Saturday, October 24, 2020

Life in the Slow Lane

I guess that when you’re retired and are in the middle of suffering through a pandemic with the rest of the world, there’s no shame in admitting that one’s life is not exciting and eventful. We don’t have to get up and go to work (thankfully), nor do we have to worry about kids in school (although there is concern for the grandkids). We don’t have to travel, although we’d like to. But we’re not until things are safe again. So what does that leave? Errands - appointments, grocery shopping, and occasional “gotta-do’s”. The highlight of our week this past week was when Bruce got a new prosthetic attachment for his arm that allows him to hold a guitar pick and play his guitar or banjo. Honestly, I never thought I’d be so grateful to hear a banjo! We don’t have pictures yet , but we’ll take some. First, though, he is just modifying the end of the attachment so the pick-holder part is a little longer and doesn’t necessitate the use of so much shoulder action. 

A meme I found online says it all for us about 2020. If you’re offended, sorry/not sorry.


Also this week I did a lot of batch cooking because the fall nesting instinct hit hard. Over two mornings I made chicken tortilla casserole (enough for 4 meals), beef enchiladas (2 meals), chili (4 meals), baked apples (a panful of of those for a week of guilt-free evening snacking), minestrone soup (4 meals) and chicken tortilla soup (4 meals). I’ll do lasagna in a big IKEA roasting pan (makes 6 meals for us) this weekend, but the rest of the soups I’d planned (white chicken chili and split pea with ham) will have to wait until we free up some containers. That’ll probably be after Thanksgiving, when I’ll likely be doing some leftover turkey batch cooking. The truth is I’m a lazy cook. I like having meals on hand so that meal prep is often nothing more than popping something in the microwave. That leaves me more time to do something else.

My "something else" this week was to sew. I’m nearing the end of my regular Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks for our Yellow October. Today I’m linking up, as usual, to Scrappy Saturday.

First I worked on getting some yellow International Sister blocks made. This first one was sent to me by my friend Preeti, the pattern originator. She had a gray background to it, which we both agreed didn’t work. So I picked it apart and inserted my usual Kona Snow.


Then I sewed up three Sisters from some of the African fabric I brought back a couple years ago from Kenya. These blocks will go into some of the Harambe Humanitarian fundraising wall hangings I’m making.


Then, because I have so many yellow and gold scraps, I sewed three more Sisters.


Here are all seven yellow Sisters together. I’m getting antsy to get all these sisters sewn together. I’m planning to spend some time early next quarter to just buckle down and get several of the wall hangings assembled in one huge push. 


Then I began working on my final RSC monthly project, the “Creature quilt” in yellow scraps, chunks and orphan blocks. This is where it stands for now.  Since I took the picture, I’ve actually sewn all the sections together and trimmed it. The bold yellow and black print scraps were sent to me by dear Nann, so they influenced the choice of black as the accent color. 


The name of the quilt was going to be Creature From the Golden Galaxy, but the black stripes and general colors really call for an apiary-themed name. Golden Hive? Golden Skep? Bumbling Creature With the Golden Honey? Yes, I know; I’m over-thinking it, especially since it’ll just be a donation quilt for Quilts for Kids. But ideas are welcomed! 

I also finished the flimsy of a Christmas panel quilt for my brother. The flimsy measures about 56x66”, a good size for a lap quilt for my brother, who is short. The backing is pieced, so it just needs to be basted, quilted and bound. That should happen this week before month-end, just like the yellow Creature quilt.


And I think that just about wraps it up for me this week. The furniture moving last weekend went well, and we were able to get all the old stuff donated and hauled away. For the coming week, Bruce has no appointments with the occupational therapist or the prosthetist. That means I don’t have to drive anywhere and will instead concentrate - maybe - on shampooing carpets. We have three rooms I want to do - two bedrooms and my studio, which is about the size of two bedrooms. Since we do have our own carpet cleaner, I can take it one room at a time at my own pace. But, like the batch cooking, I have to psych myself up to do it. So it may or may not happen this week. 

24 comments:

  1. love the meme, I also love banjo music! Great Sisters blocks, well all your yellow is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scattered Goldfinches or given the way 2020 is going Shattered Goldfinches? I ove your sisters!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what you mean about “psyching” yourself up to do things. I’m the same, particularly for housework and gardening. I’ve learned that if I feel “in the mood” then I should do that task NOW and I usually enjoy the task, do it quickly and well. Over the years I’ve realised that if something needs doing and I’m not in the right frame I mind I should leave it alone because it usually ends in tears. However, your Yellow projects march on, as does a Bruce with his prosthesis. I so admire him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is wonderful news for Bruce to be able to hold the guitar pick again! What a lift that must be for you both! I love your yellow and gold sisters. They remind me that I have some of that Kenyan fabric that I could use that way, too! How about Creature from the Golden Honeycomb? That's going to be a fun, happy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Creature from Bumble Bee Acres!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool that Bruce can play the banjo again! My husband told me at least 20 years ago that when we got older he just wanted to sit on our big wrap around porch and play the banjo as I embroidered something... Well, we finally have the wrap around porch although the rest of the house isn't done -- but it's a WIP. I bought him a banjo one year for Christmas (probably Y2K.) He hasn't learned how to play it, but he does have some natural musical talent. Someday...

    LOVE your international sisters. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool there is a prosthetic attachment that allows Bruce to play banjo and guitar! I miss having my oldest son at home, picking out songs and reminding me of my dad. The 2020 logo is great; trying to figure out how to incorporate it into a quilt, or maybe a mask! I'm the same kind of lazy cook you describe, but haven't been clever about filling up the freezer with prepared food (although until hurricane season is over with the threat of power loss, it's crazy to have a full freezer). Would love to hear more about your recipes. The yellow Sistas are great! And how about "Bee Best Creature" for your yellow creature quilt (being totally snarky here).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had not seen that one but boy does it fit! Too funny. Sounds like your freezer is all set for a while of meals. Love that he now has a pic end so he can play. I'll bet that is a great sound to hear.....enjoy the sewing this week. (I'd put off the carpets... they are not going anywhere!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m so happy to hear that Bruce has a way to play music. That news made my day...and pushing me into the happy zone from the depths of despair is quite a lift. And I love the variety in your yellows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bruce's banjo-picking is a day-booster for a lot of us! What a great accessory!
    I really really really want that 2020 logo on a t shirt...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post! Banjo/ guitar music again! Dinners in the freezer. Nothing better! Your international sisters are so cool. I’m looking forward to seeing the banners! Amazing Creature quilt. No suggestions for a name, but there are some good ones in the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yellow Creature: Oh Pooh (h is optional)
    A full week with no doctors? When was the last time that happened?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your 7 Sisters is so pretty in those dreamy yellows...
    Wonderful that Bruce can make his music once more--great to have live music in the house isn't it?
    Things are much the same here with us two retirees...grocery, crafts, housework (ugh) walking--- repeat repeat... somehow though the days seem slow they are all flying by fast...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the 2020 joke. The cartoon doesn't offend me but the year 2020 has for the past several months! Lol! Glad to hear about the prosthetic attachment for Bruce. His music will soothe his soul over the winter months as well as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree about an "exciting" year that has been boring. Are you freezing your batches of food? canning? great yellow projects

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the yellow International Sisters blocks. I can just imagine how pleased Bruce and you must be about the string picking news. Bruce must have great determination for all of this progress. My husband spent much of the day playing Mr.BoJangles on different guitars. I agree with Gayle, the meme is perfect for a t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many mixed feelings about the banjo picking. If Bruce enjoys it, that's great. He's enough time zones away from here that I can be magnanimous. I have a nephew who plays quite well, but his singing actually makes the banjo cringe. All your nesting meals sound really yummy, real comfort foods for me. And of course your yellow scraps are bright and cheerful! May the Motivation Fairy touch you with her twinkly wand this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah, I so relate with you on your take on Retirement During The Time of Covid. It's the same as mine! Like many others our travel plans have been put on the back burner. However, we live in a resort community and OMG - the area has been busier than ever before with people from every state wanting to 'get away'. So they came here. Good for the local economy but I just wanted to scream at them to go back home! Okay, rant over. I love your cooking/nesting instincts. Freezers are a wonderful thing. And, of course, your yellow blocks are great! Stay happy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You can't keep a good man down. Determination can overcome many obstacles. Your prepared ahead meals all sound delicious. I don't have the freezer space to do that. I assume you have a system to make sure such meals don't get buried. Your International Sisters will make such great wall hangings and should be a good fund raiser.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is so amazing to hear Bruce has picked up some fine motor skills. We never did seem to be able to cut down on the amount of food we prepare each meal after the kids left home. So we usually eat the same meal twice in one week and one day a week we have a meal like bacon and eggs or grilled cheese that don't generate leftovers.

    Your Sisters are beauties and it has been fun to watch all the Creatures this year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Cathy! Nothing wrong with a slow pace in the slow lane. I could use some of that right about now, and I guess it was forced on me with a cold out of the blue. How does one pick up a cold with social distancing and masks anyway?!! It's kind of a scary thought since I don't want the virus either. I can just imagine how thrilling it was to hear the banjo and have Bruce playing! WOWEE! That is amazing and he is amazing. Thank you, Lord. Finally, I have been sewing Preeti's Sisters as well. I think 19 of the 25 needed blocks are ready. My plan is to make six extra blocks to giveaway like how I received six from Preeti. I'm shooting for Thanksgiving week - that sounds like a good week to be thankful and giving, right?! I hope you both are taking care and staying safe. Many blessings! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, I didn't adjust so well when I retired. I still felt like I had to account for what I accomplished each day...until my grandson brought a Boxer pup home. Then it was all fun and games. I especially like those Sister's blocks with the larger bold patterns. The Hummer is in the shop and we haven't been off this mountain in 2-1/2 weeks. Apparently mechanics are in slow mo too!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  23. How wonderful that Bruce can play again! Amazing what they can do with the prosthetics these days...and, even though the device is amazing I think a great deal of the credit needs to go to Bruce. He's not letting all of this get in the way of living his life and that's wonderful.
    I'm not the least offended by the 2020 logo - it made me laugh, and I do think it's fitting. Love the yellow 'Sisters' and was thinking how pretty they'd look all done in small floral prints too. I suspect your brother is going to love his quilt - the theme is certainly 'him' isn't it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!