Saturday, July 8, 2023

An Almost-Finish, A Dinner Out and (Lack of) Fireworks

It was another great week of summer here. We only spent one day in the yard because it was hot and there is less to do. Maybe I can get out there again this week, weather and obligations permitting. I do want to repaint the white wicker rocker and the backyard wrought iron railing, but I need to have a perfect set of circumstances come together for that - (1) having supplies on hand - check! (2) having a nice summer early morning with no breezes, and (3) getting my lazy butt out of bed before 8 am to get outside and just do it. I’ll let you guess where the problem lies…

Friends Ruby and Cousin Kim were over on Sunday, and we had our usual fun sewing, chatting, and listening to music. I sewed these Little Bricks squares, which finish at 6”. It’s Red July for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, so I’m linking up to Scrappy Saturday

I also sewed seven more Sawtooth Star blocks with a red background for the Christmas quilt I’m making this year. I have seven more of this 12” size, then I can drop down to the 8” stars.

Monday was the day for my doctor appointment to get cortisone shots in my knees. When I was heavier, I was getting them every 4.5 to five months. Apparently losing weight really does help, because it’s been 11 months since my last shots! In the afternoon, I began a lot of batch cooking. I seem to get a wild hair to do this sometimes. This time I made a large pan of lasagna (4 meals), a ham and broccoli quiche (2 meals) and lots and lots of strawberry-rhubarb (from our garden) compote. It’s all tucked safely away in the freezer. Well, except the quiche, which was safely tucked away in our tummies!

Tuesday was a quiet Fourth of July for us. Even the neighborhood fireworks were tame. This was a nice, cooler day which we spent outside working in the garden. We harvested all the peas, and the sorting and shelling commenced! Here is a recycled photo of Darla on one of our patriotic quilts.

Wednesday happened to be another sewing day with Kim, and I got all the white background of my International Sisters quilt quilted. Later in the week, (Thursday and Friday afternoons) I was able to finish up quilting the Sisters and their dresses. Here’s a peek. It’s trimmed but not yet bound.

The background is just a small meander with white thread, while the headpieces and dresses are mostly varying patterns and more loosely quilted so they will hopefully stand out a bit more. I’ll give all the details and show some close-ups next week. I’m intending to get some “glamor shots”  of this one. But for now, here is the backing - fabric I bought in Kenya when I was there five years ago. 

The fabric is a heavy cotton Dutch wax resist, and in Africa the fabrics are put up and sold in 6-yard bolts. In this case, it was three yards of each of these two coordinating prints.  I saved some of both of these prints specifically for this backing. I also sent some fat quarters to friends at the time, so now I only have a few scraps left. And that is how it should be. 

On Thursday I had a Weight Watchers meeting in the morning. I usually go on Tuesdays, but with Independence Day being Tuesday, I had to switch this week. I lost another 1.8 pounds, to bring my total loss to 52.6 pounds. I’m 11 pounds from goal, which is the top end of my healthy weight range. I’d like to go ten pounds below that goal number just to have a little flexibility within my range. I won’t be thin, but at least I will not be obese. A healthy weight. 

Thursday was the day that Bruce was asked to attend and present at a special session for Prosthetists, Physical Therapists and Occupational Therapists ahead of the annual EmpowerFest 2023, which was being held in Salt Lake this year. EmpowerFest is presented by the Hanger Clinics (they’re a national chain of prosthetics and orthotics). EmpowerFest is an opportunity for persons (adults and children) with limb loss to connect, make friends, share resources, learn and to try out lots of new skills - like horseback riding, rock wall climbing, dancing, and on and on. 

Bruce was one of four amputees in this professionals-only session, along with three other locals - friend Sam (the No-Handed Bandit on You Tube who lost both arms in a work-related electrical accident as a lineman); Craig, who lost a leg in a motorcycle accident, and John, who is a quadruple amputee and can sling his left arm prosthetic like a gun from a holster. John was so charming and funny - he just lit up the room! 

L-R: Kyle (Bruce’s prosthetist), Bruce playing the banjo, and Kelly

It was an interesting and enlightening evening, especially for us few lay people. And we made some new friends and had a really nice meal. :-)

Friday was just grocery shopping, sewing and some chores, which brings me current. Now I remember, though, why I don’t get as much done in the sewing room even when the heat of the summer sets in; there is always garden harvesting to process! It won’t be long until I start bringing extra veggies along to my Weight Watchers meetings. It’s more fun to share than to stand in a hot kitchen! 

Have a great week!

10 comments:

  1. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your last two posts, Cathy. Kudos to you for losing weight and how wonderful it is for your joints too. I feel like I am gaining in the heat and humidity. Your blocks in reds are lovely and International Sisters is beautiful. I love reading about food and a new expression to me...get a hair. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great week, with some sewing, fun, and friends all rolled into it. You can't beat that! Your Sisters quilt is beautiful, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waytago on your weight loss, Cathy. (Or should I say weightago?) Summer activities can definitely cut into sewing time. My turkey loaf recipe makes enough for two meals and the last time I made it into two small loaves, the second of which came out of the freezer today. I need to do more of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m trying to imagine your veggie garden - it sounds huge for you to be producing so much food! Any photos? Glad your sisters quilt is well on the way, it looks a masterpiece. Red bricks blocks and Sawtooth stars look great. What a busy week you and Bruce have had - all sounds lovely. And your weight loss marches on - congratulations 🌟

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry,Cathy, the previous comment was from me. Forgot to do the twiddly bit at the beginning to register my name. That’s because I’m trying to watch an exciting Wimbledon match at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful that your hubby was part of the amputee presentation. I presume the organisation provided you with transport and accomodation? Love your red RSC sewing and your Sisters Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on your red bricks! And your International Sisters quilt is beautiful! I am also a fan of Cooking once , Eating at least twice! The more often I can do that, the better! This time of year it’s all about balance. Sewing and quilting, garden tending and harvesting, and then there’s cooking and cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The International Sisters quilt is going to really stunning.

    Your husband playing the banjo is so inspiring. I'm always amazed by how well a determined person can overcome the loss of a limb or any other disability. My 10 year old granddaughter was telling me yesterday at her swim meet about the girl with 2 prosthetic legs that was on the swim team last year (HS senior) and how fast she is in the pool. There was a picture of the young swimmer flashing on the scoreboard and congratulating her on qualifying to swim in the Para Olympics trials. Pretty impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much to love in this post, Cathy -- starting with the prosthetics conference. What a long way science/medicine/technology have come! All your gardening is an inspiration (but not inspiring enough for me to tackle the weeding)--I'll stick to the cooking. And you may not know how you've encouraged my weight loss, but you have!.....Oh, and quilting: seeing red is a good thing this month!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Sisters quilt turned out wonderfully. Good for Bruce for being part of such a gathering - I'm sure his banjo playing skills were much admired by those who are wondering about the possibilities. He's a wonder!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!