Saturday, August 21, 2021

We’re Gonna Need a Bigger Boat

We had a contractor over last Sunday. It was the same contractor (Cousin Carrie’s husband Jeff) who did our living room remodel in 2016-2017. He began slowly digging into/ tearing down the west wall of my basement studio, which is the west exterior of our home. You may recall that our big storm at the end of July, which also split our maple tree in two, poured water into my studio. There was little, if any, good news as Jeff dug in. Long story short, the rain and sprinklers have been coming into the house through a hairline crack where the basement foundation wall meets the home’s exterior brickwork. The water then ran down a foot or so and spread out in the wall around and in front of the solid window and down the wall on each side and to the floor. 

Contractor Jeff starting demolition

Since the window blinds fell down during the initial storm (due to the wet and rot), I’ve been using a piece of batting taped to the window to block out the western sunlight. 

First, the window framing came off. The paneling and sheetrock on the wall were bubbled, so they got torn off next. There was no insulation on this exterior wall. The studs and woodwork were all sopping wet and moldy. So he tore those out and did all the mold abatement. The brand new carpet (3 months old) and padding were pulled back out of harm’s way. We set up a fan to dry things out. We’re fairly confident that when everything else is repaired, the carpet can be restretched and relaid. What’s left now is the cement basement foundation wall and the window.

This is the problem on the exterior - a hairline crack between the foundation wall and the exterior brickwork. No flashing; building codes in 1963 were not what they are today! 


So, this is how the studio looked for Monday and Tuesday, with plastic separating the problem area off. On Tuesday, I sprayed vinegar on any wood (carpet tacking strips) that may have gotten wet. It is the new preferred treatment (over bleach) for mold. But heavy storms were forecast beginning Tuesday night through Thursday, so Jeff routed out and sealed the exterior crack temporarily and taped it off.  


The storms started on Tuesday night, and the temporary fix worked. We stayed dry all evening and night. The next morning, everything was still great, and we began to breathe easier. 

Cousin Kim came over and we carved out a little area to sew. It was cramped, but we were sewing, listening to good vibes and reminiscing about all the fun of our recent trip. Bruce was upstairs and it poured all day. Occasionally he’d look outside to check the drain at the basement landing outside the back basement door to make sure it was still draining. And it was. About 2:00 I stood up from my chair to move to put in some new music and squish! My feet were wet. It took a few seconds for it to compute. The water had been seeping in the back door; the drain had clogged and risen over the threshold. You never saw three people mobilize so fast in your life!

Bruce threw towels down the stairs for us, then ran out to the sheds to unearth the shop vac. Kim and I moved supplies and fabric up and away as quickly as we could. We were using towels until Bruce brought in the shop vac, then Kim did that while Bruce went out to clear the drain. I moved the furniture (it’s all light) and machines and wrung towels. What a team! Bruce came back in and manned the shop vac while we drove to Home Depot to get more large floor fans and sandbags. Actually they’re silicone bags that expand when wet and contract when dry. Reusable. Brilliant. 

Jeff came over later (and again on Thursday), and we pulled back half the room’s carpet, and moved everything out of the entire west and south side of the room. It rained all day Thursday too, but the sandbags were in place and we had no further issues. On Friday, it was gloriously sunny and dry. We had the doors open to the warm sunshine and things are airing out and the carpet is dry. We think the pads are just about dry too. But this is the state of my studio now.



And through all this, Bruce was feeling miserable with a painful cracked tooth. On Thursday he finally was able to get a root canal and crown done. We’ve been eating soft food all week and he’s been living on Ibuprofen.

Sooo…… guess how much sewing I got done this week? Well, I did get some done between floods. The answer is 19 aqua string blocks. I haven’t removed the foundation papers yet, and there’s nowhere decent to photograph them, but here they are for what it’s worth. I’ll be sharing with Scrappy Saturday.


I was sewing together all my aqua waffle blocks when the flood part two happened, so they’re not done yet. On Sunday, Kim and I will probably just sew upstairs at the kitchen table and I can finish them then, and maybe something else. Who knows. We’ll see what contractor Jeff says and does with the room in the meantime. And then I’ll have to find where I squirreled all my stuff amid the chaos. Maybe we’ll just be working on puzzles another week! 

Oh, and this second round of storms also took out the remainder of our maple tree. R.I.P.  Neighbors are coming over today with a chain saw to cut it off and haul it over to the southeast corner of our property. We are very fortunate to have such a wonderful support group of family, friends and neighbors.


On a final note, I want to thank you all for the kind comments over the last couple weeks. It’s been another challenging time for us. I chronicle many of our life events here in my blog in addition to my hobbies because we convert them into annual printed books. Of course, there is much that I don’t share here (aren’t you glad?) In fact, there are some exciting things happening with some of our kids’ families that we aren’t sharing yet, but maybe in time. So with all the “downs”, there are also plenty of “ups”. Life is good. 


24 comments:

  1. Holy cow! This was a whopper of a storm! Sorry it did more flooding to your basement. Ugh! But it will all be fixed soon, right? Then back to fun sewing in your studio. The string blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Just as I hit enter on my comment, the heavens let loose here! The rain is pounding on my roof! Stay dry up there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope there are more "ups" than "downs" in your future! That whole basement crisis is way too familiar to me unfortunately, but I'm glad you have a good contractor to get it fixed. In our previous house we had a hairline crack, and had similar issues. In this house the only wet areas we've had were due to flooded window wells. So far anyway. I really don't like having my sewing room in the basement but it is the only practical space in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my how awful! I can't imagine being inundated with water in your quilting room. Hoping things are getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a week you have had. I hope the repair sorts everything out for you. 🤞the carpet dry out properly and that you can get your studio back working again. As always, love your string blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you ever want to move to the Gulf Coast, you're all set for what hurricanes (and just our generic thunderstorms) can do to a home! Seriously, I'm sorry all this is happening, but glad it seems to be a fairly straightforward repair job. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good heavens! We had rain on Wednesday and Thursday , too! But not nearly the amounts you got! You sure keep a positive attitude throughout your trials and tribulations! I never thought of printing my blog for a “Year in the Life” kind of book! Great idea! You got a lot of sewing accomplished for a couple that had such “adventures “! Thank goodness for family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All that AND you finished 19 AQUA String blocks?!?! You are incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, what a time you are having with house issues. Hopefully with a good contractor on site it will all be remedied soon. Those sand bags sound interesting, reusable ones, never heard of that. And you still got some aqua stitching done, good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heroic efforts all around! And 19 blocks on top of everything, too. I hope this all works out this week and you get to have some "normal" time for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a week you had, Cathy! It sounds like everything will work out okay in the end, but lots to do to fix things in between. Glad you have a good contractor to help. May you have a little sewing therapy time this coming week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a storm!! We are hunkered down here for "Horrible Henri's" landfall tomorrow...
    Here in CT on the shore we are possible right in the eye...or on the windy side--these things are never easy to project I guess...anyway we are as prepared as we can be...Wind/water-- both can be devastating...hope all is well with you and your home hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seems like you’re using just a few too many bolds in your life right now. Maybe add in some neutrals or a huge expanse of white (not snow!). It helps to have a place for your eyes to rest…with just a little less movement. It sounds like you’re working on balance so that’s reassuring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness Cathy! It's wonderful that you have such a great team going on. So sorry to hear all the damage that darned rain did. If I could I would take some of your rain away and use it here. We are just now starting to get our regularly programmed weather. We had about a month of unusually high temps. My poor daughter was moving the one air conditioner from sewing room to my bedroom and then dining room. I cannot sleep when it's above 65 degrees and I was watching my grandson while she was working so I had to get my ZZZ's in.
    Take care dear friend. I am in awe of how you keep that smile going through all of the trials!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, it isn't boring at your house. So glad you have help. Stay strong, everyone says things will get better. I'll just wait with you and everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We, too have played with the "hairline crack" and it was not covered by insurance and not cheap! It sounds like you are reaching dryness now, so that is good. Our damage from the monster windstorms was total loss of a large sycamore in our side yard. City property, so we lucked out there. Take care and soon you'll be sewing again! (Am amazed at your strings being done!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How lucky you were that Cousin Kim was there when the deluge began, and that you were working in the basement so you were (almost) immediately aware of the flooding. Also fortunate that Jeff was already working on the situation, so you are not waiting on a contractor to analyze the problem. Here's hoping any additional rains hold off and that the carpet can be rescued. You certainly deserve a break in the action.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Cathy! {{{{Hugs}}}} a bunch for all of you. Isn't it just fabulous that cousin Kim and Ken are in your lives?! Great helpers, great friends (and family, although you can't pick them), and all around great support. Here here to having a solution! Water leaks are especially sneaky and troubling since where you SEE them isn't where they start. Phew! It seems like life is balanced for the most part. For all the troubles there are always silver linings and good news to be shared. Can't wait to hear about the upcoming good events. {{Hugs}} again! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh dear! So glad you three were able to spring into action. That sounds like not a good time! I hope your sewing studio is dry and rain-free soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a saga! A soggy saga! Sadly, sans sewing! Water damage is so tricky, so I'm glad you have a good contractor to get it fixed up right. Poor Bruce and his sore tooth. I'm sorry you lost your tree, too. Hoping it all gets resolved and you can get back to doing what's really important: quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, noooo! What a challenging time you've had this year, Cathy. I hope things will get straighted out -- well, dried up! -- and stay that way. [I'm interested in the annual printed book you refer to...details?]

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW, all that chaos from the storms made me check where you are.... Utah! I expected it to be the east coast! Beautiful string blocks, I love that color! So sorry for the sodden mess and broken tree. Hope you get every thing inside back the way it should be. My sis in Maryland uses a bag of potting soil or two for sandbags for her basement entry. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, dear! Hoping you get an occasional 'dull moment' in the near future! I'm amazed you got any sewing done at all in the midst of all that chaos!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh you are such a warrior to have powered through all that chaos. Such an ordeal!!! Hope everything is sorted out by now. Sending healing vibes for Bruce. The aqua blocks are absolutely lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!