Saturday, September 10, 2022

A Week of Mixed Feelings

Last Saturday, a week ago as I write this, we had a fun Girls Day Out for my granddaughter London, who turned 13. A teenager!! There were four of us - London, my daughter-in-law Kim (London’s Aunt Kim), Cally, her grandma who is married to my ex-husband, and me.  Our first stop was the Blick art store in Salt Lake City, where London got to pick out her own art supplies as my gift to her. She is as talented an artist (particularly sketching and painting) as her dad Shane, my middle son. After that we went to TCBY  for frozen yogurt, as it brought back many happy memories for all of us from when London was a pre-schooler. Then it was on to a nail salon where we all had pedicures, manicures and massages. London was in seventh heaven!

Our final stop was at Wheeler Farm, where Cally gave her a heart necklace. Cally held it and blessed the necklace with the strength and solidarity of all the women in London’s life, letting her know we would always be there for her. Then I took the necklace and blessed it so that London would look forward to a bright future while keeping in mind that her family and ancestors were not only a part of who she was, but whether alive or passed, loved her and were cheering her on. Finally, Kim took the necklace and blessed it with wishes for London to be happy, practice kindness and make good choices in her life. She then put the necklace on London. Now London can touch the necklace and remember our words and love for her. Then we took a selfie!

L-R: Aunt Kim, London, Grandma Cathy, Grandma Cally

The next day, Sunday, we had a whole family barbecue at Ryan and Kim’s house. London had requested a watermelon “cake”, which is really just a watermelon cut into layers and decorated with lots of cascading fruit. I was nervous to make it, but with the help of bamboo skewers sticks and toothpicks, it turned out fine. Here is London with her friends K and S.


London is wearing her heart necklace and says she’s never going to take it off! Even the slicked strawberries look like hearts!

On Wednesday, I started having hip pain on my right side. By Friday, it was interfering with my ability to move and be comfortable, so I guess a visit to the doctor will be on the schedule. I expect it’s bursitis and can be treated with cortisone shots. But we’ll see…

So, I didn’t get as much done this past week as I’d hoped. But the bright spot during the week was a box of lovely gifted fabrics and even a partially-finished quilt (with accompanying Eleanor Burns book) from Wanda at Exuberant Color. Wanda makes regular charitable donations, and I guess I (or more accurately Quilts for Kids) was the lucky recipient this time. Thank you so much for your generosity, Wanda! It is truly appreciated! 


I did get a bit of sewing done. I forgot to show this top last week. It is now basted and next up for quilting. You may recognize the Bullseye courthouse Steps blocks I’ve been making for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this year. This is quilt top #2 from those blocks.


For my Rainbow Scrap sewing (linking to Scrappy Saturday),  I  sewed 12 framed four-patches,


Twelve Little Bricks blocks ,


And these light blue checkerboard blocks (will be 8” each when sewn together). My plan was to use up the last of the light blue denim-look chambray to make a boy quilt. So I combined it with scraps and lone strips of unloved colors in my scrap stash - maroon and dark blue. It will end up somewhere in the neighborhood of 48x56”. 


That’s it for this week from the studio. I had hoped to baste some donated quilt tops, but I couldn’t manage by myself. In fact, I couldn’t negotiate the stairs down to the basement studio this morning, so I guess I’ll be getting this hip taken care of sooner rather than later.

Queen Elizabeth II
1926 - 2022






17 comments:

  1. You have a fabulous assortment of blocks going on! Love those bullseye blocks in particular. I sure hope your hip is just bursitis and can be relieved with shots. I had a hip replacement done on August 8, and within 2 weeks was able to navigate - slowly - the stairs down to my sewing room again. Now I'm 4 weeks out and it is a relief to be without pain, at least on the left side. Hip #2 will be replaced at some point too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely generational photo for a keepsake!!
    I really like the red (maroon) , white & blue blue 16 patch quilt...your September projects are well on their way...hugs, julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your hip problem. What a nuisance! Hope you get it sorted quickly. Glad the Girls Only events went well. Lovely idea to bless London’s necklace. Thank you for your beautiful photo of our Queen. It’s been a surreal time since her death and of course we’ve been watching TV for hours, lots of interesting programmes about her life. An amazing lady, a great loss to our country and Commonwealth and the World. However, we know King Charles III will be an excellent monarch, he is a very deep thinking man. Despite your hip problem you managed some sewing. Love your gifted fabrics - I bet your fingers are itching to cut into them and start sewing them up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, last comment was from me. Forgot to fill in my details!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Girls Day Out with London to celebrate her birthday sounds so fun! Love the bullseye quilt top and the little bricks, too. I'm sorry to hear about your hip, though - that is no fun. Hope there is a solution short of hip replacement, although that does seem to be getting very commonplace among our generation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear your hip is giving you such trouble. I hope it is something easy to take care of so you can get back to doing all the things you want to do. The watermelon cake is a great idea and I might steal that for a family get together in the future. All the blocks and fabrics are fun and show me that your hip hasn't slowed you down THAT much! I love the girls day with your granddaughter and the other women in the family. She will remember those things forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful way to celebrate a milestone birthday for London. Sorry about the hip. I'm having trouble with neck and shoulder pain since yesterday and it's a real drag. I like those framed four patches. That was a block design Kat used last year for Covered in Love quilts. No sewing for me right now (or anything else), just sitting and trying not to move.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keeping an eye on your little brick blocks! So cute. Loved the photo of London, her friends and that CAKE!! Gorgeous Grandma Cathy! Lovely Girl's Day Out for all of you. Memories made for dear London!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure London will remember her birthday celebration forever and it was wonderful to be able to spend it in the company of other strong women.
    So sorry you're in pain - hopefully it's not something that will drag on and that you can get help for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful Girls Day Out with London it was, Cathy.
    I am sorry to hear about your hip. It's not nice to feel pain. Hope it can be relieved soon.
    You sure did a lot of beautiful things, tops and blocks.
    Take care of yourself and have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much joy and happiness in one post, Cathy. I am overwhelmed. Unloved? You treat all your scrappy kids with such adoration, it is hard to believe the unloved bit, but I see what you mean. Love the watermelon cake - what a great idea for summer potlucks and cookouts. I wish I was part of the celebration - on all days. When did you make all those log cabin blocks. It seems I looked away for a minute and there they were covering your design wall in an explosion of color and beauty. I am sending you lots of love and healing wishes. Hope the pain is easily fixed and you are back to your hoppy self.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely memento of a special day for London. "Not as much sewing"?? Look as though you were plenty busy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So You're a fairy grandmother now. What a lovely couple of day's to be able to spend with your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your lovely ceremony with your granddaughter had me tearing up! I hope you're feeling better soon. Congrats on all the sewing you got done. I especially like the blue Little Bricks. Now you've got me thinking of making a whole quilt of them in one color! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So nice to see pics of the generations together, I'm sure you all had a great time. So sorry that you are having pain in your hip, I do hope it is a quick fix for you. Nevertheless, you still managed to get quite a bit of blue sewing done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful day with the women of your family. I love the blessing of the necklace and speaking encouraging words over your GD. So, so many good quilt blocks, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Girls Day Out sounds so fun. I just love the blessing of the necklace! How special! Your projects are great. Love the "unloved colors" classification. I think I may have a few of those.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!