Saturday, March 21, 2020

Life on Hold

I feel as though the world, and my small life and sphere, are on hold. Or maybe a better description is that it’s shrinking. Not that I had any travel plans internationally this year and domestic travel is even not advised. Heck, we’re not even encouraged to go across town unless we have an urgent need. Our lives have been reduced to our homes, solitary walks (presuming good weather and no more earthquakes), and the occasional trip to the grocery store. Not that we’ve tried the grocery store. We’re thinking maybe next week during one of those special early senior hours. Maybe we can restock our fresh fruit and veggies. Or maybe find something chocolate. Priorities, you know.

How are you faring in your corner of the world? Thank goodness we all have our technology to keep us connected with family and to allow so many to conduct business from home. My heart aches for all those who are laid off and for the small businesses who are struggling to stay afloat. Many of them, like many COVID-19 victims, won’t make it.  It will be a changed world when we emerge from this. Whenever that is. 

* * * * * * * * * * * *
There is a growing need for home-sewn cloth face masks in the medical community. Even the CDC (who has some instructions for making them on their website) has OK’ed the use of cloth masks for physicians, nurses and other front-line health responders. They are best used in conjunction with a plastic face guard that can be sanitized. Hospitals can wash and sanitize the cloth masks between their single usages and thus recycle them. So, starting back east, and surely moving inevitably throughout the country, there is an urgent need and call for home sewers to make face masks. There are plenty of sites on FaceBook, YouTube, etc. Just Google Million Mask Mayday. Again, it’s home sewers and quilters to the rescue! Check out this FB page.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

But enough of that (for the moment). Let’s talk, um... maybe Rainbow Scrap sewing??? LOL

I had so many teal/aqua/turquoise scraps left that I decided to add another block to my monthly repertoire. It’s a split-9 block. Please excuse that I didn’t trim the block before I snapped a picture.


I made 9 of them. There is no specific plan for them yet. I’ll just make them and worry about assembling them down the road.


And I did finish the flimsy for my teal/aqua (etc) Creature scrap quilt.


I had so many good name ideas from you all that I wanted to call it The Shaken (Not Stirred) COVID Creature from the Aqua Lab. But that is too cumbersome. So, meet Creature from the Aqualab. As usual, the flimsy is partially pinned and partially hanging from my design wall, so it looks a bit weird. But, we’ll just blame it on the virus...

My March OMG (One Monthly Goal) was to finish up the two flimsies from my On Ringo Lake project from a couple years ago. I’m pleased to say that I’ve finished them both, and will be linking up to Elm Street Quilt’s finish linky party when that goes live in the next few days. It’s live now. Let’s go visit!

Flimsy #1, On Ringo Pond, measures 45x45". We will not discuss the misssssnakes I made in piecing and orientation. This will be a donation quilt.


Flimsy #2, On Ringo Lake, measures about 55x66”. I’ll be keeping this one. It won’t have any big  borders because it’s just right as-is for me. And also because I don’t have anything that’s right for a border and I’m not going out shopping to get any fabric. But now I’m not sure. I could see a thin white stop border and at least some bright binding. We’ll see what I can dig up.

I am so happy to have these flimsies done! This weekend I’ll get the Creature and the Ringos basted and then quilted. I’d like to have them all completed for March. If that happens, I can then turn my focus to finish up my Seeing Stars wall hanging and an International Sisters wall hanging. Both of those projects are ready for assembly.

* * * * * * * * * * * 
So, while the virus rages all around us, Bruce and I are safely cocooned here. Thank goodness we have our hobbies and interests. And I’m particularly glad that Bruce is not only my sweetheart, but my best friend. We get along great, and are even having some fun during the madness. He spends his afternoons in his play area - his “laBORatory” doing “Big Science”.  This week he even voluntarily cleaned his bathroom, no hazmat suit required. Usually I have to ask him to do it first, and then I get a silly reply like (in his best Dr. McCoy from Star Trek voice): “Dammit, Jim, I’m a scientist, not a housekeeper!” Then we laugh and he does it. And I keep busy with my iPad and some housework in the mornings (someone please save me from myself!) and sewing in the afternoons. I think this will get easier as the weather warms up. It would be nice to go outside for awhile.

19 comments:

  1. So happy to hear that you are doing okay in this stressful time...I am feeling like we are living in those distopian novels that always scare me to read!!
    We are sheltering in place also; I am a homebody so for me not too difficult; but Thom is a goer-- so it is quite a change for him...gosh--he vacuumed yesterday and dusted (even the blades on our ceiling fans...wowsers!!)
    Other than that we have common interests--we are both retired musicians and at 4 pm we sit down, turn on either jazz or classical music and chat...avoiding the news--we only catch up once a day to see what's happening locally...
    I love your Creature hahaha--I am almost through sewing my bits and bobs and then I will attempt to get it together...hugs and stay safe and in touch.. Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just when I was beginning to worry that you would NEVER get around to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge... BOOM!! All TEAL all the time in those amazing block and quilt tops! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be careful what you ask for. I ordered a mound of compost and mulch at 8am friday and they were delivered at 9am. They hired extra and got more trucks so they could get as much delivered before a shut down order. So yes, I am in the sun with shovel hoping for snow. Don’t waste happiness on me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your teal projects are looking great, Cathy! I really like that new block - they have lots of neat layout possibilities. Life here sounds much the same as what you and Bruce are doing - mostly at home - sewing, reading, Netflix, tablet surfing, chatting, a walk. It definitely feels good when we can get outside! I feel lucky that those things all appeal to me, even though I am also missing eating out and activities with friends. We can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blocks are fabulous as always.
    A tiny warning about the grocery store during senior hours. DH and I did that on Tuesday! There were more people than usual at that hour! And still no bread and the toilet paper was in baskets but the shelf was empty by the time we got to that section of the store! It was impossible to stay six feet away from anybody! Just an FYI,

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely attitude, you are managing to stay quite positive about the current situation. It is a truly unique opportunity to spend some nice at home. We are so lucky to have hobbies we love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you're hanging in and keeping busy! Stay well and happy and keep stitching those split nines - can't wait to see how you play with them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always good to hear from you and see what you are up to. I'm loving your blocks!!!
    I just finished three sets of pillow cases. They were meant to be prizes at my daughter's baby shower, which has now been postponed indefinitely. We had guests coming in from out of state and out of town, which is not a great idea in this day and age. So we have set aside all the non perishable items until we can use them...or we will just have our own party!
    Life is as usual here, for the most part. We have made two treks into town for the essentials. We have enough to last us a month, plus dog food, cat food, litter, and hay for the outside critters, oh! and enormous amounts of chicken food. Our daily routine starts off with me online to catch up with my online friends and family, then out to feed water and clean the critters outside. Thank goodness the warmer weather has reared it's pretty little head...that being said, we are expecting rain. (That is absolutely normal for us anyway!) We also have been using this time to finally clean out our shop which has been sitting since September. Our stuff that we didn't have room for in the house, and the previous owner's stuff that they didn't have time to get out before they moved. (There's a deal they made with us about that stuff) We got a good third or so of it done. But everything is outside in three piles...dump run, metal for recycling and cardboard. We have kept donatable items inside for now, when we can we will haul that up to Goodwill and/or our local outlet for donated stuff.
    Okay, this has become a novel!
    Glad to hear you and Bruce are doing your own things and having fun together in self imposed isolation. We are all in this together, I'm so grateful for the internet thiese days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blocks. One of my grandson's employees said to another employee "Shut Up And Do Your Job" It has become our motto of sorts here in our house, lol. Yup, it's a good thing Terry and I like each other. Like can go beyond Love sometimes you know. We are inconvenienced right now. we can live with it. But the papers to purchase our property in CA are ready to go....but on hold because the office is closed until the order to close if you are not an essential business is lifted.

    BE WELL.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, you finished a bunch of flimsies! That's good work during stressful times. I can't seem to get any blocks to join up, but I'm sandwiching and quilting and binding. Those seem to take less brain power because stippling is mindless for me. But today I'm going to join the Elvira Quarantine Quilt Along because the pattern looks simple, and it's, um, a pattern. Someone else will tell me what to do, and what they say will be correct, straightforward, and with zero long term health implications. For today, that is Enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear you and Bruce are getting into the rhythm of the new normal. Hahahaha!
    I've made Split Nine Patch blocks before, but mine had three HSTs, not the solid piece in the middle. I like the design possibilities of your block - it could become my new RSC inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Split 9 Block was named Perkiomen Valley Block when we made quilts/blocks for those affected by the Thomas Fire in California. I love how they look on your design wall. Thank you for giving us a glimpse of your day with Bruce. It is heart-warming and reassuring.
    I am sure that when we emerge on the other side of "this", things will be different. If we can get rid of this administration, have better healthcare and paid sick leave for all in this country, it would be worth the pain. Big Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the addition of Split Nines to your RSC repertoire. I won a bunch of blocks from Block Lotto long ago and haven't yet done anything with them. I think they were grays, purples, whites. Hmmmm, where are those blocks...

    ReplyDelete
  14. How nice the Split 9-Patches look! I started a Ringo during the hint releases but have totally rethought that plan. Mine will end up being crib-sized which I too had already named On Ringo Pond. Stay healthy & positive. This too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your Split 9-Patch. I have a mind to make a such a quilt. Love your On Ringo Lake. Mine is still in pieces. Maybe when the quarantine is done, so will the quilt. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful tops. I really like how you set the On Ringo Pond blocks on point with the teal piecing setting them off. My husband retired last August, people keep asking with some concern how I like having him at home. It's funny, because we both love this new retirement life. We are best friends & truly enjoy each other! Stay safe, glad you are staying home!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So much teal loveliness, I really like the extra teal in the setting for your smaller Ringo Pond. Just started making masks for our local hospital today. So many places to send them, the nursing homes and first responders can use them too. Be safe, and we'll all look forward to a return to normalcy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chocolate - of course, one of the necessities of life! Just be sure that you wash all fresh veg's & fruits with soap & water as soon as you bring them home because you don't know who has been handling them. You've been busy as usual creating pretties. I've really enjoyed seeing all the teal projects 'round and about on the internet this month. Will be fun to see what the new colour will be for April.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!