Friday, September 16, 2022

Down But Not Out

Well, I’m here, but I don’t have much to report for the week. 

On Sunday my leg and hip pain were so bad that we ended up going to the hospital emergency room. They did some X-rays, which showed that my hips were fine. That is, if mild osteoarthritis on the right side (where all the pain is) and “severe” osteoarthritis on the left side are fine. The actual diagnosis was sciatica  - a pinched main nerve bundle going from a possible herniated lumbar disc, traveling around the hip and down the leg that’s causing the pain and foot numbness. The cure? Time, along with physical therapy, Tylenol, and a heating pad. Light activity is encouraged, and I have an appointment with a physical therapist next week. 

So things are marginally better and will likely to continue to get better. Cousin Kim will be coming over on Sunday, and we are going to baste quilts come hell or high water. I have been doing some rote sewing in small increments of time - about 30-40 minutes once or twice a day.

I was able to sew 60 light blue string blocks. I’m linking up to Scrappy Saturday for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. The bundle on the very right needs to have their papers removed.

And 10 light blue Bullseye Courthouse Steps blocks.

From my living room chair this week, I was lucky enough to spot a cute little squirrel frolicking in our tree. Sorry the picture isn’t better, but at least I caught him. He scurried off seconds later…


I’m hoping to get more sewing done in the coming week. We’re also looking for a permanent weekly housekeeper. It’s been on My List for a few months. In the meantime, I’m prepping the garden harvest Bruce brings in. Yum… I made THE BEST tomato sauce this week! And we’re still giving lots away to friends and neighbors.

Life is good.

11 comments:

  1. Do hope the rest, pills and light sewing and cooking duties help to relive the sciatica. A horrid affliction - I remember it well from about 20 years ago. The pain was on my right side and from time to time my leg would suddenly give way. Once we were walking along the bank of the River Eden in the Lake District and I toppled down the bank towards the river. Fortunately a small tree stopped me from actually falling into the river, I was caught in the crook of the tree trunk and the steep bank. My husband, as always, was walking way ahead and when he looked back and couldn’t find me he retraced his steps and finally heard me calling for help. We still don’t know how he scrambled down to me and got me back up the bank. My hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Cathy, you did a lot even feeling sciatica pain. And that pain is terrible. The local heat helps to reduce inflammation with the pain medicine plus physical therapy you will feel better soon. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually can feel your pain, Cathy!! Rest and icing has helped me with that awful sciatic pain. I hope you feel better soon!
    Love your RSC "blues" sewing--(don't over do at your machine) ; I only sew 15 min at a time to give my back a break.. hugs and good wishes Julierose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your physical woes - it's so frustrating when the body declines to go along with what the mind wants it to do (also known as "my mind wrote a check my body can't cash!"). I've had sciatica off and on (both sides) for years, and I do find that stretching exercises really help. Hope that turns out to be the case for you. Sending healing vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, sciatica is the worst. Had it once years ago. My current affliction is neck pain on the left side. Was pretty bad last weekend, now just annoying. Has severely limited both sewing and outdoor cleanup. Hope the treatment plan brings you relief. Getting old sucks sometimes.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had sciatica & back pain for years also. I have been going to a great chiropractor for the last 2 yrs. faithfully & have no sciatica & back pain is very minimal. There have been times in the past where my hubs actually had to almost carry me in to the chiro. But not since I have been going every 2 weeks now. Now I'm doing great . Betty the quilter

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had bouts of sciatica many times over the years. The last bad bout was after travelling 7 hours in one position in the backseat of a car in 2018 and of course 7 hours home 4 days later. I still get twinges now and then, usually after sitting in a chair that either isn't the right height or firmness. It takes awhile to figure out which motions are irritating it and which give you a slight relief.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sciatica is a pain in the butt. Literally. Last spring it got so that I couldn't drive six blocks before the twinges began -- not a good thing when it's the right leg and when I am the only driver in the household. I resumed doing a series of stretching exercises every morning. That does the trick for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry you're hurting. I hope you see some improvement from the PT and the rest of it. It sounds like you're managing to keep mildly busy. That's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry you have pain and hurt. I've been following you since "ermaguard" in Barbara's site. How do have the energy to do so much. Goodness.! High five to you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Resident Chef can certainly identify with the sciatic pain but he absolutely refuses to seek help. I've tried to talk him into going to physio and/or a chiropractor but no go. He'd rather suffer it seems so I've given up. I'm very hopeful that your PT and doctor will be able to help you. Getting a housekeeper is a great idea - not only from the standpoint of your health, but just think of the time it will free up to sew!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!