Saturday, May 6, 2023

Quilting and Shoveling

The title of this post pretty much sums up my week. I could close now, but my guess is that you’re probably here for some pictures. 

Well, as far as the shoveling soil into the garden beds goes, I’d have pictures if the weather would cooperate. But the last two afternoons have turned stormy, and when thunder rumbles, I don’t stay outside. But I’m approaching the 2/3-done mark with the soil. But I did get a lovely picture of our flowering pear (ornamental) tree early in the week. Look at that brilliant blue sky!


Bruce has been getting all the drip lines installed in the veggie beds. It’s slower going when you only have one arm. Yesterday we went to one store and bought lots of necessary supplies for the watering systems, plus I got annuals for the flower pots, ground covers, rose gloves and new pruners and even a new bright blue glazed pot. Oh, and all the tomato and pepper starts. Next week we’ll visit our favorite nursery to pick up a new tree, a David Austen rose, and more perennial flowers and shrubs for the front flower beds. We’re approaching our budgeted spending limit, so I told Bruce I may have to pick up a babysitting job,  (wink!). I’m not always good about “unselecting” plants. Anyway, with a little luck and sunshine, we may actually have something to show next week. Or by the end of the month for sure…

May is for playing with our orange scraps for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. My first order of business was to frame ten of these jungle blocks with orange.


All I have left now are the last ten blocks to frame with red, then I’ll have all 40 done (10 each in blue, green, orange and red), which is enough to do two kid quilts. 

I did layer up and quilt two scrappy finishes as well. Here is my scrappy green project from March, Creature from the Green Gulch (or was it green gully?) (whatever). Finished size: 39.5x48.5”.

As usual, lots of orphan blocks, partial blocks, scraps, strips and chunks were used in assembling this monstrosity cute little scrappy quilt.  Even the back used up its fair share of leftovers.


Here is Purple People (and Scrap) Eater (thanks, Judy!!):

And the back: 

Purple People Eater measures 41x48”.

These two scrappy quilts, along with 8 others from the last couple months, will be dropped off at our Quilts for Kids workshop today. I’m only staying for some of the workshop because we are having an early Mothers Day gathering and dinner out with some of the family. But my morning today will be spent helping out with the annual neighborhood cleanup. I’ve got a lot of green waste to dump - rose cuttings and branches that can’t be composted. 

I finally broke my weight plateau and managed to lose 2 pounds this week, for 47 total. I’m hoping to hit -50 pounds sometime in May. But if not, there’s always June! I just wish it would warm up so I could wear some of my cute new summer clothes!

Have a great week!

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful tree, wonderful blocks. That was a good idea for how to use the scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another busy week, Cathy. Well done on the weight loss. Perhaps it’s the exercise from shovelling soil? The two scrappy quilts are good fun, lots to interest the child who receives them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, that pear tree!!!! Awesome! Good for you on breaking the plateau! Probably as Linda above said, the extra shoveling put you in the zone! Love the green and purple creatures quilts. Well done!!! Now, put on those cute new capris and grab a sweater just in case. Have a great celebration....Happy Mother's Day!! Early!!! *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure being outside and more active in the yard will help melt those few pounds away. Beautiful tree. All the spring flowering trees and shrubs sure make me feel happier and more energetic. Cute creature quilts, especially the purple one. Have fun planting all the new stuff.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. The jungle print has lots of colours to choose as frames, as you have done. It will be great to see this with all the colours you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your creature quilts are so much fun, Cathy! I love the creativity you show with putting all those different parts together into a cohesive quilt. Enjoy your gardening - I need to get going on that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those jungle blocks framed with orange - absolutely adorable. All of your scrappy quilts are very cute, and will sure be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Late to the comments! The pear tree is a drift of beauty. The critters are such fun!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!