Friday, September 22, 2017

Sewing More Orange

Hi! We are back from our fantastic week-long vacation to Colorado. We had a great time visiting friends and family, but I will save the recap for a separate post in a couple days.  For now, I want to link to Scrappy Saturday as our September color is orange. And boy, did we see a lot of orange leaves in the mountains of Colorado!

Before we left, I sewed up 20 bowtie blocks. They will finish at 4” each. I’ve now completed 177 of the 304 blocks needed, so I am 58% of the way to the block finish line. This is definitely a 2-year project.


Next up are the 13 Friendship Star variation blocks that I sewed while on vacation. They are an unfinished size of 6.5” each.  I now have 135 of 136 blocks needed, and we still have PINK to work on. The extra blocks will probably end up on the back of the quilt.


And I have been sewing 12” autumn-themed blocks, using some of my old Farm Girl Vintage blocks and adding new ones from here and there. These five were sewn last week.


I have a total of 4 (first one from a couple years ago not shown) and they will go in the four corners. I still have several blocks to work on: an owl, a crow, a turkey, a schoolhouse, a squirrel and some Indian corn. I am hoping to get this one done by early October.

Finally, I sewed some pillowcases for the Hurricane Harvey/Irma relief efforts. I had hoped to finish 10 of them, but did managed to get just half of them done. That will have to do, as I want to get these, along with 3 donation quilts, off this week. There is a local quilt shop who is collecting, and I may just save myself some postage and take them there instead of mailing them back east.....


We returned home from vacation on Wednesday night, and I have spent Thursday and Friday doing laundry, grocery shopping, errands, housework, etc etc.  I haven’t even unpacked my machine yet!  After one final errand on Saturday morning, I plan to commune with Bernadette (my Bernina 550QE) all afternoon and not come up for air until dinnertime.  I hope you have a pleasant weekend too!

Cathy maroon

11 comments:

  1. You've accomplished lots of lovely orange and fallish things this month, even with a week of vacation. Look forward to seeing your finished projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great progress this month. The bow ties will be a great project to carry over. Swing the stars come together next month will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your orange blocks are all so pretty, Cathy! I also love the multi-colored leaves and acorn - they are so fun! Good job on the pillow cases - my fabric is still folded on the cutting table, but I will get to that one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great collection of blocks. Love the maple leaf ones, works really well using different coloured squares.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great orange blocks - I like the text fabrics in the Bow-Ties! I have been eyeing all the great blocks from Farmgirl Vintage, yours look wonderful and make me think of fall...which is in short supply here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the fall theme blocks. Can't wait to see all the others. The acorn is especially cute. Relax and have a nice week at home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got a lot done, even having been on vacation! Y'know, if you made bigger blocks (bow ties) you wouldn't have to make so many... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a busy quilter!! Looking forward to hearing more about your vacation. ORANGE blocks for the RSC are looking good!! Pink is headed down the pike. Are YOU ready?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had a nice week away. I look forward to reading a recap of the week. I especially like the colorful maple leaves blocks.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. The acorn is adorable. It's going to take quite a squirrel to break that nut!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Orange isn't a colour I use much of and I don't know why. Your blocks all look so bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!