Thursday, October 6, 2011

Heart for Betty

One of the icons of Crazy Quilting, Betty Pillsbury, suffered a lot of damage to her home and business herb gardens this past summer. Hurricane Irene caused unprecedented high waters, spreading destruction in her path. Cheryl Anderson, a member of Crazy Quilting International and a general good hearted person, is organizing a “Hearts for Betty” campaign.  We were just asked to make a 6-8” heart for Betty, to give her good cheer. This was one of the projects I worked on at the recent CQI Retreat in Colorado.


Instead of crazy quilting it, I cut out two hearts from muslin. On the one designated as the front, I added a crocheted (by me) basket and flowers I made with silk ribbon and organdy. One flower is from a vintage trim, some are from lace overstitched with silk perle, and some are tatted. Then with the help of a small vintage crocheted circle, vintage millinery leaves and vintage buttons, all the little nooks and crannies were filled.


Between the front and back I sandwiched a small piece of batting, then machine stitched it closed. On top of that, I stem stitched the border by hand and trimmed the edges with pinking shears.  The dangly things are just bits of vintage rayon, scrunched. The hanger is a piece of vintage green trim.

The picture of the back didn’t turn out, but it's plain except for my initials embroidered in white and a small lace heart attached.  I will be sending it off to Cheryl this week.  It was a sweet, quick project that I thoroughly enjoyed.

WE HAD SNOW TODAY!!!  Snow on October 6?!?  It’s not unheard of, but still…  Luckily, it didn’t stick, but it sure ruined the day for our Halloween Hay Maze at Wheeler Farm…

What are you working on?  I have pictures to share of my stuff in the next post or two.  I haven’t even decorated my house for autumn yet, and it’s my favorite season.  Perhaps tomorrow, but definitely by the weekend.

And finally, I have NOT forgotten the prize giveaway I talked about.  I will get that together and announce the details this weekend.  Stay tuned!

Hugs,
Cathy maroon

8 comments:

  1. Really pretty, Cathy. I finally mailed mine today.
    Please don't send the snow east! We're enjoying a lovely Indian Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy - just beautiful! What a nice gesture... thanks for sharing.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy muy lindo el corazón y muy noble la causa.Besos.Olga.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home Cathy! Lovely heart. SNOW - guess winter is truly on the way. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your heart is just beautiful Cathy......thanks for sharing girlfriend.....hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Precious heart! Beautiful!
    Happy first snow! Bahhhh! I'm not looking forward to it. Working on "Lace" today :) ~Cat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Cathy...beautiful heart and very well embellihed. You do nice work.
    Hugs.
    Laurette

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely Cathy. Betty will enjopy it.

    SNOW? Glad we are leaving for florida Sat. It has been 80 here this week. Crazy weather all over.

    Hugs

    FredaB

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!