still working on the Fall 2024 vaccine, so hopefully this variant will be covered. 


15 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you both got covid - we did in July and couldn't think where we got it - for you such an inconvenience with the house remodel going on. We read positive for awhile - Mike was for a good 8-9 days and after 2 weeks I was still reading positive but the doctor said that I was no longer contagious but that some people read positive for 3 months but actually aren't. I heard new vaccines by the end if October and we will get them like always

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. Got it myself in July. First time. We figure that we picked it up at a truck stop on the way back from a family wedding. Don’t push yourself. The fatigue can last a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I hate Covid. It sounds like the remodel disruptions weren't too bad, although still a pain. But the countertops look lovely with the cabinets! Yippee! Every little part done is a step in the right direction! And yay for some orange sewing after feeling lousy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you feel better soon. Covid sucks. I spent several days in bed when I had it. I am looking forward to the new booster shot in September, except for the fact that I will be down for the count for two days after getting it. You kitchen is looking great. Almost there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, Covid's going around again. Particularly virulent on cruises. We will be getting a booster along with regular flu vaccine soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no - I'm so sorry you succumbed to the dreaded covid!!! They were reporting on the news here that the so-called 'summer colds' that people think they have are actually covid and to get tested to be sure. You're case in point obviously. Hopefully they will be able to combine the newest flu shot with an updated covid booster again this year. Now I guess the worry is monkey pox - what else.
    Your kitchen is coming together really well. So sorry though that things had to be postponed somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, crap on a cracker! Bummer! Hope every days brings you closer to being “you” again! Rest when you can, sew when you feel like it and take extra care of yourself! As a certain female speaker said this week, “Hope is making a comeback!” 😁🩵🩵🥳

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry that you have "covid interruptus"--not fun at all!! I hope you both feel better soon ...
    it is really hard to figure where you get this one!! Take it easy and rest up...
    Your orange scrappy blocks are looking really great--and i really like the African ones, too.
    Hang in there hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new kitchen is going to be so wonderful - thanks for sharing all the pictures! Hope you continue to feel better and take it easy, doing too much too soon is so tempting!

    Cheers, Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry that Covid got both of you and interrupted the kitchen remodeling. At least the countertops got installed. I was at a week-long conference of the political item collectors group with people from all over the country, and was sure I would finally be infected. After a one day scare, I tested negative and haven't been ill since so I may have dodged the bullet yet again.
    The new vaccine has just been approved and should be shipping right away. I'll be in line for that, the flu shot and I also need to get the RSV vaccine. I do them one at a time, though. I've never had any reaction other than a sore arm occasionally.
    Hope you are both back in the pink (or orange as they case may be) soon.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry that Covid found you. Outstanding orange blocks and I have some of the same fabrics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, No! Yechkk, I hate being sick of any kind and the weird to tired to do/but not tired enough to sleep, thing gets to me, I guess I don't know how to be idle.
    The counter tops look stunning though! I love the seating area too!
    I'm off to clean up the front yard, We had another one of those poplars come down in a drecho type wind storm and there is another tree mess! that's 2 in 2 months! We finally got through to the "Vegetation management" people that that they need to come manage their ditch! When i showed the surveyor you can poke your finger through the bark by just pushing they made an appointment with a tree guy! Yay! That only took 10 years -.-
    At least it's in the works now, good. Because the other 2 fell in the street, no one was hurt thank goodness but I worry the 3rd one, which is 80 feet tall, will fall on us!
    I'm glad you feel better, BTW new covid shots will be available, according to our RX, September 18th, We're getting our booster asap.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Umm, you say you can't figure out where you contacted covid? Um..think what's new, changed recently. Yup. The workers. One or many of them have it. They just aren't talking. Have THEM take the tests.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our next door neighbors have had Covid again -- and Jen is still suffering from long Covid, too. Fortunately Stevens doesn't go out except with me. But me? Every sneeze and post-nasal drip have me worried. I need to restock Covid tests. Walgreens website says they'll have the new vaccine September 5. We'll be there!! ................ Meanwhile: your kitchen is beautiful! I think back (as likely you do) to where you were just a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you feel better soon. Sending hugs and healing wishes.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!