Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Shaken, Not Stirred


No, I will not ask the question about what is next for fear of the answer.

This morning, about 7:10 a.m., we were awakened from a sound sleep by an earthquake. We just rode it out in bed; it didn’t seem to last more than about 5 seconds. Having grown up in Southern California, with vivid memories of the Sylmar quake in 1971 (when our front lawn rolled like water in a swimming pool), this wasn’t that bad. Apparently, the quake was 5.7 in magnitude. And, the epicenter was, appropriately enough, in a town called Magna at the very west end of the Salt Lake Valley. There have been more than a dozen aftershocks, only one of which we’ve felt here in Murray. Apparently it’s the worst earthquake to hit Salt Lake since 1992.

About 40,000 people are (or were) without power and sustained some damage. We are business as usual here at our house. I’m reading the news, but not going anywhere to find out anything more than that. Today? More laundry (the never-ending ball and chain), sewing and probably I’ll make that huge lasagna for dinner (and at least five other dinners’ worth the same time).

Now, I want this post to have a picture or two, so here's what I’ve been sewing on...

This is Creature from the Shaking Coronavirus Aqualab. The layout is final, the name is not. But it’s apropos, isn’t it? It’s just mostly pinned up on the wall for now, but today’s project is to finish sewing it all together. I hope to baste and quilt it this week sometime too. What day is it? Oh, only Wednesday. Yeah, I’ll have time to finish it by the weekend. I’ll just check my social calendar to be sure..... hahahaha.

It turns out that I had 50-ish "On Ringo Lake" blocks instead of just the 25 that I thought I had. I finished one quilt top a few days ago (no picture yet; I’ll wait until the weekend). It used 13 blocks, set on point 1,3,5,3,1. Now I’m doing a straight set with 30 blocks (six rows of 5), using the sashing and cornerstones I had already sewn. I’m doing a row per day, so today after doing row #3, I’ll be at the halfway point. No rush. Unless we start shake, rattle and rolling again...


Sewing the two On Ringo Lake quilt tops together was my OMG (one monthly goal) for March, and I’m on track to make it to the finish line. So far, neither plague or earthquake has stopped me, so I’m optimistic. Not tempting fate, just optimistic.

Stay safe, friends. Please stay in and avoid going out unless absolutely necessary. Take care of yourselves. Get plenty of sleep, take your vitamins, practice good hand washing habits and eat healthy things. I’ll meet you here on the weekend.

12 comments:

  1. Could life get any more exciting? 🙄 Glad you are still sewing through it all. Your Creature from the Shaking Aqualab (or whatever you decide to call it) is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy - what next. Glad you're okay! Good thing we can self-medicate with our sewing. Good advice in your last paragraph - unfortunately the getting enough sleep part often eludes me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Stay safe and stay optimistic! Good luck with that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update...I was thinking about you and did wonder if you were sewing too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you can call it Shaken, Not Stirred.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy you are okay...I like your teal RSC blocks all codified together...
    I am still using up scraps and stringing along--oh and crumbing too...I don't know if I can ge them all together or not--we shall see...sheltering in place here...hugs stay safe Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are making great progress with On Ringo Lake and I am jealous. It's looking good. I've got the Frolic top together but trying to decide on borders, as I don't really care for the original setting. I've also started a small quilt with a charm pack that I love. Why is it easier to start new projects than to finish ones already started? I've never experienced and earthquake and the idea terrifies me. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep! The working title IS a bit long. Maybe just Creature from the Aqualab??? It's looking good, though... whatever you call it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When in doubt, sew sew sew! I'm glad you didn't have any damage from the earthquake. Growing up in California definitely helps put things in perspective. I remember the 1971 one, too, although we lived in Iowa at the time. My aunt and uncle lived in Newhall and their big floor to ceiling mirror shattered right behind my aunt as she walked past it. I'd say that's seven years of GOOD luck...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you're OK - the idea of earthquakes terrifies me! Stay safe and keep on stitchin! (keep on stitchin' mama, stitchin' my blues away!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Ringo Lake will be gorgeous!!! You are unstoppable and if you feel sluggish, I am here for a pep-talk :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Earthquakes, tornadoes, pandemics. Is someone trying to tell us something?
    On your earlier post about the aqua creature quilt, someone suggested aqua man and I meant to follow up on that by offering aqua mania as a possibility. Of course, I totally forgot to include that in my comment. Good choice to use the On Ringo Lake blocks to make two quilts. We arrived home from FL on Thurs and after some running around to several groceries, I finally found all the things we needed to restock the fridge. Now I can settle in to sew since the governor has ordered us people over 70 not to set foot outside our houses beginning Sunday at 8 PM.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!