Saturday, April 27, 2024

Rain, Remodeling Bids, New Friends, and Even Some Sewing!

Life is so full, that I’m overflowing! And I’m not even talking about my weight! But since I did say the “W” word, I’ll admit did gain a few pounds during the early part of April. But I’ve lost all but 2 of those pounds since. I’m well below my goal weight, but still about 3-4 pounds over my personal goal of -75 pounds down. I’m hoping the weight gain had something to do with “shape-shifting” - exchanging fat for muscle, because last Sunday my pajama bottoms actually fell down while I was walking around the house! Never trust pajama bottoms when they become low-riders on your hips!

But let’s get on to the sewing part of our program, shall we? Since I had already finished up all my Yellow April Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks, I only have a yellow block recap to show you. 


What I worked on this week was the Anne of Green Gables Quilt for my friend. There are a total of 20 blocks in the pattern, and I had already made five previously. So, of the remaining 15 to sew, I got 12 made. 

Here’s a picture of most of them,. Two of the blocks are barely visible in the upper left corner, draped over a sewing machine.


It will be quick work today to finish up the remaining three blocks before moving on to assembly with sashing and cornerstones. 

As the blog post title today indicates, we’ve been getting remodeling bids for the kitchen. Mostly we’ve just met with the designers at the cabinet companies and had them out to measure and draw up plans. We’re still waiting for the final bid to arrive next week. These bids will include the cabinets and countertops, with tear down and haul-away of the old stuff and the floorplans and elevations and technical specs for the other trades.


We will have to arrange and pay for the electrical, plumbing, tiling (backsplashes), painting and flooring separately, although they will all work together seamlessly (in theory). And the designers from the cabinet companies provide timelines and work with us to help shepherd the other trades (be the General Contactor, so to speak) on the project. But all I see now is the costs go up and up (think of money growing wings and flying away). We’re actually starting with some plumbing things this week - too long and involved and boring to go into here. But I’m sure getting an education! And right now we’re looking at a finish date of August or September. It’s going to be one eventful summer!

I did snap a couple photos in our courtyard before the April Showers appeared this week.


Above, Ringo - named by my granddaughter Lauren when she and I painted it together a few years ago -  made his appearance in the courtyard as the official mascot. His base needs some touch-ups. 

The bleeding heart we “inherited” is blooming profusely now, although this picture showing the early bloom stages is still lovely. You can see some of my clean-out debris (branches) behind it. I’m working that into our trash bins weekly. 


And the new friends? Besides helping out with some of the garden projects involving the common areas of our condo complex, I’ve been attending the weekly card games at the clubhouse. So much fun to make. new friends. Three ladies even came by yesterday to ask me to join an impromptu gathering at one friends’s house yesterday afternoon. And I learned in the process that one of the ladies knew Bruce’s late sister Fay (Cousin Kim’s mom) and some of our friends up in Bountiful, Utah, where Bruce grew up. Small world! 

I think that wraps it up for this week. I hope to have some fresh pictures, stories and sewing for you next week. We are having a “picture-hanging party” with the family here tonight. Maybe then we’ll finally be ready for some photos. 



7 comments:

  1. It's always scary doing a major house project involving multiple contractors. But you'll get through it just like you got through the moving. Nice to be approaching the end of the Anne of Green Gables blocks. Another project moving forward.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne of GG is just beautiful--I really like the colorway you chose for this...
    You have been busy, alright!! Dealing with contractors is always worrying...hope it all comes together for you..hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Purple and green are a wonderful combination. So happy you're enjoying your new surroundings. It's fun to play "do you know," and invariably you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I love the Anne of Green Gables quilt is looking good. A favorite color combination of mine! I wish I still had a bleeding heart plant. I’ve decided any additional plants I add, must be perennials! We have abundant shade on two sides, blasting southern exposure on the front and the west side is rock and trailer parking pad. Not much room for flora of any kind! I’m anxious to see photos of your new digs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the YELLOW block recap, Cathy, and glad to hear that you are settling into your new neighborhood! Best of luck finishing up the Anne quilt. I don't envy your kitchen remodel! It sounds like quite the process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of pretty yellow going on. I really like the 2nd picture too with the purples.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the fabric you have chosen for Anne of Green Gables, beautiful! Pretty yellow blocks too. We always had bleeding heart plants at the farm I grew up. The flowers are amazing. Ringo is a colorful addition to your garden.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!