Friday, September 18, 2009

Z is for Zinnia Flower Fairy Block

I finished the work on this Flower Fairy block for Wendy in our CQInternational Round Robin. All Wendy's blocks were in shades of pink, and she wanted only that colorway with other colors in the fabrics and white (no ivory). I selected the Zinnia Flower Fairy because I'd never done a zinnia before. This is a 6" block.

It's a pretty straight forward piece; stitches include fly stitch lace, twisted herringbone, chain, herringbone, straight stitch, cretan, and feather. The Zinnia is just silk ribbon layered in two rows and two colors with variegated cotton french knots in the center.


One flower is an oya, another a piece of vintage rayon tape which I gathered into a double flower. Some are dyed lace and some are crocheted; flower centers are buttons (some vintage) and beads. I enhanced her tiara with beads and added lots of German glass glitter to her wings. Her petaled skirt matches the flower.

Our Challenge for September in CQI is to try a new-to-us flower or technique. I'll be able to post this picture in the Challenge album because it was my first zinnia.

Until next time,
Cathy

10 comments:

  1. Very pretty! Nice blog, I will have to look more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, this is just lovely. The fairy's skirt is darling.

    I tried to comment at CQI but Yahoo's not letting me post.

    PS - Have you spoiled that grandbaby yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Cathy, I love what you did with my block! It is so beautiful! Can't wait to get it home to see up close and in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Cathy,Wow,Wow. What beatiful work. I must say I like the color and work very much.The zinnia flowers is great and the beads on the fairy hair and wings are gorgeous. You sure have very very good ideas. I wish I could be like you.
    Laurette.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy... as usual, another complete winner! Thanks for the lovely letter... I hope to find some spare time very soon to get "back in to the swing of things"! Guess what... September, and summer finally arrived here, I must say, yesterday was the hottest day we have had, but today... feels like winter is just around the corner... Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely!! What delicious colours and details :)

    I haven't made my challenge flower yet. Seeing your beautiful zinnia reminded me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love her glitter, love her skirt and the colors are just a DELIGHT! Thanks for sharing her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your stitched piece is beautiful. I am amazed at the beauty that you put into each piece. I just wanted to let you know that I am having my 100th post giveaway and I wanted you to join in on the fun! I know you will love the stuff that I've chosen, so come over and see what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous!!!

    Hope you have had a terrific time at the retreat!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!