Saturday, March 11, 2023

Just Goofing Around

It seems I’ve been pretty busy doing all sorts of things lately, except sewing. Well, I have been doing some sewing, so that’s not entirely accurate. But there were two or three days where I never even made it downstairs into the studio. 

Last Saturday, I added small white borders to the Bright Blocks quilt. I’ll show that momentarily. I also cut out pieces for some of my green March blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. On Sunday when my friend Ruby and Cousin Kim were here to sew, I got those mostly sewn up. Let’s take a look.

Eleven Little Bricks blocks. This is such a delightful and easy block that several of us are doing this year. The block is courtesy of Sylvia at Treadlestitches.


I started making these Little Bricks mid-year last year, so these will be added to that pile which already includes some green blocks. The more, the merrier!

On Monday, I finished these Four in Nine blocks while I waited for our housekeeper to show up. She kept pushing our time back, and finally ended up rescheduling for Wednesday afternoon. But I did get the laundry and these blocks done while I waited.

The first two have gray as the dark constant.


The next four have navy as the dark constant.


Tuesday was my weekly Weight Watchers workshop (lost another pound and a half). And then I put together these six Chaser blocks, a block from Cynthia Brunz of Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.  I’m using black prints on these to supplement the color of the month. Must whittle down the black scraps!


These went together very quickly, so I also sandwiched up the Bright Blocks quilt top and got it ready for quilting.  I usually layer up three or four quilt tops at once, but I was feeling restless and unfocused. So I went upstairs and spent the afternoon shopping online and ordering some long-sleeve sweaters, short-sleeve summer tops, a nightgown, a sundress, two pairs of shoes and a belt. Back in January I had ordered two sundresses and two summer tops, and they all fit and were keepers. So I was emboldened to try it again. The only thing that arrived this week (so quick!) was a pair of white sneakers for summer. They fit like a glove and are so dang comfortable. 

Wednesday morning we had our semi-annual dentist visit and cleaning. No cavities or other issues - YAY! Our housekeeper had to cancel again, so we did our monthly Costco run in the afternoon.

On Thursday I quilted and bound the  Bright Blocks top, and Thursday night we went out to dinner with son Ryan, DIL Kim, DGD Lauren and her boyfriend Graham. We always celebrate Ryan’ s birthday and mine together since they’re only five days apart. 

Here is Bright Blocks, which finished at 40x50” and will go to Quilts for Kids.


So you may remember my dilemma with that basket in the top center block. It was a white fabric with tiny colored polka dots, and I asked you guys if I would replace that fabric or ???  Wanda was the first to reply with the idea of adding to the basket with a colored marker to visually beef it up, and several of you echoed the idea. So that’s what I did, and I’m so pleased with the result.


I just added more polka dots with a fine-tipped orange permanent marker. Et voila!

Here’s the backing, which is so perfect color-wise that I’m still pinching myself. 


And that’s it for the sewing this week. Yesterday morning we did the grocery shopping, then in the afternoon we went to the Home and Garden Show at the South Towne Expo Center. It was more home-related stuff and less about garden stuff, but we did get some literature and referrals for some possible outdoor projects (cement resurfacing and xeriscaping) for this year.  

While there, we ran into the son (and grandson) of one of Bruce’s best friends who played with him for 50 years in their folk trio, The Muddy Gutter Boys. Lane (on the right) snapped a picture of us all. It was so good to see them!


Yes, my hair was up and it looked like hell. But in my defense, we had strong winds all day, gusting up to 40mph, and we had to walk into the wind from the parking lot to the expo center. Whew! We walked the entire show - great exercise - and then it was back out into the wind. 

And that was my week. It started raining last night and is supposed to continue all weekend. So, if you need me, I’ll be down in the studio quilting.

14 comments:

  1. it is hard to keep the hair looking good in the wind! I can put a ton of hair product on and spray over that and the wind comes in and looks like I just woke up without combing my hair! We used to go to those home shows but haven't gone to one in years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great fix for the basket block. I can't tell you how many times I have used permanent markers to cover a little sliver of white selvage that sneaked into a block. I love all of your green this month. I might have to make a small zig zag quilt in green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect solution for that basket block, and I love all your greens. We are also having cold rain, and I so much want to see more green outside. March showers bring April flowers? We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And happy birthday, too, to both you and your son!

      Delete
  4. I haven't done any sewing at all--hard for me to focus (I will not display my attempts at just plain seam sewing--aaargh!!) Instead I have taken out my old papers to cut and paste--a simple project and I really don't have to think beyond "do I want this picture, or that one?"
    I do love that Little Bricks block a lot--it is now on my to-do list--Happy birthday to you and your son!! Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got some pretty greens in your blocks, Cathy! It is the perfect color for March, isn't it? The Bright Blocks quilt is so sweet, and great fix on the one block you didn't like. So nice to be able to fix it without unstitching! Happy Birthday to you, and fun photo of you and friends that you ran into!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another busy week! Don’t know how you fitted in any sewing at all, but you did. Love the green blocks and the Sampler Quilt came together really well. Glad you added the basket part to that top row block (not what I said in my comment so pleased you ignored that idea). Belated Happy Birthday to you and Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you were able to use Wanda’s idea! You did a great job with those markers. I’d forgotten how much I like those chaser blocks! I must put them on my to-do list! Our Home Show is next weekend. It’s the season for garden dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your chaser blocks. I did something very similar for RSC a couple of years ago, although it had a different name. Like you, I used black strips and it made a very nice teenage boy type quilt with all the different colours used each month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wind isn't a friend when it comes to hair, is it? Those Four in Nine blocks are really terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday (early or late). Thanks for the info about Little Bricks. Love the greens. What fun to meet a long-time [who are you calling old?] friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of fun GREEN scraps in those blocks and a sweet quilt finish, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been using permanent markers to blend in some of the applique stitches on my hexie quilt. It was too much bother to change threads every time I came to a new hexie so I stuck to one colour and then added the marker to blend any that showed up.
    You know I already wished you a happy Birth Day, but I'll happily do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a cute bright and cheery little quilt. It will be loved! Every Saturday when I see what people do with their scraps for the week, then I think I need to stop and try out the blocks. LOL I may have to make some of those Little Brick blocks.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!