Friday, February 16, 2024

When the Going Gets Tough . . .

When the going gets tough, the tough have to take a one-week break from blogging. So, last Saturday I was finishing up the painting I needed to do on the house - 2 bedrooms, baseboards and a kitchen wall. We also had our contractor here adding baseboards to a closet I never finished, and fixing a leak in one of the storage sheds. The photographers were here on Monday. One took aerial photos and the other took interior photos, and we were fortunate enough to have sunshine that day. The listing went live on the Multiple Listing Service on Tuesday, and I was a crying basket case the entire day (stress relief?) The home showings started on Wednesday. We’ve had 3 showings so far (Friday night as I write this) and have an Open House scheduled for tomorrow. As well, there are 4 additional showings scheduled over the next three days plus a notice from one broker to be expecting an offer already this weekend. Head = spinning. 

But the good news (or should I say Additional Good News?) is that I actually got some relaxing sewing time in this week. Some of it is secret sewing (whose reveal date is on March 6), but much of it is Rainbow Scrap Challenge sewing. 

Finished: two 12” Star blocks. I love these so much! These were done week before last. 


This week I sewed 18 string blocks at 6.5”. No plans yet for them. I’ll be linking up to Scrappy Saturday when that link party goes live in the morning. 


I’ve also been keeping up with the Stay at Home Round Robin (SAHRR). Here was my progress from week before last - Triangles, as called by Emily for Round 3. 


And then this week, Brenda at Songbird Designs called Square-in-a-Square (aka economy blocks). 


So, I am current with this, too! Yay! 🎉. I can’t remember the size of the top offhand, and I’m ready for bed and am NOT going down to the studio to check it. I think it’s 30-something by 40-something at this point, with two more rounds to go. 

By this time next week we hope to have a sold home, a newly purchased condo, and be well on our way back to sanity. Oh wait, then there will be packing and moving. Oh well, sanity is overrated anyway….

20 comments:

  1. So pleased to see your blogpost today! I guessed painting and generally getting the house spruced up for viewing would have taken up all your time. However that’s all behind you now and you did manage some lovely cheerful sewing. SAHRR coming along beautifully. Great clean cut colours. - really works well. Good luck with the viewing. One good thing after all your decluttering and downsizing there will be less belongings to pack and unpack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck on the house selling fast and be able to put this all behind you. I like that string block with the white strips in it creating unity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the dreaded packing - I remember it all too well. We were lucky when we moved here because our house deal didn't close until a couple months after we got the apartment so we could move a little at a time and then just get movers to bring the big stuff. Try not to stress too much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the red and white blocks, Cathy.
    My daughter has a closing on her 1st home the 28th--so we empathize with your "head spinning" for sure!! We all all excited for her...Good luck with the showings...they can be nerve wracking!! Sending good thoughts your way...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sanity is definitely overrated! I don't know how you got any sewing done at all with the house going on the market. I love the SAHRR and the string blocks. Fingers crossed for a quick sale and end to the stress. Just keep thinking about a new sewing room to get you through! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missed hearing from you last week but I certainly understand. I looked the house up on MLS -- after seeing snapshots all these years now I get the whole picture. The price was a surprise (not that I know anything about the market in the SLC metro area, let alone Murray) and hope your offer comes close. Just remember to clean up thoroughly after each sewing session!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck & I hope you get a good offer ASAP. We decided to bite the bullet & hire movers & used https://slc.theothersidemovers.com/home-our-story The Other Side Movers. They were fast, efficient, so nice, & reasonably priced. I was a little nervous but it turned out to be a fantastic experience & helping a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty sewing - and I'm sure you needed it as a stress relief. Hope you get multiple and generous offers quickly. When my daughter and husband sold their first little house a few years ago, they were so overwhelmed with the repairs and touchups before putting it on the market. Then they got 2 asking-price offers in the first 5 hours it was on the market. That meant they were scrambling to get a house to move to - as they didn't think it would sell so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your STARR is coming along nicely! And yay! People are looking and maybe buying! Whew!
    I can believe your feeling relieved after the last week, all that work will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how your colors on this round alternate. Amazing that you can continue to sew with all that’s going on for you. Probably actually a sanity saver!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We do need our sewing therapy, don't we?! I hope the house sale goes quickly and smoothly, Cathy. Pretty red blocks this week - I especially like those stars! Your SAHRR looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, it looks like your house has attracted a lot of interest. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here out. I'm impressed you got so much sewing done. I finally got busy making some blocks for Cynthia at "Quilting is more fun than Housework" and got them in the mail before I left for FL.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely, lovely!
    Janie SAHRR group

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on getting your house on the market and best of luck for a quick sale, Cathy! Glad you managed to get in some sewing time. Your SAHRR is coming along nicely, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've done a lot getting your house on the market, hope it sells fast! Love your red blocks, great progress on SAHRR, love the border! Wonderful that you got in some relaxing sewing time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your SAHRR is looking great. Good luck with your move :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Selling the house is a very emotional time. You have done plenty of purging, we should all do that, but we dont until we really need to. Best if luck with all the viewings, and where to when an offer comes in?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whew! My head was spinning with all you have on your plate and also thanking above that it's you and not me! Hahaha! Glad you were able to get in some quality sewing time. Everyone needs some relaxing time and especially us creative quilters! Looking forward to the housing updates -- selling as well as buying.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! You've been busy. I hope your house sells quickly. Your quilt is looking great. Thanks for quilting along with us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh boy, I didn’t get back to reading RSC posts on Saturday. Then there was Project Quilting to give some thought to and SAHRR, to try to figure out. I’m a bit frenzied, but still not in your shoes. Sending you good wishes and fingers crossed for a good week and beyond!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!