Friday, December 31, 2021

Wrapping Up 2021


It’s time to wave goodbye to 2021. It seems this year flew by, but we always think that at year-end, don’t we? The deep winter here in the northern hemisphere allows us time to reflect during the year-end holidays. All in all, it’s been a pretty good year at the Kizerian Cottage. There are always ups (good health, family and friends, quilting and traveling) and downs (basement leaks/floods, the pandemic and politics). I’m so very grateful that we have another year to look forward to together. There are so many good things ahead! And did I mention cats? CATS! Our dear fur kids Alfie and Darla always liven up the time we spend at home. Yeah, cats are near the top of the Good Things category. 

This year I sewed a total of 68 quilts. That’s a lot, to be sure, but remember that most of them were kid-sized quilts for my favorite local charity, Quilts for Kids, Salt Lake Chapter. Those kid quilts usually measure 40-42” wide and under 50” long. I had my machine “Bernadette” (a Bernina 550QE) serviced this week, and the technician noted on the service notes that I had put on 2.8 million stitches this year! 

Looking back at the year, I can divide my quilts into those I made as donation quilts for Quilts for Kids, those I made for person use or gifting, and those I made for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (which may have ended up as a personal or donation quilt). 


**** Donation Quilts ****

Here are five of my favorite (or your favorites, judging by comments) QFK quilts from this year

“Creamsicle”, Orange and Cream String Quilt, September
This was just a fun make and used up so many string scraps. I got into a groove and when I came to, the blocks were done, LOL!


Riverdance , July
Riverdance came about when I was gifted some navy and orange scraps. I already had some four-patches in those colors set aside and they all blended well. To set the blocks apart, I used white strips to make them “dance”, hence the name.

Stringing the Blues, July
It’s no secret that I love string blocks. But when I had more than enough in blue to make an entire quilt, I figured “why not?”


Bright Blocks, June
This was a fun challenge I set for myself. I had some multi-colored patches aging in my scrap stash (the middle patches), so I pulled limited-quantity scraps and strips that matched it in reds, blues and greens. Eventually, this is how it came together. It was a blast! Sorry it’s pinned up wonkily on the design board!


Seahorse With No Name, March 
This was inspired by the border fabric, picked up at an estate sale. I used a Kaffe Fasset fabric for the sea floor and a solid light green for the water. The seahorse is my interpretation of one similar that I saw online. For added interest I pieced a color-gradient reef and appliquéd some “coral”. The water was given wavy line quilting.


**** Personal Quilts ****

My personal favorite quilts I made this year were:

Pinwheels (for Lauren)

Beachcomber (for Graham)

Zipperumpazoo (for Megan)


Stay at Home (for Kelly)


Ring Around the Roses (for me)

Ring Around the Roses was finished just a couple days ago. I made the blocks in January and February as I sewed along with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. The rose fabric is one that’s been in my stash probably 8-10 years, and I absolutely adore it. It’s been something I’ve been looking forward to finishing, and the wait was worth it.


Ring Around the Roses was quilted with a small vine-y loop. In the four corners I stitched a large rose motif, one of which you can see in the above picture. The quilt finished at 60x72” and I am enjoying it already!!

**Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) Finishes**


Top Row: Spring Stars, Waffles, Cats
Middle Row: Windmills I and II
Bottom Row: Beachcomber, Sampler

I still have two RSC quilts to finish from 2021’s blocks: Chips and Split Nines.


* * * * * * * * * * *

Our Christmas was spent at the home of my son Ryan and daughter-in-law Kim. The grandkids Lauren (and boyfriend Graham) and Easton were there, too, of course. Easton was home from the Navy in South Carolina for Christmas.

L-R: Bruce, Lauren, Cathy, Graham, Kim, Easton, Ryan


All of Kim’s family was there (except one brother and his son), but there were 23 of us all together. Everyone was vaccinated, and we took a Covid test upon arriving before joining the festivities. We had a great meal (everyone contributed), great conversation, lots of laughter, gift opening and lots of catching up.  (Bruce and I aren’t in this picture. I was photographer *cough*).


So, this week we’ve been having snowstorm after snowstorm (at least the snowblower is fixed!) and are staying home for New Year’s Eve. 

Thanks for joining me this year! Your support and comments and friendship have meant the world to me! I hope you’ll continue to drop by in 2022. I’ll be continuing with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and Quilts for Kids among other things. 

May your New Year 2022 be healthy and happy!  (Oh! Dang it! Can you believe that our beloved Betty White died on December 30?!? Say it ain’t so!). 




23 comments:

  1. It's a good thing you have that staircase for your family to pose for the photo - it's perfect! What a lovely array of quilts you've made this year. It's enticing to see what this year brings. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 68 quilts made in 2021 - Wow! They’re all lovely for all sorts of reasons, Mainly because you know how to use scraps and make them go zing. I had forgotten your Bright Blocks quilt but it’s such a clever use of those red, greens and blue squares and strips. The Seahorse one is super, like a picture. Pleased you had such a great family get together and you have photos to keep the memory of the day alive in you head. Happy New Year. I’m already looking forward to seeing what beauties you come up with using red this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a busy year you have had, despite the occasional hiccup. May 2022 prove even more production with fewer obstacles. Here's to a healthier year for us all.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's a lot of quilts! I can't pick a favorite, but I do love the pink and yellow Ring Around the Roses. So pretty! Wishing you and your beautiful family a happy 2022, and another fun year in the sewing room for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ummmm....ONLY 2.8 million? You're falling down on the job! Ahem.....
    Nice to see a retrospect of your favourite quilts and I have to say my favourite was 'Stringing the Blues' (not that I like blue or anything of the sort!). But best of all is seeing all those smiling faces from your family! May 2022 be filled with many more occasions like that - and with good health, safety, and many more stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so inspiring to see what you do for Quilts for Kids, Cathy! Quilts that size are perfect for me to finish - I should send you a few. So glad you got to be with the family for Christmas. Here's to lots more quilting and family in 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Dear Cathy and Bruce! I love all that you accomplished last year, you certainly are an inspiration! I am looking forward to your colorful and lively posts this year as well!
    I have listed 9 or 10 quilt tops to get sammiched and quilted and two that were being lazy up in my loft. (Two and a half years they waited for me to get to them! (I had no way to get up there, we now have actually stairs.)
    So my 2022 is booked!
    We're living through the drifts of snow as you are...no fun! Plus our pipes froze so we have no water! UGH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go figure all the quilts I love are orange! What fun, to have family for the holidays and a picture like that to commemorate. What a great looking bunch!

    We have been calling 21 the year that wasn't because we seem to have ended up in the same place we began it.
    Hoping 22 will be not any worse than 21.
    *Takes a deep breath looks around with suspicion*
    There, my optimism for the year is taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on a productive 2021 and wishing you a very Quilty New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful gathering you had with your family. So glad you all were able to meet up - family is so important. You have been giving that machine a workout. So glad she got a spa day before you tackle 2022 projects. Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year. Give those cats a few chin nuzzles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations…your productivity has no parallels and the internet is officially full. Wishing you lots more happiness and much less “excitement.”

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, so many finishes!! You've given me some great ideas for RSC this year. Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quite an impressive array of quilts and family! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great family stair photos! It looks like such a happy gathering. So many great quilts this year. Enjoy the finish of your last 2 RSC21 quilts just in time to start on RSC22

    ReplyDelete
  15. So much fun to see a retrospective of your 2021 quilts! That rose fabric IS gorgeous, so glad you are happy with the results. Yay for safe family gatherings! We had a mini one, but it was so smile-inducing. Wishing you health & happiness in 2022...and LOTS of creative stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have always been a superwoman of sewing to me, so nice to see pics of some of your 2021 quilts. I know there have been lots more. Happy New Year to you both, it's been so nice sharing your quilting endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love seeing the recap of your quilts! Well done indeed! Wonderful that you were able to share Christmas with such a large extended family. The photo on the stairs is priceless! We must savor moments like those. They don’t happen often!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved all of this post, Cathy -- so great to see your entire family gathered for Christmas. Thank you for the quilt show. I think my favorite is Seahorse With No Name. Here's to 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lots of quilt finishes and lots of family!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your quilts, but what a beautiful family! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You never fail to impress me with your productivity and creativity. I'm so glad you had a good holiday with loved ones and I wish you the very best for everything in 2022! XO

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  23. There is just so much joy and goodness in this one post. I love all of your string quilts. The orange is yummy and the blue is so handsome. But the best part of this post is the smiling family. Wishing you good health and happiness in the new year. I also came here looking for inspiration (for second RSC project) and now I have too many ideas. Dang!!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!