Saturday, March 4, 2023

It’s a Jungle Out There!

 This week’s post is going to be short and sweet and lean on pictures. I just had so much going on, so much on my mind and (insert any random excuse here) that I don’t have too much to share. But watch out next week…

I did manage to sew backings for 5 quilt tops. All of these are Community Quilts sent to me by others to layer, quilt and bind. But in order to do that, I had to sew strips and chunks together for the backs. That was how I spent my Thursday (instead of pin basting them). 

It’s my goal to have these layered and at least 3-4 of them quilted and finished by next weekend. 

I did finish my Creature From the Pink Circus quilt. 


This was so much fun to put together. It used 8 orphan blocks, and lots of pink scraps made into Chaser blocks, a checkerboard strip, a width-of-quilt crumb strip and lots of strips and chunks. It’s happy and … and… I forgot to take its measurements or sew on a Quilts for Kids label. But I can do those today. My brain seemed to be focusing on other things this week…


I’ve been sticking to my Weight Watchers food plan and the pounds are coming off. I blew past the 40-lb lost mark (down 42). I had to go out shopping and buy some new jeans and a couple other necessities. Last week I used (ate) my daily points allotment, but very few of my weekly points, which allow us to cover more calorie-laden meals or occasional splurges. But I’m feeling I need to use more of those weeklies (in other words, eat a bit more) as I get hungry at times. Eating more to lose weight… what a concept! Anyway, I have another 21 pounds to go to reach goal, which I hope to reach sometime this summer. And then go another 10 pounds or so under that as a cushion. Even that will have me 20 pounds over what my original WW goal was when I was 21. But 40 years and three children (and my doctor) says that’s just fine!

The color of the month for March in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is green. I’ll be mixing all my greens - light, dark and bright - together for my blocks this month. 

First up was framing 10 more of these jungle blocks. Hence, the “jungle” referred to in the blog post title. I have 20 finished now, but I still want to add frames in red, orange and yellow. When all is said and done, I’ll have 50 blocks to make into two quilts.


In March I’ll also be assembling this quilt of Bear Paw blocks, which were one of my blocks from last year’s Rainbow Scrap challenge. This is the layout up on the design wall.


The pink strips are just pinned up there to demarcate the sections for assembly. I’ve barely started with the left column, top 4 blocks.  

It’s still snowy and cold here. I just had my annual mammogram (all is well). In the coming week we have our semi-annual dentist visit and cleaning, and the following week is my annual physical. The fun just never stops around here….

14 comments:

  1. It looks like you managed to accomplish a fair amount to me! Thanks for providing a few pictures to keep us entertained, Cathy. Congrats on finishing up your pink Creature quilt and have fun with your GREEN scraps this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bear paw quilt with blocks in so many different sizes! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pink scrappy quilt. You have a way of puzzling blocks together to make such fun quilts. Bears Paw is one of my favourite blocks. Your colourful blocks in various sizes is so pretty!

    I hope that whatever has been distracting (distressing?) you this week resolves and that everything is OK. Have a great aeeek.

    PS awesome 👏 weight loss journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! For a quiet week you have achieved SO much. Makes my efforts look paltry! Firstly, congratulations on your amazing weight loss! Sensible to not let yourself get too hungry. Love your Pink Circus - looks great! Also Jungle blogs. Impressed with all your pieced backings. Go Cathy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. green is great for the jungle blocks and the bear paw will be fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pink quilt.
    You are doing great on your weight loss program. How many of us could get down to our age 21 weight? I think I would look like a skeleton with skin stretched over it if I ever got down that low. The thing about being older (82) is that the wrinkles show more if we get too thin so a little padding makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the loss at WW. I found as I got closer to goal, that I had to work at eating the weekly points or I ,too ,got hungry and the lbs did not drop so quickly.
    Love the green bordered jungle blocks and of course, Pink Creature is a favorite. I agree with Kat P. You have a gift for puzzling together all the variety of blocks.It truly amazes me, because I tried it once! EEWWW! Mine was really awful! Glad the mammo went well and good luck with other appts this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The jungle blocks look great, such a good idea to showcase a busy print. Pleased your mammogram results are good, I'm going for mine in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Green fits perfectly for the Jungle blocks for sure. I like your layout for Bear Paw blocks. Have a nice week, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your not much to share is more than most people can accomplish in a week. The jungle blocks are especially fun.
    Good for you for losing that much on WW. Resident Chef and I need to pay more attention to our loss because a little is creeping back on. Portion sizes MA - remember - portion sizes!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pink circus and that colorful jungle! The Bear's Paws are very festive as well. Here's hoping the dentist goes well, along with all those other pesky things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on finishing the pink quilt! I soooo love the scrappy look. Love your bearpaw quilt too, love the blocks in different sizes. Fun and cute jungle blocks, and great to have the quilt backings ready. Congrats on the weight loss, I'm sure you'll reach your goal. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another colorful bunch! The plethora of pink is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of fun blocks ,I luv how you made the pink quilt come together

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!