Tuesday, February 26, 2019

OMG! Lattice Bird Quilt Top Finished!

I am so thrilled to have the top to Lattice Birds finished! It measures 86x108”, which makes it the largest quilt top I’ve ever sewn. In fact, it’s so large that I really have no place to properly display it for pictures, so you’ll have to bear with me here.  :-)   Finishing this quilt top was my OMG - One Monthly Goal - for February.  So, I’m linking up to the finish linky party with Patty at Elm Street Quilts to celebrate.


My February goal was to get the top pieced, bordered and trimmed of threads by month-end. February is a short month and we were on vacation for a good part of it, so it was a tall order. But I did it and even added three instead of just two borders.

I couldn’t decide whether to have a green or a blue stop border. So, I draped some fabrics, took pictures and Bruce and I looked at them on the computer. Blue was the hands-down favorite.


And here are some photos, although the quality isn’t very good. The quilt top is way too big for my design board, and because my studio is in the basement, the ceilings are a bit lower, and there is a soffit in the upper right portion above the quilt.


I had to wrap the quilt around the corner to get the entire view in, below.


The kitties wasted no time in hiding behind the quilt. I’m hoping they haven’t been talking to Molly much because she’s a natural climber. Alfie and Darla don’t climb things as a rule (their cat condo is the exception), so I hope they don’t get any ideas....


I should have moved the tables before I pinned up the quilt, because once it was up, there was no way to move the tables out of the way for pictures.



But for now, these pictures will suffice to at least prove that I finished the top, which was my February OMG goal. Now I need to finish piecing the back and prep it all to send to the quilter. I am hoping for a quick turn-around so I can get this finished up by the end of March. But once it’s sent off, it’s out of my hands and into hers. And that's worth two in the bush. I think.

25 comments:

  1. Job well done! Molly can no longer get all the way up the design wall, so she would have gone behind and then they would have fought each other. In a massive pounce, one would make sure to pull the whole thing down...no climbing necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I love it! Such gorgeous birds and fantastic colors. That border fabric is wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a fabulous finish and for meeting your OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this quilt! I had no idea it was getting so big when you were working on it. No wonder you were procrastinating on the borders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, perfect borders! I love this quilt so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy, this one is beautiful! I agree that the blue inner border was the perfect choice for it. I would be sending this one off to a quilter, too - it's huge! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I hope you're keeping this one! That way I know exactly where it will be when I turn to a life of crime and grab it under cover of darkness...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quilt is gorgeous! I hope you are keeping it for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! It is such a happy quilt, something we all need this time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is a breath of spring time in songbirds which we are missing. The border fabric is exactly right. Will it be going on your bed?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cathy! Congrats and great job finishing your February OMG. I just LOVE this pattern and all the different fabrics you used. I think the blue was a good call for the border as it continues the color from the nine patch blocks so nicely. What a generous sized quilt it is! I can't wait to see how it is quilted. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! The songbirds are just what is needed to perk me up! Can't wait to see this one quilted!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful quilt top! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful quilt and great accomplishment

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seeing your finished birdie quilt brought a smile to my face this morning! It looks fantastic - but I knew it would as I watched the blocks unfold, month after rainbow month! I had no idea it was going to finish at such a large size. Maybe long-arm quilting would be a worthwhile option for quilting it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on getting your goal finished! It is a beautiful top!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So, a bird in the hand is worth two in the quilt? Beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a beautiful quilt! Hope you are having (had) safe travels. Congrats! I think you are a Block Lotto winner this month! Check out the site to see!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would be thrilled with this finish, too! I love bird quilts, and this is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! This is so pretty!!! Agreed that the blue border is a great choice and I really love your outer border fabric. The whole thing just looks great together. I've enjoyed watching these birds come together and the (almost) finished product is even more amazing than I imagined!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on getting that huge top pieced. It is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love, love your quilt! Can’t wait to see it quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think the OMG in this case should refer to the Oh My reference!! It's beautiful - it's gorgeous - it's making me happy just to look at it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!