Wednesday, March 16, 2016

This and That

Now that we are feeling better around here, it’s good to get back into the swing of things. I much prefer to blog at least twice a week, and it gives me an opportunity to show things I might otherwise skip.

In the last post I showed a picture of my blocks for the Splendid Sampler.  In the “group” photo in the bottom right was a horrible version (of a very nice block) that I knew I had to redo. Here is the redone block and it measures a perfect 6.5 x 6.5 inches.


I think I figured out what I did wrong the first time. In cutting out the blocks, I was so worried about color placement that I didn’t trim all the pieces to size. Oooops. That other block ended up at 7.5”, LOL. I have caught myself before - forgetting to trim the last two sides or something. Either I am starting down the road to dementia, or I had better pay attention when I cut!

I also did my two monthly blocks, as planned, for my Notting Hill Quilt. It is named after the fabric line Notting Hill by Joel Dewberry which is the primary (but not the only) fabric I am using.

This month, for the Sugar Block Club (see link in sidebar), Amy designed a variation of the orange peel block. It was labor intensive, but I really did enjoy the process.


And since I’m doing two Notting Hill blocks per month, I pick the second one myself. This month I selected Card Trick, a block that I once used in a wall hanging about 15 years ago. I should get that out and snap a picture some time. Anyway, here is Card Trick.


So, that brings my total up to 10 blocks of 20 needed - I am halfway there!! Still on track to finish the blocks in August. I will have white sashing between the blocks in the final quilt.


Back in November I was selected in three different prize drawings/contests as a prize winner (Gingher Scissors from Cynthia Brunz’ Quilty Adoption prize drawing; Hand-dyed fabric from Vickie Welsh in Angela’s Rainbow Scrap Challenge monthly participation drawing; and 3.5 yards of fabric from Fabric Jam in their December Design Contest).

Fabrics I selected from Sew me a Song
My good luck is back again (my lottery ticket bought when we visited Arizona notwithstanding).  First, I won a $25 gift certificate to  Sew Me a Song, a cute fabric shop on Etsy for my Helen’s Garden quilt being drawn in the 4th Quarter 2015 Finish Along.  The fabric I selected is in the picture on the right. Becca, the owner, is so amazing!

AND just this week (on my birthday, the 14th), I won the Pi Day Giveaway from Laurie3.14 on Instagram. The prize? 314 bits of fabric, ranging from inchies to triangles, rectangles and a piece leftover from a tumbler quilt.  So awesome!

If things DO come in threes, I’ve got my fingers crossed that maybe this Friday’s lottery (which is the last one on my ticket) will be fruitful. HA HA.

Cathy maroon

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday a few days late. OMGOSH, I LOVE that Card Trick Block!! LOVE IT!!
    I sure hope you win #3 and it's The Big One!!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday wishes! So glad you won some nice goodies to play with - the best sort of birthday presents I think. And also glad to hear that you're starting to feel better!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!