Saturday, September 26, 2020

End of the Red, Red Road

 Hi all. I hope you’re all recovering from the sad news of the week. We are still reeling and feeling all the emotions - sad, angry, hopeless, determined. Ruth Bader Ginsburg was an icon and champion for equal rights for women. There are so many adjectives to describe her life, her work and her spirit. She will be sorely missed and greatly mourned. I don’t have the words to even begin to describe what her loss means to women and girls and open-minded and fair people of all genders. So I won’t even try.  Yesterday I went through my collection of vintage lace collars and pulled a half dozen that are good RBG reminders. In addition to wearing one often between now and the election (especially in public in this red state), I’m going to offer them to my family and friends who have a daughter or granddaughter who may want to dress up as RBG.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

This past week I finished up my red Creature quilt, Creature With the Ruby Shades. See those cracker blocks, two in each corner? They rather look like sunglasses to me. Yes, I know I have an overactive imagination.

This quilt polished off all my red scraps, including those two red squares with a surfer and shark that Sally sent me. In fact, this quilt was almost named Creature From the Red Surf. Also, I should point out that I see the misssssnake I made with the placement of the bottom right corner strings block. I noticed it when I had laid out the pieces in last week’s picture, and I thought I had fixed it. But noooooo..... Alas, it will remain misssnaken for life.  Creature finished at 42.5 x 50” and was quilted with a simple stipple.

The background and binding is this delightful red gingham print. I have lots more of that and look forward to working with it again.

At month-end I usually do my roundup of Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks in the color of the month. I know it’s not month-end yet, but this is the last Scrappy Saturday of the month, so here goes.


Top Row: Scrap Basket, 7 International Sisters blocks, 1 Waffle test block for 2021 RSC
Middle Row: 19 selvage half hexies (I don’t count the solid pieces), 24 strings blocks, 13 Twin Sisters
Bottom Row: 14 Split Nines, 1 Scraptastic Star and 2 Beachcomber blocks

That’s 82 blocks, plus the red Creature quilt. Oh! and I’ve finished all the Tyrol blocks too. Here are the last four. They now total 20.


I will try to finish sewing the top before the end of the month (four more days!) I have all the sashing and cornerstones cut, so it’ll be pedal to the metal time for the few days. This is a sample - just pinned up on the design board - of what the blocks will look like with the sashing and cornerstones.


My daughter-in-law and I went shopping yesterday and picked up some nice orange print fabric for the backing. So this quilt will be entering the Serious Construction phase soon! And that’s good, because there are three more Christmas quilts waiting in the wings for their turn under the needle.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
QUILTY ORPHAN ADOPTION - WINNER!

On Thursday morning as scheduled, we drew the name of the winner of my Quilty Orphan Adoption giveaway. (The event coordinator was Cynthia of Quilting is More Fun Than Housework). The winner is NIKKI. I have sent her two emails at the email address she gave, but have not heard back from her yet. I’ll give her until Sunday evening to contact me. If I don’t hear from her by then, we will draw another name. Nikki, if you’re reading this, check your spam folder and contact me immediately! Thanks! 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Finally, how about a cute cat picture? Because cute cats make everything better. At least that’s what Alfie says!

Linking to Oh Scrap! At Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.

18 comments:

  1. An amazing amount of red blocks and you have finished all the Tyrol blocks which look fantastic. The Red Creq5ure quilt is great, you certainly know how to turn orphan blocks into a great imaginative finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! A cute cat photo makes everything better! That's soulful! Love your photo collage of the month... those selvedge hexies stand right out to me! I want a striped hexie quilt like that! Maybe something like it next year!
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that cute cat pictures make everything better! And so does all your scrappy red goodness. Love the corner blocks in your creature quilt - not only do they have sunglasses, they have noses, lol! :>) I, too, am mourning the loss of Ruth Bader Ginsberg, and am worried more than ever for our country. Love that you have a collection of vintage lace collars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Alfie is so right--made me smile--thanks!!
    Also worried for our country in lots of ways--
    I used to have some vintage collars--will have to look and see what I have left??
    luv, di

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off - that bottom corner looks like glasses with a nose or trunk... person or elephant and I love it! Adds charm =) Great job on all the red blocks this month. I too was so sorry to hear of RBG's passing. I don't think this country realized what a gem we had with her and all the wonderful things she did for women. Let's hope those rights are not taken away....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful array of Red pieces!! and your Tyrol piece is just lovely...you've done some great work this month...
    The passing of our courageous RBG is just so sad...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. You used up ALL of your RED scraps?!?! Congratulations (or condolences?) are in order!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! Your "vision" of sunglasses in the red creature quilt is spot on! In fact, my first thought was the glasses reminded me of a character from the Rugrats cartoons (my kids LOVED Rugrats, so we watched lots of episodes!). Depressed about RBG as well; so much we take for granted now was won by her. Thanks for the cute Alfie picture. I have tried to get pictures of my cat, Moxie, but they never turn out well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at all that pretty!
    And Alfie is absolutely right - and at this point we need all the cheering we can get.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of scrappy red goodness in your blocks and in your Creature quilt. Congrats on all the stash busting this month. The Tyrol blocks are stunning! Good luck with getting that quilt all assembled.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Red Shades -- yes! (Or should that be yesssss!) There was a FB comment that wishing "rest in peace," though well-intended, is a Christian saying. For Jews there is "may her (his) (their) memory be a blessing" (which I use often) -- but even better: "may her (his/their) merit be a shield." Isn't that wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cracker blocks definitely look like rose colored glasses. It's hard to see through those lately, alas. But the quilt looks plenty comforting for someone and by giving it away you make the world a better place. That really and truly does count for a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I see the glasses and the turned string block doesn't bother me at all. 99% of the people looking at it would never notice. The red creature quilt looks like you planned it that way. Also grieving for RBG and so very worried about the future of our country on many fronts. It is going to be a very long two months and even then it won't be over for who knows how long.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMGosh, I love this creature quilt! Those Cracker blocks really do look like sunglasses! So cool! Question about your Sister blocks. Are they the large ones or the smaller ones! I really want to do some, but they will be the smaller ones.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Cathy! What a fitting memorial of RBG, one that will be noted by those who chose to see. Ahh, that picture of Alfie. I could use a little kitty purring on my lap today, kneading my legs with those cute little paws. Great recap of all of your red projects and blocks. {{Hugs}} and take care. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Alfie! You are so DARLING! Love your red shades! I now have a furrball sleeping on my lap, who finally weighs 1 pound on our scales! Before that she was "weightless".

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Cathy, I am just checking in. You emailed me earlier this week about the orphan adoption, I sent you an email with my address. I haven't heard if you received it. I sure hope you did. Thanks. kthurn@bektel.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!