Saturday, August 14, 2021

So Many Things to Share!

It’s been a busy couple weeks. Last night I finally wrote up a blog post about our week-long trip to a Missouri Star Quilt Company retreat in Hamilton Missouri. That post is HERE because I wanted to do it justice in a separate post. It’s fun and there’s some nice eye candy, so check it out! But I STILL have so much to share, so I won’t waste any time.

Let’s start off with the blocks I managed to get sewn up this week for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. The color for August is aqua/teal/turquoise. I’m linking up to Scrappy Saturday to share my blocks with the others who are working hard to put their fabric scraps to good use!

First up was the aqua momcat and her litter of five kittens. I always sew one kitten to match mom, and this month was no exception. 

Next came the two Spring Star blocks.

It took me a good two days after returning home last Saturday evening to recover from the trip. By “recover” I mean sleep, do laundry, rest, unpack and nap,  LOL. There was a lot of fabric fondling, too. Here are some pictures, but they’re not exhaustive (because I was exhausted). 

These are some of the large cuts (all are 4-5 yards except the teacups, which is 2 yards). The red Kaffe fabric with circles will be the backing to my International Sisters quilt - the one I’m making for myself. That will be a priority in the new year. The other Kaffe fabric, those luscious chrysanthemums, will be a backing for an orange quilt I’m itching to make. 


In the foreground of the above photo is a large cut of Tula Pink’s Fairy Dust background fabric. I fell in love with that when Julie stared using it for some of her RSC blocks. I plan to do the same in ‘22. The top navy floral was a sale fabric with metallic, and I just fell in love.

Next up are some fabrics I bought for the next quilt I’ll make for Bruce. Thankfully, he likes them! I took a sample of an orange fabric (see it there on the white) depicting radio circuits to match up. I got a couple science-themed fabrics, some red grunge and lots of solid gray. The gray matches perfectly, but I actually bought it for another project that I’ll show later in the post.


Next up is some navy Kona (because I’m on a navy kick), a pattern and batik strips with which to make this handled tote, and a yard of colorful sale fabric that I could just see for making lots of zipper blocks.


A puzzle and a rainbow jelly roll…


I couldn’t resist this Tula Pink fabric. I think it’ll become another pillowcase for moi! And the Kaffe Collective and Tula fat quarters (only $2 each) were too good to pass up. 


Now, let’s jump back in time for a moment to the week prior to the fabric acquisition trip retreat. This is a line of fabric I bought from Connecting Threads called “Alfie”. Regular readers know that one of my crazy felines is named Alfie. That, coupled with these beautiful florals, practically *forced* me to acquire them. I’m sure you totally understand. 


There are cats among the main floral! Anyway, that solid gray I showed above will be used with these fabrics to showcase them in one of those shadow-framed block quilts. Another project for myself for 2022. After eight months of sewing donation quilts almost exclusively. I’m planning selfish sewing in a big way for the new year!

Another thing I did before leaving for the retreat was to sew this orange 12” block. It was the final one needed to complete a long-running Rainbow Scrap Challenge sampler quilt.


When I returned home, I sewed up the flimsy. The top is now waiting to be sandwiched up. Unfortunately, this picture just shows the blocks pinned to the design board. The actual quilt top is sashed and bordered. I should have it finished next week.

At the retreat, I got all of these blocks sewn up, so it was easy to assemble the flimsy once I got home. I love the colors in this line, even though it’s way too matchy-matchy for my tastes. It was a layer cake I wanted to use up. 


There will be a small white stop border then a wider yellow border added. The backing will be the same yellow print. I’m thinking this will make a perfect quilt for my granddaughter Lauren’s high school graduation next May. 

And here is the status of the other project I worked on, the Ribbon Quilt from Jordan Fabrics. All the blocks are cut and sewn; they just need to be assembled and a border added. I’d like to finish this in August, too. 


Additionally, I’ll have two aqua scrap quilts to sew for Quilts for Kids. The pieces are gathered, but they can wait until I clear off the other things in the next ten days or so. 

Our garden has finally begun sharing its bounty. Even the compost bin had a volunteer snapdragon to present to us!

This was my harvest last Sunday, and Thursday’s harvest was nearly identical. Well, about two less spaghetti squash and double the cherry tomatoes.

The onions are almost ready too - their tops are beginning to fall. I pick one or two as we need them, but the bulk of them will stay in the ground until all the tops have fallen and I can pull and dry them out as a batch for storage. The birds are spending a lot of time in the higher more bird-accessible areas of the grape arbor. That means the rest of the grapes (reserved for humans) are not far behind. It’s a busy time of year. 

This coming week we have a dentist appointment (Bruce - toothache from a cracked tooth that will probably need either a root canal, crown, or both). I’ll be getting more cortisone so I can function again like a sixty-something instead of a ninety-something. And hopefully there will be a contractor visiting to give us an estimate on fixing the basement leak. We’ve already determined from a window contractor that it’s NOT the window. Some exploratory demolition of the interior wall will be happening. Of course - it’s in my studio. That means I’ll be doing The Fabric Shuffle again. Because the thought of sheetrock dust and my fabric in the same room makes me (pick any:) cry, itch, feel faint. 


22 comments:

  1. I loved your Missouri trip report - so glad you had so much fun! And then another post with all the fabric eye candy - bonus! I love the layer cake quilt that will be for Lauren. Such pretty colors! And your garden bounty is amazing, too. What will you do with all that squash? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved seeing your fabric acquisitions... a lot of eye candy! Your quilt top intended for Lauren is lovely. Fingers crossed for your window problem, sorry you have to move your fabric yet again but I’m sure it’s the best thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your aqua kitty blocks...I just might make kitties for RSC2022! Thanks for sharing your trip to MSQC...fun, fun, fun! Best wishes in discovery your pesky water problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice purchases! You've got a lot of fun in store for 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I’m going to have to acquire some Alfie fabric. And I love the idea of the Tula cat heads for a pillowcase…sweet dreams guaranteed. I’ll use that as my excuse to get another yard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sewing room will be so full of colour, no problem at all with insulation as the fabric can be a force to recon with. Enjoying retreat is the cherry on top! Have an awesome week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at all that beautiful produce! I was almost distracted from the gorgeous fabrics that followed you home. Proof that the trip was fun, right? The quilts are very nice, too, especially the "matchy" one. It's very cheerful! Good luck with basement guy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love to see your "cat family of the month", this aqua family is so cute. And who doesn't like shopping, so many interesting fabrics. I've never seen or eaten spaghetti squash, will you be able to use them all, freeze them perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Envious of the many spaghetti squash! We love that stuff! We don’t have a garden…just 4 tomato plants! Keeping us in BLTs! So much yummy fabric goodness! Oh my! Your 2022 creations will be fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Snazzy blocks, snazzy loot, and snazzy garden bounty! Hopefully all that goodness will offset the heartache (and backache) of shifting all that fabric again...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun to see all the fabrics that followed you home! And of course, now I have to find some TP Fairy Dust for my stash ;-) The Alfie fabrics are amaze-balls, too - can't wait to see them worked up! Your garden is being much more productive than ours was this year - enjoy the fruits of your labors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, this was an inspiring post, seeing all that wonderful fabric, just itching to be sewn into quilts. I love the fairy dust fabric and bought some online back during lockdown as I wasn't sure any of our local shops would carry it. I don't remember seeing the "Alfie" line in Connecting Threads. I'll have to go back and look it up as there is lots to like. I, too, wonder how you will use all the spaghetti squash.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of eye candy here! You made some really fun fabric acquisitions. Missouri Star is really a fun destination for quilters. Love those aqua cat blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. SEW glad you had a successful trip, Cathy! Who knew that you went for the shopping? I missed the retreat post, but am off to check it out now...

    ReplyDelete
  15. You made great advances on your retreat! The new fabrics are delicious (so is the garden bounty). The 'smoothing iron' triangle print is my favorite, I think....

    ReplyDelete
  16. MSQC trip sounds like a lot of fun. My brother-in-law's wife who lives in TX suggested we meet up there for some fun. She just started quilting, is addicted and already has a longarm.

    Good for you for sewing yourself up some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm drooooooooling over your fabric purchases!! So much bright, happy rainbow goodness! Good thing I'm thousands of miles away or I might be tempted to sneak thru one of your windows in the night and liberate them :) I love the layer cake flimsy with the little pinwheels. Is that your original design?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi again, Cathy! Good job on all of your purchases. Lots of fabulous eye candy in this post! I had to giggle at the jigsaw puzzle - I ordered three (3!!!) 500-piece ones from their online shop although we prefer the 1,000 ones. Good luck at the dentist - I just had a cracked tooth fixed. They actually "printed" the new crown in the dentist's office! I had to wait 45 minutes and I walked out with the new crown in one visit. Good luck with the shot as well. I hope it gives you loads of relief. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always have so many pretty projects going! That jelly roll will make beautiful bags! And good for you for planning some selfish sewing after most of a year focusing on donation quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. All things bright and beautiful can be found here. Lovely projects and yummy veggies. Lauren's quilt will be absolutely beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my - what wonderful stash acquisitions! I can but dream of trawling through a fabric shop, although I have to admit I've been letting my fingers 'do some walking' and the mailbox sometimes yields something fun.
    Could you share more about the bag pattern you have in the photo? There's a glare on the plastic sleeve and I'm curious to know the name of it. Might be something needful for my stash of patterns.
    Good luck to Bruce - hope the dreaded dental thing turned out not to be a huge issue.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!