Saturday, October 10, 2020

Tyrol Quilt Finished!

Hooray! I put the last stitches in the binding of Tyrol yesterday late afternoon. It was too late in the day to take any nice photos outdoors, but that will hopefully be something that Bruce and I can figure out today. I have to be the holder-upper while he photographs (since his arm surgery). But that’s OK if I can find a good place in the yard to photograph. In the meantime, though, these pictures taken in my studio will have to do.

Tyrol finished at 67” x 82”, before laundering. 

The focus fabric around which the color scheme was built, is an old Amy Butler print from her Lark fabric line some 6-8 years ago. The camera sees it as more blue than the jade/teal it really is.


For the quilting, which was done on my Bernina, I chose a loopy design that included three-petal leaf (or petal) motifs scattered throughout. The outer border was done in a double-loop vine. Nothing too fancy, but the curves were a nice contrast to the angles and points of the pieced flowers. It took me three sessions of quilting on three different afternoons to get it done. 


The backing is a two-toned orange print that my DIL Kim and I selected together. The binding is the same jade focus print. 




I washed the quilt after these pictures were taken, so any subsequent pictures from today will show the quilt as more soft and crinkly. 


Tyrol will go to Paula, who is my DIL’s mom. It was a pleasure to sew this as a Christmas present for her, because we all adore her (me, Bruce, and my son Ryan - she’s his MIL). 

Next I’ll be sewing a few borders on this Christmas truck panel quilt for my brother. I’m keeping it really simple with no additional outer blocks. I’ll just add plain borders to bring it up to a good size, then back it with a closely-matching print of tossed trucks.. Badda-bing, Badda-boom. Done before you know it. 


I’m hoping to show this quilt as a finish next week so I can get on to the next Christas quilt, which will be for Paula’s husband Bill (AKA my son Ryan’s father-in-law). 

But there was plenty of Rainbow Scrap sewing this past week. My yellow scraps had really accumulated because I sewed a lot of quilts with yellow and/or gold in them over the last year. I’m linking to Scrappy Saturday at Angela’s So Scrappy blog. 

16 Twin Sisters blocks at 6.5” (unfinished) each. 


After sewing them, I had 113 out of the 120 I needed to make a quilt measuring 60x72”. So I just pulled some mixed-color fabric chunks and sewed the remaining 7 blocks. 


The block on the top left was made from four little remnant strips I had from a border I’d sewn for Quilts for Kids. So all those blocks are done! Now they'll join their brethren - oops, I guess they’ll be joining their “sisters” since they are called Twin Sisters blocks - to be stitched into a quilt top after the Christmas obligations are sewn.

And then I moved on to the Split Nine blocks. They, too, are a 6.5” size, and I sewed 18 of them.


Of these Split Nines, I’ve sewn 104 out of the minimum 120 I’ll need. However, I may need to sew more depending on how I decide to set them. At any rate, I started these in March, so I still have a couple colors to add to them next year, most notably orange. I’ll probably also add a few light greens. We’ll see what the setting design dictates.

On a personal note, there’s not much new here. The weather is still warm (too warm for autumn), but the leaves are changing. Bruce is still going weekly to the occupational therapist and learning more fine motor skills with his bio-mechanical arm and hook. I had a mammogram that came back fine, but now I have to schedule my annual physical. Ugh. We are digging up the last of the garden - the tomatoes - today. Actually, Bruce is doing that and I’m bringing in yard decorations and the remaining flower pots. Many of my roses are blooming again so I’ll cut some and make an indoor bouquet. Have a great week!


24 comments:

  1. Love those split nine patch blocks! Tyrell came out awesome! She is going to love it. Glad the doctor appts are going well. Enjoy the warm weather before the chill of winter sets in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty red plaid... I love red plaid! Your blocks are really pretty in yellow too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always get so much done in a week - so impressive! Tyrol is just gorgeous - it will be a lovely gift! I really like the split 9 blocks, and what happens when you lay them out together. I'm going to put them on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on getting that lovely gift quilt done, Cathy! Your YELLOW Twin Sisters blocks and a few extra for the WIN. RSC quilt coming right up!! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tyrol looks great, Cathy -- I like the shooflies that appear at the corners/sashing. I recognize the Twin Sisters from Block Lotto!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tyrol came out so beautifully--really pretty. You've been busy sewing this week and this month--lots of lovely yellow blocks going on there.
    Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tyrol is gorgeous! Congrats on that finish. What a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the tyrol quilt is really wonderful - congrats. and your yellows are a great addition

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, I love that Tyrol quilt. It's gorgeous! The windmills and split nine patches look great too!Somehow my quilts are never "done before you know it," but it sounds like a great plan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your Tyrol finished up to be quite a beauty. I’m also impressed that you got so many yellow blocks finished, although I’m sure you assigned yourself a few demerits for not finishing an entire yellow quilt too. There’s always next week. I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful finish and what great projects you have!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness, such a busy week and so much to show for its! So nice to have a finish, and all your ongoing projects are coming along well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Tyrol quilt, such a nice blend of colors. Congratulations on your finish. I'm sure Paula will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt looks fantastic! I have the same backing fabric that I have been saving/hording for years! It's such a pretty fabric that matches a variety of colors. And I love your yellow blocks. You are a busy bee!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seems like you only started Tyrol a couple of days ago... Such a gorgeous quilt!
    Enjoy your yellows - and your roses!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucky lady Paula to receive that quilt from your DIL and sewn by you. It is a beautiful quilt. The colors are simply yummy!
    I think I will try again in January to start back with the Scrappy blocks. I do have several from years ago when I was actually settled into my quilting. Moving, organizing and the most adorable grandson has kept me from doing much quilting. And now that I have the new toy, it's practice practice, practice until I am comfortable with the machine and my abilities. I'm really happy I spent the money, I am not having a hard time with it.
    My favorite doctor of all time, left to raise her baby. (Can't blame her for that at all) I was switched around to different doctors, two of which I never met in person. One of those doctors sent me a letter telling me to go get blood work done. I didn't recognize the name, so I didn't go. I need to have my physical, but I don't like starting with new doctors, and if I am uncomfortable...well, that means I get stupid and don't go! I did have my mammogram which was fine, and earlier this year I had surgery, so the doctors who took care of me with that gave me a clean bill of health in that department. I'm just hesitant to go to another new doctor!
    Aside from my fear of the white coats...our weather has definitely taken a turn toward fall. This morning I heard the geese starting their migration. It is cold and damp, but it's the weather I prefer.
    It's good to see what you have been up to!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tyrol turned out great! I’m so amazed at those who quilt on their DSM. I can do placemats and tabl runners on my Bernina! But not much else. The quilting on that one is really nice.
    Yellow Twin Sisters are looking good. What fun to add the multi colored ones! Looking forward to seeing that one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tyrol looks amazing! I have fabric picked out in my stash for this one--after watching yours come together, I have to make one too! Luck lady to get this for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are one ambitious lady doing 3 quilts for Christmas (and who knows what else). Tyrol is beautiful and I'm sure Paula will be delighted. Your brother's quilt shouldn't take long. Do you have a plan for Bill's quilt? And lots of cheery yellow blocks. I've been procrastinating on bringing in the geraniums and other potted plants. It looked like we were going to have an early frost, but it didn't happen so I left things outside. But it won't be long now, so I should get a move on.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tyrol is not only beautiful it's a happy quilt. I have never seen the pattern anywhere else. Lots of good things going on in your sewing room!!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Cathy! Glad to hear all is well with you and Bruce. We've been having a slightly warmer Autumn ourselves but we are on track for the 50s by the end of the week. We've got plenty of Fall color all around us, though! Your quilt finish is beautiful and it seemed to come together rather quickly. I love your next project as well - that Christmas panel is one of my favorite. {{Hugs}} and take care. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tyrol is one that makes me smile so I have no doubt it will be loved by the new owner. Looking forward to seeing 'the truck' as it evolves because you know I have a thing for old trucks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tyrol is gorgeous, gorgeous! I've loved the pattern since you showed the first few blocks and seeing it finished is such a pleasure. Lucky Paula to receive such a beautiful quilt. It must feel so good knowing that you'll be giving her such a treasure :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tyrol is gorgeous! Isn't it great when you find a wonderful way to use fabulous fabric from your stash?!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!